Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The First Film that REALLY Scared you as a kid!

Comments

• They used to show old Hammer Horror films on Saturday nights around the late 70’s early 80’s and one called Creeping Flesh scared me. Also The Rockmen from the old B&W Flash Gordon series used to frighten me when I was little.
  • Exorcist.

Watched The Visit recently and that was some freaky shit! Would watch it again though!
  • Kiss of the Vampire. I was about eight and didn't make it past the opening scene, where a spade is plunged into a coffin containing a vampire.  
  • Chunes said:
    I watched Scream when I was a kid and it f***ed me up 
    Thank god I'm not the only one!!

For months I couldnt walk into a room @ home without having to check behind the curtains or door to make sure no one was standing there

Its the only "Horror" movie I've ever seen and because of that dont want to see any others
  • Salem’s Lot - the tv version with David Soul. Scared me shitless!
    Same. 
  • edited January 2020
    Jaws - wouldn’t get in the bath for weeks afterwards. The bit when the head comes out of the boat made the whole cinema scream. A bit silly when you watch it now but it scared the wotsits out of me at the time. 

Carrie - the bit with the hand at the end even though I knew about it before I saw the film. 

PS. Sorry for the spoilers!
  • The Poseidon Adventure.  Made in 1972 I think.  I must have watched it in around 1986 as I was about 8-10 I reckon.  Round at parents friends and with their kids.  A really vivid memory.
  • Not a film but I used to hide behind the sofa when Doctor Who’s opening tune would come on. I’d occasionally glance around the corner when Tom Baker seemed to have things under control otherwise it was safest to stay behind the sofa.
  • Theatre of blood. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Psycho
    Ditto.

I locked myself in the bathroom.
  • Not a film but I used to hide behind the sofa when Doctor Who’s opening tune would come on. I’d occasionally glance around the corner when Tom Baker seemed to have things under control otherwise it was safest to stay behind the sofa.

Me too. hated that music. I just had to check the date on this one, but I went with my parents to see Dougal vs the Blue Cat (this is Magic Roundabout Dougal, for those who remember) at Erith Cinema, around 1970-71, and we had to leave as I was so frightened. I reckon I was around 5 when I saw it, but I think this sets the bar nicely low!!

Me too. hated that music. I just had to check the date on this one, but I went with my parents to see Dougal vs the Blue Cat (this is Magic Roundabout Dougal, for those who remember) at Erith Cinema, around 1970-71, and we had to leave as I was so frightened. I reckon I was around 5 when I saw it, but I think this sets the bar nicely low!!
    That Buxton was right evil...  
  • Chunes said:

For months I couldnt walk into a room @ home without having to check behind the curtains or door to make sure no one was standing there

Its the only "Horror" movie I've ever seen and because of that dont want to see any others
    I used to come home from school and sit in the very corner of the living room with a knife until mum and dad came home
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I used to come home from school and sit in the very corner of the living room with a knife until mum and dad came home
    How old were you when you saw it?
  • The original Hills have Eyes used to do me as well, think he rips a canaries head off in one scene which I hated. We used to have The Texas Chainsaw Massacre but wouldnt even put it in the Video Player.
  • Film: Texas Chainsaw Massacre.... the finale was truly terrifying

TV: Hammer House of Horror’s episode called Charlie Boy about a cursed artefact. I was so scared I actually couldn’t move.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Jaws. 
    When the head rolls down the porthole on the sunken boat was a scene that scared life out of me. 

After that A Nightmare on Elm Street 
    Same for me with Jaws! A bunch of us managed to get in to see the film despite not being old enough! I wouldn’t go into sea at all during our next 2 summer holidays!
  • edited January 2020
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

... No, I was 10-11. Primary school. 
  • Ahhh, Hammer House of horrors, the theme tune used to just ruin me, the house that bled to death was one.

Funnily enough I watched one the other day.

Load of old shit, hahahah
  • Sponsored links:

• I would say The Omen and when I was quite young and anything would have probably scared me, Dracula has risen from the grave. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

... No, I was 10-11. Primary school. 
    Little bit younger than me then when I saw it

Some kid brought it into Secondary School (year 8), being a stupid / honest little shit I told my parents about seeing it when I got home... Mum complained to the school, the other kids found out so you can imagine who Mr Popular was for a while after that
  • Psycho 

I had to sleep on my parents floor. I was 11-12. 

Horror films/games still scare the bejeesus out of me, although i don't now have to sleep on my parents floor

• I can remember being freaked by Children of the Corn. Looking back it probably wasn't all that gory (or even very good) but I was 11 or 12 and it scared bejesus out of me.
  • Due to a lapse in the alertness of my babysitter (my gran), I watched Halloween when I was around 9. I was living in rural Ireland at the time and for a fair time after, I thought I was catching glimpses of Michael Myers in the evenings around my house!
  • edited January 2020
    The Christopher lee Dracula movies and of all things, Carry on Screaming. I was petrified of Oddbod and Oddbod Jnr.
  • edited January 2020
    Nightmare on elm street and Child's play
  • not a film, but................... The Cyber men on Doctor Who had me fearing for my life as a little kid.............. absolutely shitting bricks!!
  • As a kid, Nightmare on Elm street shit the life out of me, I was probably too young to watch it. 

As an adult the first blair with project nearly made me lose my dignity in the cinema as well as 28 days later. I didn't have any idea what the concept of either was as I used to have one of those cards where you could go as often as you liked to the cinema and used to take a punt on a lot of films.