Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bands/Musicians/Singers you dislike for no good reason other than.....

Comments

• Off the top of my head, Ozzy Osbourne and The Rolling Stones. Disliked for no apparent reason.
  • edited February 2020
    ads said:
    bobmunro said:
    Always found this a bit creepy ...

Nowt wrong with Angus!
    Apart from the shit music, school shorts, white socks, clark shoes and dressing like Jimmy krankie, absolutely nothing wrong
    The fact that it is anything but shit music (the other end of the spectrum actually) means he can be forgiven for his idiosyncrasy! 
  • edited February 2020
    Used to hate Simply Red but realised the music was too well crafted to keep that up. 

Don’t listen to Coldplay even though I like some of their stuff. Not sure why that is. 

I’d go with Jack Johnson. Smug prick with a guitar on a beach. You can hear the smugness if his voice when he sings. Banging on about how cool his life is sitting on a beach. Smug prick. 
  • Queen- Hate the music and the way fans of Queen expect you to the like them, like its impossible not too. Music for people not into music.

Morrisey- Horrible bloke, not a fan of his music as a solo artist, some Smiths stuff isn't too bad. But as its him, it makes it impossible for me to like it. Also slagged off reggae music in a racist way.

Noel Gallagher- Was a big oasis fan when I was younger, then realised their not actually all that and Noel isn't as good as he thinks he is. Remember him hating on Alex Turner as boring, despite the fact that everything the Arctic Monkey's have produced is better than anything by oasis. Don't actually mind Liam as he always struck me as someone who would openly listen to something new and different.

Skrewdriver- Doesn't need an explanation tbh.

Keane- Dull band, for even more dull people. 'Real Music blah blah'

Joy Division- Thought they were the dogs bollocks. Just Awful. Although Low Life by New Order was a semi-decent album.

• Cliff Richard - just makes my skin crawl
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Used to hate Simply Red but realised the music was too well crafted to keep that up

Don’t listen to Coldplay even though I like some of their stuff. Not sure why that is. 

I’d go with Jack Johnson. Smug prick with a guitar on a beach. You can hear the smugness if his voice when he sings. Banging on about how cool his life is sitting on a beach. Smug prick. 
    Plus Holding Back The Years was on the OF&H episode where Rodney got married and his middle name revealed. Great song and classic TV moments
  • Remember him hating on Alex Turner

Just to cross-reference the ‘Phrases you hate’ thread... 
  • Cliff Richard - just makes my skin crawl
    Cliff Richard singing at Wimbledon was one of the most horrific things I've ever seen.

The USA got Elvis and we got Cliff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Coldplay in general but Chris Martin in particular
    Mostly inoffensive MOR pop music shouldn't rouse any strong feelings at all
    Hearing his atonal caterwauling when performing 'live' on the telly was like finger nails down a blackboard, chewing on tin foil and stubbing a toe all at the same time!  How have they got away with it for so long?  Their meteoric rise to commercial mega success was on the back of getting bumped up the bill at Glasto one year, cos Emily Eavis was young'n'gullible enough at the time to think them capable, and cheap enough presumably.  But then there was a deafening clamour as pseuds, bumlicks and phonies had to be seen to be joining in with the manufactured epiphany of Coldplay suddenly being "spectacularly talented and y'know grown up and thoughtful and that."  Baffling.
    There is a riff/refrain in one of their pop hits, that I found myself playing on the guitar and enjoying - I hated myself for months for apparently catching whatever it is that they infect people with.  How relieved was I to learn that they'd lifted the riff wholesale out of a Kraftwerk tune?  Or as CM tells it, borrowed it and used it as a tribute and a salute to the kraut electro pioneers, yeah right, Martin pull the other one it plays 'Fix You'
    Whinging, mewling, self-pitying guff.  Twitching about with an oh so accidentally battered, small scale guitar, or plonking around on a shagged looking upright piano - impresses only the unfailingly gullible and the irretrievably f(l)akey.  That oh so carefully constructed effing "shyness" Do one you prat.  "interviews and all that praise and adulation make me uncomfortable" oh do give it a rest, you're not inscrutable you're just galactically vain.
    Chris Martin: the social grace and flair of Thom Yorke and the musical creativity of James Blunt.
    Yes, Yes, all well and good @StigThundercock but what do you think about Chris Martin, that’s what I’d like to know?
  • hawksmoor said:
    This may be controversial, but Madness. Novelty music. Suggs sounds like he’s talking rather than singing to me. Sorry in advance.
    Nope, I’m inclined to agree with you, cheeky chappies doesn’t buy it for me.
  • edited February 2020
    Adele (or Addle as I call  her). Just don’t get her at all.

