Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Comments

• Options
    Macronate said:
    Absolutely despise their music.

And before anybody asks “Why did you open the thread then?”, I thought it might be a thread about how much people despise their music.
    Strong words to use about music. I understand if certain genres aren’t peoples thing but to say they despise/hate is a bit strong but fair enough. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Got my London stadium ticket for next year. Saturday 25th June. 

(Rather expensive!)
    Must be selling well - second London concert added for Sunday 26th.
    Oversold?
    By the way, I tried to say I'd be there
  • Options
    True Charlton trainspotter.

Already worked out I need to be at Stratford international at 00.02 on that date, to get the last fast train home 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    True Charlton trainspotter.

Already worked out I need to be at Stratford international at 00.02 on that date, to get the last fast train home 
    I reckon that will be fine, guessing that there is a curfew that means the gig probably had to finish around 10:30pm
  • Options
    Favourite band in the world. Frusciante is a genius, got tickets on Tuesday through o2, absolutely cannot wait, will be the first time seeing them live ever. So excited.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

And before anybody asks “Why did you open the thread then?”, I thought it might be a thread about how much people despise their music.
    Which era? Their funk metal phase, their funk punk phase, their funk soul phase, their funk rock phase, or their funk pop phase?
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Which era? Their funk metal phase, their funk punk phase, their funk soul phase, their funk rock phase, or their funk pop phase?
    I mean, how anyone can listen to the first 10 seconds of californication or scar tissue for example and say they despise it is a bit odd really. 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Macronate said:

I mean, how anyone can listen to the first 10 seconds of californication or scar tissue for example and say they despise it is a bit odd really. 
    They’ve literally gone to the lowest depths a human being can get to without dying and some how made their way back. So how anyone can turn their noses up at their later slower stuff is a bit beyond me.
  • Options
    Fantastic band. If you despise them you don’t have a soul, simple. 
  • Options
    My kids managed to bag themselves tickets this morning. I’m a lot poorer for it but I have ecstatic kids and you can’t put a price on that. This could be once in a lifetime stuff. Only problem is I’m going to have to listen to them going on about it until summer next year 😖
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My kids managed to bag themselves tickets this morning. I’m a lot poorer for it but I have ecstatic kids and you can’t put a price on that. This could be once in a lifetime stuff. Only problem is I’m going to have to listen to them going on about it until summer next year 😖
    Not going yourself then?
  • Options
    I would have gone but we're seeing the Foos on the 30th June.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Not going yourself then?
    At £166 a pop I couldn’t afford to go as well ☹️

Plus my kids are far too cool to have me tag along 😆
  • Options
    I would have gone but we're seeing the Foos on the 30th June.
    It was a toss up with my lot between the Foos and the RHCP but RHCP edged it. Both great bands. 
  • Options
    I saw RHCP December 2016 at the O2.
    I've not seen the Foos due to Dave Grohl breaking his leg & me getting refunded as I didn't fancy Milton Keynes.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    So excited to see them play with John, one of my music idols. First time he’ll be on stage as part of the group since 2007.

Saw them once a few years back but almost treating it like they’re a whole new band now Frusciante is back in the fold. 

Klinghoffer is good but he wasn’t part of that magical foursome from 1988-2007 (minus the mid 90s of course).
  • Options
    Not going yourself then?
    At £166 a pop I couldn’t afford to go as well ☹️

Plus my kids are far too cool to have me tag along 😆
    My daughter was/is a massive fan and we often got subjected to RHCP non-stop in her youth.
    Funnily enough they really did grow on me over time.
    Was almost tempted to see if she would let me tag along if she had no other takers, but at those prices maybe not.
    Plus I told myself a while back that I've had my fill of stadium gigs.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    So excited to see them play with John, one of my music idols. First time he’ll be on stage as part of the group since 2007.

Saw them once a few years back but almost treating it like they’re a whole new band now Frusciante is back in the fold. 

