Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2020
    ilordromford said:
    Must be a bowler.
    Starc? I know he’s scored a 99, but not sure if he’s got a ton?
    Or Southee? He can wallop it, but don’t know if he’s scored a ton either.
    I think it is Southee.
  • Options
    ilordromford said:
    Must be a bowler.
    Starc? I know he’s scored a 99, but not sure if he’s got a ton?
    Or Southee? He can wallop it, but don’t know if he’s scored a ton either.
    I think it is Southee.
    Well done both of you - Southee is the correct answer.

Remarkably, almost two thirds of Southee's 1668 Test runs have been 4s or 6s. He has a strike rate of 85.84 and a highest score of 77*.

To put this further in perspective, the likes of Ian Botham, Clive Lloyd, Ben Stokes and ABV have all hit less 6s than Southee in Test cricket. Whilst one could argue that this is a modern trend the fact is that someone like ABV, probably one of if not the best white ball strikers of this era, has scored almost 5 times as many runs as Southee and yet hit 8 less maximums than the NZ international! 
  • Options
    Stuart Broad.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Stuart Broad.
    See above for the answer. The former all rounder, Stuart Broad came in to bat against Pakistan at Lord's in 2010 with the score on 102-7. He put on 332 with Trott of which Broad made 169. He's also hit 44 maximums as opposed to Southee's 72

• Options
    Stuart Broad.
    Has a test hundred. 169 if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Stuart Broad.
    Nope, he's hit 44.
  • Options
    Thought it was gonna be Warne who I think has most test runs without a century. 
  • Options
    Stuart Broad.
    See above for the answer. The former all rounder, Stuart Broad came in to bat against Pakistan at Lord's in 2010 with the score on 102-7. He put on 332 with Trott of which Broad made 169. He's also hit 44 maximums as opposed to Southee's 72

Beat me to it. Love "former all rounder" his batting really is dreadful now. Though I did live seeing shades of 2010 Broad in one of the recent SA tests.
  • Options
    Wouldn't have guessed Southee

I guess to an extent the modern game is reflected in that table, you can imagine Chris Cairns if he had been around 20 years later being much higher up that list as he was a brutal striker back then!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    That is correct. And Southee is only 9th in terms of Test runs without scoring a ton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Was my first thought too. Have re watched 2005 ashes during lockdown and he was a right pain in the arse with the bat that series. Still somewhat enjoyed watching him trudge off for 94 which was his highest test score and remained so when he retired. 
  • Options
    I stumbled across Southee when attempting the relevant quiz from these:

https://www.thecricketer.com/quizzes.html

One a day keeps Covid away!
  • Options
    Stuart Broad.
    Has a test hundred. 169 if I remember rightly.
    A brilliant innings, albeit against slightly dodgy opponents (wasn't it Pakistan in the deliberate no ball Test?)
  • Options
    It was the deliberate no ball Test, but England were about 90-7 when he walked out there!
  • Options
    Is it a current Test player?
    No-one is!
  • Options
    Ashes 2005: The Greatest Series (repeat)
    Sunday 10th May 22:00 to 22:55.
  • Options
    https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/1670371

Sweat allowed to polish the ball, but not saliva

Local umpires to be used in Internationals too
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52838504

55 cricketers, including 14 uncapped ones in the squad for the lockdown summer. They need a large squad so that they can have decent practice games
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

55 cricketers, including 14 uncapped ones in the squad for the lockdown summer. They need a large squad so that they can have decent practice games
    No Liam Plunkett or Alex Hales. The former's wife is American and he has stated that he might explore the opportunity to play for the USA whereas the latter clearly hasn't been forgiven by Morgan or the selection committee.  
  • Options

No Liam Plunkett or Alex Hales. The former's wife is American and he has stated that he might explore the opportunity to play for the USA whereas the latter clearly hasn't been forgiven by Morgan or the selection committee.  
    Unfortunately I think plunkett’s international career For england at least, is over. 

Hales is a good player to have, but I think bairstow and Roy are probably the best ODI opening partnership in the world right now. I don’t think he’d dislodge them. I also think england are very wary of letting people back in who might be troublesome since the whole Pietersen fiasco. 
  • Options
    Surrey might struggle to get a side out if and when county cricket returns - they have 9 of their players in 55!!!
  • Options

Unfortunately I think plunkett’s international career For england at least, is over. 

Hales is a good player to have, but I think bairstow and Roy are probably the best ODI opening partnership in the world right now. I don’t think he’d dislodge them. I also think england are very wary of letting people back in who might be troublesome since the whole Pietersen fiasco. 
    Banton will be seriously pushing for an opening spot too
  • Options

Banton will be seriously pushing for an opening spot too
    Yep banton is extremely exciting prospect and I think could be a better player than hales.
  • Options
    😣😣😣😣
  • Options
    Strong Surrey = Stromg England. 

That's before you look at the likes of Sibley, Jordan and Laurie Evans who all came through Surrey's academy. 

Joking aside if we dont get a full international schedule this summer I would love to see a few One dayers and T20s of England vs England lions. I reckon we could put out 2 really competitive sides. Would be interesting to see. Would also love it to be like in the build up to the 2010 world t20 where the lions beat the actual england side
  • Options

That's before you look at the likes of Sibley, Jordan and Laurie Evans who all came through Surrey's academy. 

Joking aside if we dont get a full international schedule this summer I would love to see a few One dayers and T20s of England vs England lions. I reckon we could put out 2 really competitive sides. Would be interesting to see. Would also love it to be like in the build up to the 2010 world t20 where the lions beat the actual england side
    But, to be fair, Foakes and Topley didn't
  • Options

If it came to the crunch and there was no international cricket this summer, you could have say North vs South (or some other split) games to at least give cricket lovers something to watch