Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Fantastic! Just saw the Lions score as well. Few good performances in there, most notably Lawrence who scored 190
    Yes saw the lions. What is the standard of the CA XI though? No names I recognise. 
    It's made up of mainly young pros with the odd exception including Jake Lehman who is Darren's son. That said, the likes of Bryant, Pope, Jewell and Doggett all featured in the BBL. 
  • Options
    "Bowlers must do better" is an easy thing to say after a high scoring series but I think it's at least in part to the nature of T20 and the modern game. It favours the batsmen and it makes bowling much harder.

Winning the game with 5 balls to spare perhaps suggests we didnt bowl as badly as it first seemed.
    I do think it is hard with such small grounds especially but there really is no excuse for 9 wides - SA, by comparison, bowled just 3 and the difference, with the additional runs scored off the extra balls, could be the difference between winning and losing.
  • Options
    What a fantastic slug fest 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Fantastic! Just saw the Lions score as well. Few good performances in there, most notably Lawrence who scored 190
    Yes saw the lions. What is the standard of the CA XI though? No names I recognise. 
    It's made up of mainly young pros with the odd exception including Jake Lehman who is Darren's son. That said, the likes of Bryant, Pope, Jewell and Doggett all featured in the BBL. 
    Thanks. Hopefully good standard then.
  • Options
    "Bowlers must do better" is an easy thing to say after a high scoring series but I think it's at least in part to the nature of T20 and the modern game. It favours the batsmen and it makes bowling much harder.

Winning the game with 5 balls to spare perhaps suggests we didnt bowl as badly as it first seemed.
    I do think it is hard with such small grounds especially but there really is no excuse for 9 wides - SA, by comparison, bowled just 3 and the difference, with the additional runs scored off the extra balls, could be the difference between winning and losing.
    Agree there is no excuse for 9 wides. England certainly didnt get it right as much as we would expect with the ball but a wide in T20 is not the same as a traditional wide. It's not a ball aimed at the stumps that has gone wayward. It's a ball aimed right at that wide line to try and stretch a player that is maybe an inch off. Not excusing it obviously but if you go for a wide Yorker tactic it's a risk you run.

Altitude was also a massive factor on this ground. Everything went for 6.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    To be fair, when you are being hit all over the place you may try to bowl it as wide as you can get away with and get that wrong sometimes with less margin for error. Especially if you are getting hit when you bowl it anywhere else!
  • Options
    terrific 20/20 mini series .. these games have shown the attraction of 1 day, especially 20/20 games .. big crowds with lots of side shows, all action, tight finishes, great action, pity about the poor bowlers though .. like it or not, for the later part of the 21st century, this is the future for cricket
  • Options
    terrific 20/20 mini series .. these games have shown the attraction of 1 day, especially 20/20 games .. big crowds with lots of side shows, all action, tight finishes, great action, pity about the poor bowlers though .. like it or not, for the later part of the 21st century, this is the future for cricket
    The test series was pretty good too
  • Options
    The test series was pretty good too
    It’s a shame South Africa are the only winter test nation in a similar time zone to us. Enjoyed watching test cricket in the middle of the day again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This happened to be a really good series, with all 3 games producing lots of runs and exciting finishes.

T20 isn't always like that though, often one side struggles and the game becomes one sided.
  • Options
    You have to think that with the batters we have, England will win most games batting second. To be fair, the first T20 game was a brilliant lesson as they had virtually won the game and Morgan didn't need to go for that six when he did.
  • Options
    You have to think that with the batters we have, England will win most games batting second. To be fair, the first T20 game was a brilliant lesson as they had virtually won the game and Morgan didn't need to go for that six when he did.
    I thought Roy was rather reckless right at the start. Hit 1 six & then just threw his bat at the next delivery. It was only the 2nd over fgs.

Also would like to see Butler further down.....maybe at 5 or 6.
  • Options
    Foakes is by far the better wicketkeeper and probably a better red ball batsman than Buttler now.
  • Options
    WTF !!!
  • Options
    at least we should get a clear result to the question .. can Buttler keep to spinners ?
    Problem is that Butty is one of the 'chaps', he's been in the elite squads for a long time. Foakes is probably the better keeper, but getting dropped from the 'big salary squad' seems more difficult than getting included in the first place  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    England lions match didnt end as well we it might have. After posting 546 with Tons from Sibley Jennings and Lawrence CA XI made 813-8 declared with Lehmann and Edwards making big tons.

When part timers Jennings and Lawrence bowl more than 41 overs between them you know its not been a great day in the field. There must have been injuries as Gregory only bowled 4 overs and Gleeson 9. 

The match ended in a draw with England 116-3 in their second innings.
  • Options
    MOTM Lawrence, 190 and 3 wickets. 
  • Options
    Foakes is considered by many to be a better wicket keeper than Buttler.  But Buttler seems to have been assured of his place behind the stumps for at least the first test against Sri Lanka. 

I am sure that there are lots of people who agree that Foakes is a better keeper, but what considerations do you think Silverwood made when coming to that conclusion?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England lions match didnt end as well we it might have. After posting 546 with Tons from Sibley Jennings and Lawrence CA XI made 813-8 declared with Lehmann and Edwards making big tons.

When part timers Jennings and Lawrence bowl more than 41 overs between them you know its not been a great day in the field. There must have been injuries as Gregory only bowled 4 overs and Gleeson 9. 

It didn’t end as well as it could have done, but it wasn’t as bad as your scores Canters. England made 613-8 declared and CA were all out for 546. Giving away over 800 would certainly be a major cause of concern for the future of our bowling attack!
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

It didn’t end as well as it could have done, but it wasn’t as bad as your scores Canters. England made 613-8 declared and CA were all out for 546. Giving away over 800 would certainly be a major cause of concern for the future of our bowling attack!
    My apologies. I got myself in a right muddle there. Must be getting old. I'm 25 in a month and a day....
  • Options
    Maybe the priority is winning the T20 world cup and a focus on Butler is the best bet this year because of that.
  • Options
    Its worse because before I edited it i had us on 1116-3 in the final innings. Would have been some knock that!

Good thing i dont deal with numbers and analysis for a living eh?
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

My apologies. I got myself in a right muddle there. Must be getting old. I'm 25 in a month and a day....
    Yeah, you say that...
  • Options
    Its worse because before I edited it i had us on 1116-3 in the final innings. Would have been some knock that!

That thought did cross my mind! 
  • Options

you should be Chancellor of the Exchequer, another expert in plucking fictional figures outta the sky
  • Options

that's the excel generation for you....
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

that's the excel generation for you....
    Excel? Pah. Amateur program. I do all my work in SAS or Data studio