Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer's "new" job - How much do we spend in Jan?

Comments

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Can anyone clarify the rules surrounding emergency loans when a club has an injury crisis? Could be worth looking at given the hopefully new cash injection. 
    goalkeepers only, for 7 days only, not from the EPL (an EPL rule) and only if all pro keepers are out of action
  • Options
    Yeah we can’t sign anyone until January now. 
  • Options
    Regardless of the new ownership, the object of this season is survival in the Championship, and it's perhaps even more important now with investors that will probably have some ambition. I'd like to see the board offer new contracts to the most important playing staff and management team. I think acquisitions will be made based on the seriousness of the injuries to those players out at the moment, though a Lewis Page replacement is essential!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I wonder if they'll sack Bowyer, invariably a new ownership signals a new manager.

Strange period.
  • Options
    We need a new left back, a centre half to play with Lockyer , a holding midfield option, unless Field is back quickly and another forward to replace Hemed 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ct_addick said:
    Can anyone clarify the rules surrounding emergency loans when a club has an injury crisis? Could be worth looking at given the hopefully new cash injection. 
    It is only for goalkeepers and then only on a weekly basis.

We would only be eligible if Dillon gets injured while Amos is still unfit. The league expects us to have two goalies with first team experience. 

It also wouldn't count as one of the the loaned keepers clubs. David Stockdale played for Coventry, Southend and Wycombe last season. 
  • Options
    Don't really care if we go down this season now.

Might be better to start again from League 1 with our on players and do it properly? 
  • Options

Might be better to start again from League 1 with our on players and do it properly? 
    Absolutely not - many teams have shown that in League One throwing money at it still doesnt guarantee promotion - Sunderland spent 4 million on one player last season and still may be in L1 for another few seasons.
  • Options
    Just listened to Charlton Live, in an interview with Bowyer he said there's 'a bit of money,not silly amounts'. To be honest,he sounded chuffed to bits with being told that
    A very sensible approach - would indicate the new owners are taking it a step at a time. Spend enough to hopefully consolidate in the Championship, then take stock in the summer and allow Gallen and co to assemble a squad capable of challenging next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Makes no sense at all. We (hopefully) have the money to hopefully stay in this league and really push on. 

Never heard a fan WANT to get relegated. 
  • Options
    So much speculation of future plans! Lets look at the league table and recollect our aims at the start of the season, not from a purple patch when we had another 12 players available :) 
  • Options

Makes no sense at all. We (hopefully) have the money to hopefully stay in this league and really push on. 

Yes what a waste of time and money Wembley was. I was gutted when BFG scored the winner.
  • Options
    I think FFP will restrict us in terms of our spending, so can't see a great deal happening to be honest.
  • Options
    Bowyers never gonna say yeah got 20 mil to spend because other clubs will cotton on to that if selling to us. Not that I think we’ll get close to that, more likely to be 2 mil but bowyer will certainly keep his cards close to his chest and so he should . 
  • Options
    Dropping back down to League One is unthinkable, even if it meant we build a squad that takes us to the PL in two seasons. We just need to do what we have to do to stay in the Championship this season and then the fun starts after we’ve secured our place.
  • Options
    Dropping back down to League One is unthinkable, even if it meant we build a squad that takes us to the PL in two seasons. We just need to do what we have to do to stay in the Championship this season and then the fun starts after we’ve secured our place.
    Exactly. And if I have to watch one more season of L1 football I might go mad. 

5-10 is plenty, we just need to plug up some gaps and get decent cover for future injuries. The priority this season is staying up and getting our great players on long term contracts. We'll then have the whole summer to build a promotion challenging team - the Jan window is not the time for that. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    We need a new left back, a centre half to play with Lockyer , a holding midfield option, unless Field is back quickly and another forward to replace Hemed 
    A agree with all the positions highlighted but we don't need to replace Hemed, we need to upgrade on Leko. Hemed hasn't been able to show us what he's about yet due to fitness issues but when he does come in it will be to win and hold up the ball with a faster striker playing off him. We need to target a striker with serious pace in the mold of Karlan Grant as our marquee signing to help us in January. That will change everything. I like Leko but he's a 20 year old winger doing his best and if the money's there we can and should do better.
  • Options
    Players who i think should be targeted , plus one non-player..

Dan Burn - currently excess to requirements at Brighton

Vladimir Coufal (Czech full back who terrorised England)

Ivan Toney

And persuade Rasmus Ankersen of Brentford to join us as Overseas Recruitment Consultant to assist Steve Gallen with the overseas recruitment model.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    100% priority is to maintain Championship status. Until this crippling injury crisis happened the team was competing with whoever we played. Bowyer knows what will be needed to get back to that and he will know the finer details of the players injuries and the likely dates of their respective returns. I think securing players that can get us back to being competitive will be the aim. Signing Cullen and Leko is just good business sense. 

FWIW I don’t think that Charlton will be splashing cash anywhere like as much as some people are suggesting. 
  • Options
    I would suggest we wont be doing more loans, and may send some back (why train your opposition?) unless there is a serious prospect of a purchase. Of course this depends on the financial stature of our owner, but spending more time in the Championship than necessary is missing out on the money from the Prem, isn't it?
  • Options
    Wonder if we'll hear the usual statement on deadline day of, "We were very close to agreeing  some deals, but couldn't quite get them over the line." 

Come on this is Charlton after all. We don't like it easy on our fans. Surely if we opened an underwhelmed thread it could surpass the takeover thread! For me the best bit of news is stability and that might not equal a splurge on new top quality players. Lee has already stayed for the long haul, so that's good enough for me for now. Whatever comes along in the next chapter can only be better than Roland's. (Fingers crossed)
  • Options
    Wondering how long before we need a new full-time right back. We lose a lot when Solly doesn't play, but obviously he's unable to play twice a week any more.
  • Options
    A lot depends on how long many of the injured players will be out for. With Cullen out until February, if we can get Field and Kayal back and fit by the end of December, we won't need additional cover in that position. Or if we play Oshuilaja in midfield, then an additional CB becomes a priority.

I imagine WBA would be happy to sell us Leko, I'm not bothered either way on that one, but would acknowledge that the last 2 games he's been decent. 
  • Options
    A) Stabilise for this season sensibly and start afresh next summer.  
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes what a waste of time and money Wembley was. I was gutted when BFG scored the winner.
    Not sure if a whoosh but that was very good, obviously....Id do it again to get into the Premiership maybe.

All I'm saying is why not kick on from here? Make sure we stay up, have a full pre season with some money to get targets that will help us with a promotion push. 

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Not sure if a whoosh but that was very good, obviously....Id do it again to get into the Premiership maybe.

All I'm saying is why not kick on from here? Make sure we stay up, have a full pre season with some money to get targets that will help us with a promotion push. 

Dont think Bob was aiming the comment at you, King.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Dont think Bob was aiming the comment at you, King.
    Thanks, thought was the case but cant always tell!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    razil said:
    I would suggest we wont be doing more loans, and may send some back (why train your opposition?) unless there is a serious prospect of a purchase. Of course this depends on the financial stature of our owner, but spending more time in the Championship than necessary is missing out on the money from the Prem, isn't it?
    Unless your in the world's top 10 or so clubs, not using loans at all is silly.  Even Munich got Jamies on loan.  Taking Rotherham reserves to make up the numbers is onething, taking Real Madrid wonderkinds is something completely diffrent.