Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    Here’s to another Flying Fish
  • Options
    Nice to see a cautious and patient batsman - hope Sibley can kick on here, type of player we need at the moment. 
  • Options
    Nice to see a cautious and patient batsman - hope Sibley can kick on here, type of player we need at the moment. 
    Denly had shown the same level of patience but something seems to happen with his shot selection when he thinks he's "in" - previously he had left all the head high bouncers but then decided to take one on and was caught in the trap.
  • Options
    Whereas in county cricket Sibley seems to stick around once in, fingers crossed that he can convert that to Tests. 
  • Options
    at last some gutsy, 'proper' batting
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I thought Root had a very good day today
    And again today.
  • Options
    Happy for Sidley, hope he can reach the ton. The morning will be interesting, 320 could be enough but typically this is where the likes of Stokes and Buttler try to attack too soon and get out early. 
  • Options
    Denly had shown the same level of patience but something seems to happen with his shot selection when he thinks he's "in" - previously he had left all the head high bouncers but then decided to take one on and was caught in the trap.
    If Sibley goes on to make a big one tomorrow, Denly may look back and feel that in this match he's yet again missed out on a chance to really cement his place.
  • Options
    I think it is cemented at the mo. KP was blowing him off earlier for being attacking.

It will come off one day...I really didn’t see him as a test batsmen but he is one of the best we have at the moment, which is concerning. Kent fan so always wish him well but if the talent of KP admires than who am I to argue?
  • Options
    Denley average in tests 31
    Gary Ballance average 37

😳
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wicket is either flattening out or their bowlers aren't that good. Think we will need a lead of 350+........400 is hardly ever chased down. Thought we would be trailing after 1st innings so to be leading by 46 is more than I could ever have hoped for. Dont know what we are going to do when Broad & Anderson hang up their boots. Like Strauss, Trott & Cook some players positions are hard to fill.
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    Denley average in tests 31
    Gary Ballance average 37

😳
    Ah but Denly averages 37.5 in this series.......and the 0.5 could be the difference between winning and losing a series
  • Options
    Wicket is either flattening out or their bowlers aren't that good. Think we will need a lead of 350+........400 is hardly ever chased down. Thought we would be trailing after 1st innings so to be leading by 46 is more than I could ever have hoped for. Dont know what we are going to do when Broad & Anderson hang up their boots. Like Strauss, Trott & Cook some players positions are hard to fill.
    Thank goodness there's something to be gloomy about.  I was beginning to worry that you'd come over all... happy. 
  • Options
    Meanwhile, down under, Sydney Thunder's off spinner Arjun Nair has completed his spell bowling to Tom Banton of Brisbane Heat. 

His figures were 0-30.

Off one over.

That started with a dot ball. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Meanwhile, down under, Sydney Thunder's off spinner Arjun Nair has completed his spell bowling to Tom Banton of Brisbane Heat. 

His figures were 0-30.

Off one over.

That started with a dot ball. 
    I think I heard that Banton's 16 ball 50 was the 2nd fastest in the history of the BBL

Off 4.5 overs Banton and Lynn put on 90!
  • Options
    Sibley nearly trebled his Test average with that knock. 
  • Options
    Which one of you rubbished Sibley after one innings and said we needed to look elsewhere? Bet you're feeling stupid now 
  • Options
    We had to declare, but a shame that Sibley wasn't able to carry his bat
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Which one of you rubbished Sibley after one innings and said we needed to look elsewhere? Bet you're feeling stupid now 

Name the guilty party
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Leuth said:
    Me.
    Don't rate him at all. Featherbed wicket and they bowled poorly. Good luck to you if you like Sibley - many will agree with you.
    I understand you're Nabby Sarr's biggest fan, but you end up getting arsey when people disagree with you. Am I to expect the same treatment?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I certainly questioned his technique and long may his form continue. I was also someone who thought he should have been given a chance in front of some of the more "favoured" ones though.

Sibley might just be a Graeme Smith who played everything through leg too. Sincerely hope he is but it will be interesting to see how he copes against a Starc bowling across him and a top spinner such as Lyon (just had match figures against NZ of 63.5-19-134-10) on a bunsen burner. It he has a weakness they will find it.

The biggest thing that Sibley does have going for him is his level of concentration and he proved that from the very start of his professional career when he scored that double hundred against Yorkshire for Surrey at the age of 18. That will take him a long way and is something that someone like Joe Denly could learn from specifically in relation to shot selection when you think you're "in".
  • Options
    Charlton fan singing there
  • Options
    Doing my OCD in - there is a syllable missing in each of the last two lines. For example - the iteration is better when singing 'batting on in the sun', 'scoring his runs for fun'

Wibble.

Nurse!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Captain Cretin phones in a performance with the bat, has a toddler tantrum blaming anything other than himself when he is dismissed yet again with a flaccid shot; flogs his quickest bowlers on brainless "plans" for hours beyond it's obvious to all they're not working and keeps fielders way out in the deep to Elgar in areas to which nobody ever sees him hit the ball, persists with the halfling Curran as he serves up buffet after buffet, throwing away the very decent position achieved in the first hour of the day.  Jesus H Christ on a bike Joe Root is a total shit4brains!  Sure as eggs is eggs he'll mutter some craven bullshit about his: plans, mumble mumble, ball goes soft, mumble mumble, flat pitch, grumble, Kookaburra ball, sniff.  And another test series goes begging against moderate opposition.
    Be honest: how pleased were you to see Root catch Elgar in the deep and Curran dismiss de Kock? 
    I'm always pleased/relieved when England take wickets but let's not get over excited here: Elgar gave it away and both Curran's wickets were from rank stinking filth half track 70mph pies.  This SA batting line up is every bit as fragile, sketchy and formless as our own.
    Captain Cretin even found a way to give it away on the flattest of flat tracks when there was a facile century up for grabs.  He owes Ollie Pope, Jimmy Anderson and Dom Sibley massively for the chance to win this match.  A chance that is currently being eroded by the hour.
  • Options
    Denly gets a wicket as Elgar edges behind. :-)

73-1
  • Options
    Enigmatic variation from Denly.
  • Options
    the pitch is getting easier, I expected it to break up and become treacherous .. England win is still the most likely result (we hope)
  • Options
    Enigmatic variation from Denly.
     famous piece of classical music by Elgar .. doubt anyone will sit through all of this .. https://youtu.be/vLNLvcBmoqo
  • Options
    Delighted Joe has a test wicket on his record whatever happens hereon in!