Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Apologies if this isn't allowed (I will remove it if it is) But me and 4 of my mates that play for Dormansland Cricket Club (Mid Sussex League) are cycling over 100 miles to all the away ground that we would've been playing this season, to raise money for the cricket charity Chance To Shine. Any donations would be welcome and greatly appreciated! https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/dcc-boundary-riders?fbclid=IwAR2KJ_fdTMCzIyj6YaKF0SjeIqIwuA8W8ZvIMobHydJnsXfcnBRB3_mBjc0 Thanks guys!
  • Good news - England to play 3 Tests against the West Indies starting on 8th, 16th & 24th July

• Full credit to the Windies for coming over in such difficult circumstances, it can't be a fun tour for them
  • Full credit to the Windies for coming over in such difficult circumstances, it can't be a fun tour for them
    they need the money .. 
    they need the money .. 
    Away teams get little of the money, the ECB would suffer FAR more if the series was cancelled
  • I had tickets for this series, they have instead offered me tickets for the India series next summer! Happy Days!
  • I had tickets for this series, they have instead offered me tickets for the India series next summer! Happy Days!
    #metoo.
    Same here, I managed to miss the email - I usually zone out when Surrey email me - but read it now!

That's a very nice upgrade, especially as the India tickets would cost a lot more than the £55 I paid for my Day 4 Windies one.
  • Yeah i think i paid £90 a day last time India were over (Cook's last test)
  • Sponsored links:

they need the money .. 
    Away teams get little of the money, the ECB would suffer FAR more if the series was cancelled
    Full credit to the Windies for coming over in such difficult circumstances, it can't be a fun tour for them
    they need the money .. 

define 'little' .. the Windies would not be coming unless it was worth their while, or are you saying they are coming as a good will gesture ? 
    they need the money .. 
    Full credit to the Windies for coming over in such difficult circumstances, it can't be a fun tour for them
    they need the money .. 

define 'little' .. the Windies would not be coming unless it was worth their while, or are you saying they are coming as a good will gesture ? 
    I believe that the ECB are paying for the West Indies flight and accommodation and tests in isolation. Those  players have had their basic pay halved by their Board but will get full match fees. All of that is probably better than nothing but still much less than the England players will get.

There is one other aspect and that is that the West Indies do not have a home broadcaster whereas we have Sky - and their players do need exposure if they want to earn contracts with the various franchises around the world.
    they need the money .. 
    they need the money .. 

The ECB gets all the Sky TV money which pays for central contracts and helps keep the counties going.

If there was no cricket this summer and Sky took all or much of the money back, the ECB would be massively impacted, whereas the Windies board wouldn't be
  • Just watched the first ever England T20 international between us and Australia.

England got 179 and first of all forgot that Geraint Jones opened the batting with Trescothick. In reply the Aussies went from 23-0 to 31-7 and the batsmen out were each amongst the best in the world at that time - Gilchrist, Hayden, Symonds, Clarke, Ponting, Michael Hussey and Martyn. 

Same here, I managed to miss the email - I usually zone out when Surrey email me - but read it now!

That's a very nice upgrade, especially as the India tickets would cost a lot more than the £55 I paid for my Day 4 Windies one.
    Good offer and very different from that offered by Edgbaston. They are offering to hold the value of the ticket as credit. So not offering a ticket and you looks like I may have to pay any difference, if any. Is giving priority though, although they only talk about ODI v Pakistan or T20 v Sri Lanka. This implies no test v India! Would find this rather strange.
    It's a 5 test series, does anyone know where they have been allocated to? 
  • redman said:
    I had tickets for this series, they have instead offered me tickets for the India series next summer! Happy Days!

Good offer and very different from that offered by Edgbaston. They are offering to hold the value of the ticket as credit. So not offering a ticket and you looks like I may have to pay any difference, if any. Is giving priority though, although they only talk about ODI v Pakistan or T20 v Sri Lanka. This implies no test v India! Would find this rather strange.
    Headingley, Old Trafford and Trent Bridge (plus Lord's and the Oval)

Slightly strange to not play vs India in Birmingham, maybe they didn't want to give the Indians too much support in the crowd!
  • It looks like the MCC are just giving refunds, with no priority in next year's ballot. The Pakistan series I imagine will be rescheduled without any spectators as well
  • redman said:
    I had tickets for this series, they have instead offered me tickets for the India series next summer! Happy Days!

Headingley, Old Trafford and Trent Bridge (plus Lord's and the Oval)

Slightly strange to not play vs India in Birmingham, maybe they didn't want to give the Indians too much support in the crowd!
    thanks
  • England's first one-day international against South Africa in Cape Town on Friday was postponed after one of the hosts' players tested positive for coronavirus.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) said a player tested positive on Thursday following the Twenty20 series.

The first ODI of the three-match series, due to begin at 11:00 GMT at Newlands, was postponed at about 10:00.

The rearranged games will now take place on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55186540

• clive said:

England's first one-day international against South Africa in Cape Town on Friday was postponed after one of the hosts' players tested positive for coronavirus.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) said a player tested positive on Thursday following the Twenty20 series.

The first ODI of the three-match series, due to begin at 11:00 GMT at Newlands, was postponed at about 10:00.

that is a VERY late postponement
  • Sponsored links:

• It shows how well the players did in the summer to avoid any positive tests
  • clive said:

England's first one-day international against South Africa in Cape Town on Friday was postponed after one of the hosts' players tested positive for coronavirus.

that is a VERY late postponement
    Yeah, if it was The Valley I'd have already been sitting in the ground for 45 mins.
  • In the evening standard. Burns likely to miss part of the tour to be at the birth of his first child.
  • England's one-day international series against South Africa will begin on Sunday after the hosts' players tested negative for coronavirus.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55198758
  • Three games in very quick succession. 
    All our bowlers will probably be given a game. 
  • edited December 2020
    Sunday's match abandoned due to Covid. 

Two members of the staff in hotel that England are staying in have tested positive. This has serious ramifications for the tour and for South African cricket as they desperately need the TV rights for this series and the ones against Australia, Pakistan and Sri Lanka this summer. 

• In the evening standard. Burns likely to miss part of the tour to be at the birth of his first child.
    Very poor planning by Mr & Mrs Burns.

Given that football is no longer allowed before an England game of cricket as a result of the Burns' ankle break, one would hope that all players are now banned from having sex nine months before any match.
  • Two unnamed members of the England tour party in South Africa have returned "unconfirmed positive tests" for coronavirus.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55205727
  • clive said:
    Two unnamed members of the England tour party in South Africa have returned "unconfirmed positive tests" for coronavirus.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55205727
    Best now to call off the rest of the tour, come home, all get tested, rested and have a break until the start of the English season .. BUT of course this might mean repaying fees to the all powerful broadcasters.
  • The second one-day international between South Africa and England, set for Monday, has been postponed.

It was a decision taken jointly by Cricket South Africa (CSA) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

They are waiting for "independent ratification" of "unconfirmed positive Covid-19 tests" for two unnamed members of the England tour party.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55204076