Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Southall Tweets

Comments

• Options
    Gillis said:
    Some will find it cringey but I like it. 

For what it’s worth i think Southall has landed right on his feet. No way is he qualified to run a Championship club. Katrien was the same and it ended badly. However, I think this will be different because Katrien was up her own arse and couldn’t connect with the fans. As long as you keep us in mind you’re half way there. 
    Another major flaw with Meire was her unwillingness to listen to advice offered by people with experience of running the club (although perhaps understandable, if her remit was to run the club how Duchâtelet wanted, rather than to learn how to run it well).

Hopefully Southall has the wisdom and humility to listen to such advice when offered. If he actively seeks it out, even better.
    Agreed. I think it depends who is around. The board of directors seem experienced in business, but not sure if they have much football experience. Like you say, hopefully he actively seeks it out as no doubt it can be found. 
  • Options
    Could do a lot worse than employ @Grapevine49
  • Options
    In terms of qualifications he has an MBA so that box is ticked.

He's run businesses before.

He's worked in football and negotiated deals so has some relevant experience.

He also has Heller and the rest of the ADBD crew to help him.

Whether he's any good long term only time will tell.

Experience doesn’t necessarily mean success anyway. I wouldn’t want Murray to be chairman again for example. 

He’s an intelligent bloke and maybe I was wrong to say not qualified. Stand by my opinion he’s landed on his feet though. Seems to have sold the purchase to Nimer and landed a top job at the table. 

Agree that time will tell. Either way, he sold the club to Nimer who in turn bought us. That got rid of Roland so we owe him a pint already! 
  • Options

Experience doesn’t necessarily mean success anyway. I wouldn’t want Murray to be chairman again for example. 

He’s an intelligent bloke and maybe I was wrong to say not qualified. Stand by my opinion he’s landed on his feet though. Seems to have sold the purchase to Nimer and landed a top job at the table. 

Agree that time will tell. Either way, he sold the club to Nimer who in turn bought us. That got rid of Roland so we owe him a pint already! 
    he's landed on his feet but that isn't by luck - i think he will do well 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

he's landed on his feet but that isn't by luck - i think he will do well 
    I’m not criticising. Obviously I want him to do well and I quite like him. He’s definitely going to annoy people and could be a marmite character though. 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    CAFCsayer said:

If that hasn't won you over, you've got no hope... 
    Matt pushing all the right buttons!
    @Callumcafc fancy starting this when I have so much ammunition  :)  <3
  • Options

For what it’s worth i think Southall has landed right on his feet. No way is he qualified to run a Championship club. Katrien was the same and it ended badly. However, I think this will be different because Katrien was up her own arse and couldn’t connect with the fans. As long as you keep us in mind you’re half way there. 
    I think the big difference is that Southall has a working knowledge of football, is not a young fly by night without any business acumen. Whether his experience also allows him to run a multimillion and reasonably sized employing company only time will tell and it may be down to the support he gets from His Excellency.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Did MS get his Allez what not ring tone in the end?

Edit can find a scouse version and a cardiff version on the iTunes Store.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Addickted said:
    How would he hear about him?
    Through the Grapevine... :-)

They should make up a song about grapevine.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Uboat said:
    Addickted said:
    How would he hear about him?
    Through the Grapevine... :-)

They should make up a song about grapevine.
    I heard it
    I was wondering how you knew?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tweets and videos of man waffling or an owner who actually has the freehold of the ground and training ground?

Tough call.

It's 2020, so I guess we'll go with some videos. Everyone likes videos.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Can you imagine the programme notes?

Would as big as the Next Directory 
  • Options

What qualifications do you need to run a championship club?
    I don’t think an ex agent who hasn’t been particularly successful in business qualifies. 
    I’m pretty certain he has never been an agent himself but has worked for a company who were in some way or another involved with agents and their negotiations etc.
    I did see the name of the company/organisation on here a few weeks back but can’t remember the name.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    This isn’t as strange as it sounds.......he could at least be encouraged to come on here and acquaint himself with some Grapevine49 posts and thus become aware that we have such a talented individual in our fan base.
    G49 is retired I understand, he just may be interested in a project that would be very close to his heart, though I admit, I don’t know in what capacity that might be.
    Like Addickted has said......”He could do a lot worse”.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Tweets and videos of man waffling or an owner who actually has the freehold of the ground and training ground?

Tough call.

Your 12 posts since joining last month have been very positive, thanks for the contributions 
    Sorry mate, everything about this new guy is great!

I particularly like how he's a successful businessman with zero visibility online before owning Charlton and brief look at his previous directorships (both of which lasted comfortably under a year) brings nothing but clues of success!

Better?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Tough call.

Your 12 posts since joining last month have been very positive, thanks for the contributions 

I particularly like how he's a successful businessman with zero visibility online before owning Charlton and brief look at his previous directorships (both of which lasted comfortably under a year) brings nothing but clues of success!

Better?
    But, you preferred Roland?
  • Options
    DFTT
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    shine166 said:

Tough call.

Better?
    But, you preferred Roland?
    Skepticism of MS ≠ Praise of Roland

His ownership of the club is superficial at the moment. When that changes and we see tangible improvements I'll get behind the guy.

I'm keeping my expectations low and I will support the team 100%, obviously. I don't have to like the chairman.