Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reflections on the Duchatelet Era

Comments

• edited December 2019
    I'm just looking forward to the book about his time in charge.

Will show for once and all what a **** he was. 
    Out for the summer please @Airman Brown 

:) 
  • Just a few key words. Meire, Luzon, Fraye, Thurman, Laporte, Clob, customers, sofa, Parkes, Murray, sales( give aways) Gomez, Lookman, Aribo, Kermagant, Morrison, Pope etc.
  • The only positive is he kept the lights on, but this is far far outweighed by the negatives. Utterly glad he’s gone, just a small nagging nervousness about the EFL approval - surely this is just a formality??
  • Just a few key words. Meire, Luzon, Fraye, Thurman, Laporte, Clob, customers, sofa, Parkes, Murray, sales( give aways) Gomez, Lookman, Aribo, Kermagant, Morrison, Pope etc.
    Parkes ?? What did he do wrong, he’s been the only true professional on the management side - or are you referring to Mrs P ?
  • Mrs supporting KM and criticising supporters.

• #He’s a non entity get him out of here#
  • I think the only person who can write the book that I think we’d all want to read is Rick. He’s the only one close enough to the main players ( Roly and Miere aside).
    i suspect he may have already pretty much written it anyway.
  • Id certainly like to hear Olly Groome's view of events - Not to mention recent players like Solly and Jackson who have endured the entirely of their reign
  • The fans sofa was genius.....only kidding.
  • Sponsored links:

• He thought employing young, inexperienced people like Meire, Fraeye and Driesden engendered loyalty.   But when you get loyalty from incompetent people it is not a positive.

if he got anything like £60M for us then he is most certainly our luckiest owner ever.
  • This is probably going to be a wildly unpopular post but it's something that struck me while I was at the game yesterday.

If you look at where Charlton were when Roland took over and compare it to where we are now, the mad old Belgian can probably justifiably claim to have left us in a better position and having trousered a large amount of cash in the process.  Slater and Jimenez had left the club in danger of going bust and now the club is one promotion away from the Premier League, presumably debt free, owned by billionaires, with a popular, talented management team on the football side and a galvanised fan base, brought together by the protests.

I know Roland is a nasty old shitweasel and I'll never forgive him for the miserable times he put us through, but it's an "even a stopped clock is right twice a day" situation.  It's a relief that the clock eventually stopped at just the right time.
  • Missed It said:
    This is probably going to be a wildly unpopular post but it's something that struck me while I was at the game yesterday.

If you look at where Charlton were when Roland took over and compare it to where we are now, the mad old Belgian can probably justifiably claim to have left us in a better position and having trousered a large amount of cash in the process.  Slater and Jimenez had left the club in danger of going bust and now the club is one promotion away from the Premier League, presumably debt free, owned by billionaires, with a popular, talented management team on the football side and a galvanised fan base, brought together by the protests.

I know Roland is a nasty old shitweasel and I'll never forgive him for the miserable times he put us through, but it's an "even a stopped clock is right twice a day" situation.  It's a relief that the clock eventually stopped at just the right time.
    I think that's a nuanced and well thought out - the world doesn't exist in black and white. The spivs before Roland were only in it to make some quick cash. They left the club near to administration. Roland took over and while he made a ton of bad decisions, at least we are still at the Valley and still able to pay our players. I never thought he was an evil old man, hellbent on destroying a football club, rather an arrogant businessman, incapable of understanding football and the business around it. 
    I don't think Roland should be thanked for Lee Bowyer and the new management team, as it came so close to crashing down on us. 
  • Total arse. Alienated fans. Took two+ years to understand he knew f’all about football and needed to take a step back.  By then bridges had been burnt, liquidised and launched in orbit around Pluto.  
  • What's the point in rehashing old discussions and going over and over the same things we've argued about for 5 years?
    No good can come of it.
    I respectfully think we need to move on.
  • What's the point in rehashing old discussions and going over and over the same things we've argued about for 5 years?
    No good can come of it.
    I respectfully think we need to move on.
    Roland, Out!
  • Actually can we keep the "Roland out" home button named as such as a heritage item to enjoy like a scar over a life threatening injury that didn't beat us?
  • Missed It said:
    This is probably going to be a wildly unpopular post but it's something that struck me while I was at the game yesterday.

The only reason it ended where it did is because he lucked into it. 

It could have been far far worse. 
  • Meire's inability to accept any responsibility made my BLOOD BOIL!!!!!

And her smiling when we all poured our heart out out the back of the car park... man... the customers thing, the future stars of the premiership stuff... 

It was like being trapped in a never ending nightmare, utterly horrible, full of inevitability, and the lack of truth, or integrity... 

Seeing this come out the other side is just beyond delight... 

and to see it come around in THIS fashion ... we could be onto one of the greatest rides in sporting history guys... 

• Sponsored links:

• It was an eventful time that will live long in the memory especially the protests. The number of useless decisions by useless people was shocking.

I think KM and KF stand out as the most useless and RD as the most deluded.

A lot of the football was poor and we lost a lot of good players and CP.
  • KM for me was one of the biggest mistakes. 

Everybody gave her a chance and welcomed her with open arms however she just ignored advice after advice and ploughed on making huge mistakes, even though she knew she was doing wrong. She left us and done the same at Sheffield Wednesday. 
  • Jose Junechamps 
  • Selling Kermorgant was the alarm bell for me. And the stupid, fking sofa. 

Plus all the rest that followed. Thank God he’s gone. 
    He has, hasn’t he......?
  • 5 wasted years.
  • Mrs supporting KM and criticising supporters.
    The old man telling her not to button it.
  • Isn't this all a bit premature?

We voted for Brexit in 2016 but it hasn't happened yet......
  • edited December 2019
    5 wasted years.
    You're so wrong ?

Six wasted years (Jan 3rd 2014)
  • 5 wasted years.
    Your so wrong ?

You're, btw  ;)
  • 5 wasted years.
    Your so wrong ?

You're, btw  ;)
    I'm so ashamed of that schoolboy error;
    Serves me right for being pedantic in the first place.
    Let's hope it doesn't reach 6 years as the fans, as well as the players seem to be running on empty waiting for the green light of change.