Klinghoffer is good but he wasn’t part of that magical foursome from 1988-2007 (minus the mid 90s of course).
    klinghoffer's work with frusciante and his solo stuff with dot hacker is miles better than anything he did with the chili peppers, I'd actually say his work with Bob Forrest on bicycle thief is his best "pop" album - check that album out, iirc it's got a john frusciante guitar solo in it which was recorded exactly between him getting clean and rejoining the red hot chili peppers in the 90s.. Also, personally think he's a much better drummer than guitarist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-9ZtFqKOvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_CYLXQbeXo 
  • Options
    I think their new album will be released in a few months.

• Options
    I saw them in 2004 and they phoned it in a bit which was a shame. I'm a fan, if I can get last minute tickets I will 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got tickets for the gig in Nijmegen and doing a long weekend in Amsterdam, can't wait!
  • Options
    I don't think I dislike them to quite the depths that some do on here but I had my fill of them some time ago. I don't think they've really released anything good since Californication, which was over 20 years ago now. Their gentle decline into armchair dad rock has been fairly dull.
    More importantly though, Anthony Keidis is an absolutely atrocious man, just the worst. Aside from the fact he did his best to kill Mr Bungle, who were getting some serious recognition at the time (and doing weird funk nonsense much better than RHCP), aged 23 he had sex repeatedly with a 14 year old girl. Then he wrote a song about it. People who know about this, which is anyone who read his autobiography, appear to be absolutely fine with it, which is insane to me. I don't think I'd want to give him my money personally.
  • Options
    Seen them at V festival 2003 with Frusciante  and again at the O2 in 2016. Not my favourite band but they put on a great show. Speaking of Mr Bungle, next year I should hopefully see Faith No More at Brixton after 2 postponements, that should be something else.
  • Options
    I don't think I dislike them to quite the depths that some do on here but I had my fill of them some time ago. I don't think they've really released anything good since Californication, which was over 20 years ago now. Their gentle decline into armchair dad rock has been fairly dull.
    More importantly though, Anthony Keidis is an absolutely atrocious man, just the worst. Aside from the fact he did his best to kill Mr Bungle, who were getting some serious recognition at the time (and doing weird funk nonsense much better than RHCP), aged 23 he had sex repeatedly with a 14 year old girl. Then he wrote a song about it. People who know about this, which is anyone who read his autobiography, appear to be absolutely fine with it, which is insane to me. I don't think I'd want to give him my money personally.
    You mean Mike Patton who famously ripped off kiedis’ looks and style and then (to get some publicity for himself) decided to have a public spat with kiedis about it? Fucking lol.

as for the 14 year old, it was deeply disturbing - but he was messed up on drugs at the time, and was himself raped when he was 11 by his dads girlfriend. The guy has had a messed up life.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    You mean Mike Patton who famously ripped off kiedis’ looks and style and then (to get some publicity for himself) decided to have a public spat with kiedis about it? Fucking lol.

as for the 14 year old, it was deeply disturbing - but he was messed up on drugs at the time, and was himself raped when he was 11 by his dads girlfriend. The guy has had a messed up life.
    No doubt Patton was influenced by Kiedis, but Patton was a 19 year old kid at the time, yet to find his own visual performance style. (Vocally, Kiedis doesn't even come close) No teenager is going to be the consumate original frontperson, that takes years.

Kiedis wasn't the first singer to have long hair & sing without a shirt either.

Kiedis was asked about Patton, & Kiedis responded in the press. The press accentuated it, as they always do.

Patton never actually responded negatively, & he himself questioned why Kiedis would give FNM free press.

Kiedis held a grudge, then got Mr Bungle kicked off of some big festival bills that the RHCP were headlining, & that led to a sharper & darker response from Patton & Mr Bungle, with their mockery of the RHCP at a halloween show.

As for the 14 year old girl situation, Kiedis wasn't anywhere near the junkie he became when he had that relationship. He knew full well what he was doing. No justification there whatsoever.

As for his own rape, his Dad was a twisted manipulative f*ck, the woman was a sick f*ck for going alongwith it too.

• Options

:|

That was the look of 1980s LA.
  • Options
    https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=hfyi9cewKe4&feature=share

Don't know what album this is from...but it ticks the box for me 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    The vocals are legitimately terrible but the guitar is bloody lovely, frusciante doesn't miss does he
  • Options
    The vocals are legitimately terrible but the guitar is bloody lovely, frusciante doesn't miss does he
    The look of Anthony Kiedies is a bit suspect