Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer's "new" job - How much do we spend in Jan?

Ok... So within the space of a couple of days Lee's job has entirely changed, he now has expectation on his shoulders, essentially Gallen will not sleep again until february and the job of navigating a path to a very significant and very real upward trajectory for the club begins. 

It's clear that the financial stability of the club is now covered, it is also clear that with the right presentation and reasoning behind it the CEO will probably say "yes" to a lot of the requests made. 

So Gallen, I'd imagine will be looking in an entirely different market, he will be identifying a different talent level, combined with all the traits of Lee Bowyer type player.

So what way are we going to go, I'd love it if we did the Wolves thing, genuine top tier talent ripping through the league, but I have a feeling that's not going to be the way, although who really can tell? 

What do you reckon? What are we going to do? 

A) 0- 5mill

B) 5- 10 mill

C) 10 mill plus

Comments

• C) if you include the total value of contracts issued. A) if you don't. 
  • I agree with @Redvalleyeast. You dont get great value in the January window, and other clubs will be aware we have money to spend and will inflate prices accordingly.

Do enough to consolidate sensibly, build for next season.

(all the above assumes the takeover goes through and the new owners are ambitious without being foolhardy)
  • B - about 6mil and a few contracts. 
  • Depends how much Ivan Toney will cost
  • What would be nice is.
    Boywer saying ive got 3 players in i wanted for 8.5 million owners were more than ok with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if they'll sack Bowyer, invariably a new ownership signals a new manager.
  • Roland, and Karl Robinson sucking up to Roland, thought that doing your major business in January, rather than the summer transfer window, was a great way to to operate.

Every other manager and owner of any pedigree knows that January is generally a month for panic-buying and paying over the odds.

We clearly need a bit of strengthening, but too much of an overhaul mid-season and you risk disrupting the team rather than strengthening it. Still have nightmares about Roland's first transfer window.

Presuming that we are through our injury crisis, I'd be perfectly happy with a couple of sensible signings that are a slight improvement on what we've already got. Quite keen to get away from the loan dependency of the last few years, but wouldn't object to loaning in someone who we might be able to sign permanently in the summer.
  • Depends how much is actually available and what the intentions of these new owners are - We talk about them spending 5-10m this window but might not be the sort who want to waste cash in attempts to get us up the League table with speed rather than stability
    Press Conference will tell us all
  • clb74 said:
    What would be nice is.
    Boywer saying ive got 3 players in i wanted for 8.5 million owners were more than ok with that.
    Has he said that?!
  • I wonder if they'll sack Bowyer, invariably a new ownership signals a new manager.
    No way - that would just alienate the fan base. 
  • clb74 said:
    What would be nice is.
    Has he said that?!
    Absolutely not. The opposite in fact.

Bowyer is going nowhere. 
    Despite them saying they're impressed with what LB has done & are looking at offering a new term long term contract ???
  • Once we have Foden, Nketiah and Parret on loan then I think we spend another £50M and my rather rash £15 on promotion at 80/1 maybe does not look quite so daft.

realistically i think people should prepare to he under whelmed as we all run the risk of getting a little too carried away and disappointed when Messi dies jot arrive !
  • I'd disagree about throwing lots of cash around. I think the aim of this season is still survival, if we can utilise some more loans maybe bring in some short to medium term options and get everyone fit we should still be able to manage that. January is notorious for prices being inflated and even more so if a club knows we have/potentially have money add to that that any scouting plans will have to completely changed at short notice to go for more expensive targets, I'd rather go for targets we were likely targeting for Jan but with the added benefit that we're more likely to get them now.
  • Sponsored links:

• they will do whatever Gallen and Bowyer tell them is needed in order to stay up - then in the summer, we go bonkers!!!!!!!!!!
  • I think that I would be delighted if we could step up to bidding for the following:

Bauer
    Grant
    Toney

• Agree with others on here - no value to be had in January (or at least very little), so best options would be to tidy up the loose ends that have been dragging on for so long.

Get Bowyers contract sorted, same for Jackson and Gallen, get Taylor onto a decent three year deal and possibly look to bring in a quality left back, as that is the one position that we are light in when everyone is fit - assuming that Page remains as the new Cory Gibbs.

There may be a case for trying to get Cullen on the cheap in January, but then again maybe with all of the new investment the new owners may be setting their sights a little higher?
  • Definitely B for me. Minimum requirement even if we hadn't been bought out, difference being there's a small chance it may well happen now.
  • edited December 2019
    Just listened to Charlton Live, in an interview with Bowyer he said there's 'a bit of money,not silly amounts'. To be honest,he sounded chuffed to bits with being told that
  • Once we have Foden, Nketiah and Parret on loan then I think we spend another £50M and my rather rash £15 on promotion at 80/1 maybe does not look quite so daft.

realistically i think people should prepare to he under whelmed as we all run the risk of getting a little too carried away and disappointed when Messi dies jot arrive !
    I think relief that Roland has gone and any money being spent means it will be positive. 

I still think we need to spend though. Cullen and Leko on permanents are decent business but doesn’t improve the team as they are already here. Definitely need another option at LB and a quality CB. Not fussed up front when Taylor is back but in an ideal world I would get rid of Hemed and Kayal. 
  • What will be interesting to me is to see which players leave in the window, in terms will we be ruthless to enough to say to some players who we probally only bought because we was on a shoe string, sorry youre not good enough we have a bigger budget. The likes of Chucks, Sarr, kayal, hemed, page spring to mind, if it dosent happen in January I think we will surley have a clean out.

Having said all this Gallen was very public about not wanting a huge turnover of players again this summer like we did last, but now the chequebook is glistening I think he might change his mind. 

• Can anyone clarify the rules surrounding emergency loans when a club has an injury crisis? Could be worth looking at given the hopefully new cash injection.