Ed Sheeran. Because when you want to play Galway Girl on the jukebox his pathetic ditty comes up over the fantastic Steve Earle song of the same name. Which also predated Sheeran’s.
  • John Barnes. 
    One hit wonder and shit when he played for us
    Oi, John put together the 2percent and has always played well for us in that band. 
  • Coldplay-Gwyneth Paltrow is the most annoying human on the planet and anyone who once fell in love with the most annoying human on the planet must be awful.

Taylor Swift - creates social media feuds and arguments with celebrities only to have source material for songs and then complains about how everyone is mistreating her in a feud she created

Dave Matthews - any artist who goes on a 5 minute explanation of a song between songs at a concert - and his explanations of the song make no sense unless your stoned.
  • Lulu........FFS!!!!
    She still to this day inexplicably keeps getting rolled out on TV chat shows as a ‘swinging chick’ representative of the 60’s.
    Well I can tell you she never fucking was.....she was liked by the Mums and Dads and pop music crowd, but to us more trendy aficionados who appreciated better quality stuff she was a huge meaningless joke.
    Made one record “Shout”, other than that can anyone really name a record of note that people remember.
    Often waffles on when asked about The Mod Scene, Carnaby Street and Kings Road like she was part of it.......no she fucking wasn’t.
    She wouldn’t know a Purple Heart or Black Bomber if she was starring it in the face!  ;)
    Now, Marianne Faithfull......that’s another story. :)

• Lulu........FFS!!!!
    She still to this day inexplicably keeps getting rolled out on TV chat shows as a ‘swinging chick’ representative of the 60’s.
    Well I can tell you she never fucking was.....she was liked by the Mums and Dads and pop music crowd, but to us more trendy aficionados who appreciated better quality stuff she was a huge meaningless joke.
    Made one record “Shout”, other than that can anyone really name a record of note that people remember.
    Often waffles on when asked about The Mod Scene, Carnaby Street and Kings Road like she was part of it.......no she fucking wasn’t.
    She wouldn’t know a Purple Heart or Black Bomber if she was starring it in the face!  ;)
    Now, Marianne Faithfull......that’s another story. :)

When you mention Lulu and Marianne Faithful it brings to mind David Bowie because Lulu recorded The Man Who Sold The World, and Bowie of course wrote Life On Mars.
  • edited February 2020
    Noel Gallagher.  2 great albums 25 years ago.  Thought he was the new John Lennon, became a name dropping authority on every subject and his band turned into a latter day Status Quo.  
  • hawksmoor said:
    This may be controversial, but Madness. Novelty music. Suggs sounds like he’s talking rather than singing to me. Sorry in advance.
    Spot on. Novelty music for primary school kids.
  • Bowie, self indulgent old tosh.
    Kate Bush Likewise.
    Cliff Richard, Fake.
    Kayne West, just a dickhead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rod Stewart. Emperors 
    new clothes.
  • Queen, for no other reason than the music's shite.

Coldplay, for no other reason than the music's shite.

Boy or girl bands from the '80s onwards, for no other reason than they're manufactured.  I don't feel the same way about '50s and '60s incarnations, e.g. The Crystals, probably because the music's a lot better.
  • Olly Murs.  Nice bloke, loved by millions, done well for himself and very harmless and inoffensive.

Appears on my screen and I want the bomb to drop.

• Absolutely detest Kylie. 
  • Noel Gallagher.  2 great albums 25 years ago.  Thought he was the new John Lennon, became a name dropping authority on every subject and his band turned into a latter day Status Quo.  
    Bring back the flagging button immediately.  Heresy!
  • Lewis Capaldi, need I say more
  • Nicole Scherzinger. She's fit, really fit, but I just can't stand her. 
  • Taylor Swift. Can’t stand her
  • ads said:
    Lewis Capaldi, need I say more
    Was waiting for someone to mention him, I just don't get the ratings. Shouts a lot and has a famous relative, I can do all that (apart from the famous relative bit)
  • Apart from Lewis Capaldi it’s the man of the mediocre, and that mediocre Britain loves to love, and the purveyor of annoying voice and songs..... George Ezra.

The way the commercial radio stations (especially the one who play guitar music) fawn over him and mention his name 24/7 make me sick.

I shouldn’t have posted, as there Is always a reason to dislike him