Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

English or British

Comments

• Options
    Scouse, not English... :-)
    Get your own jokes mate! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Scouse, not English... :-)
    Get your own jokes mate! 
    Oops...
  • Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    British, wouldn't say proud, you should have pride in your achievements, your family, not your nationality

Brexit has made me very "un-proud"
    Still snowing in Berlin?
  • Options
    English first & foremost, but also proud to be British
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Something that might inform the discussion regarding pride:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/intimacy-path-toward-spirituality/201506/why-pride-is-nothing-be-proud

Something that might inform the discussion regarding patriotism:

https://www.thoughtco.com/patriotism-and-nationalism-4178864

There was a lot said about the American footballer who knelt during the Star Spangled Banner. There might arise from that a discussion about the meaning of 'respect', and whether even if it expected and demanded and valued respect need not always be an auto response.
  • Options
    English, but proud to be British and never ever would identify as ‘European’ 
  • Options
    Sufficiently English to have recorded myself as such under the nationality heading "other" when the choice on forms (eg census!) has been something like Scottish/Welsh/British/Other.  But then I always did have a cussed streak...

Proof?  Birth certificate showing I was born in Charlton.  Both parents were also Londoners. 

However, I am also a citizen of Great Britain and the United Kingdom (for whatever time is left before it splits itself asunder), and of Europe, with a world view of humankind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1/2 Spanish. 1/4 English. 1/4 Scottish. 100% British. 110% Charlton
  • Options
    English and British 

I feel very English when our national sporting teams are involved in a competitive fixture against teams from France, Germany, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. But I'm Proud to be British and proud to be English 

I don't have massive affiliation to where I was born, its home but beyond people that mean a lot to me living there.

There is something to be said for beig an island nation and having a distrust of outsiders. Not that I'm advocating tossing all foreign visitors back into the breach like our forefathers had a penchant for 

I love the way the home nations take the piss out of one another and I instantly warm to a jock making mention of some great Scottish victory, which enables me to tell them I'd repatriate the lot of them and rebuild hadrian's wall and ramp up the tax on Mars bars to try and keep a few of them alive past 50

Joe Calzaghe, Barry McGuigan, Lennox Lewis, Andy Murray, Chris Hoy all great british heroes in their fields 

• Options
    edited November 2019
    我是中国人

Not really, that's never allowed, English first, British second, despite actually being half Scottish.
  • Options
    English.

As a nation we are more aligned to America than we are Europe so the European comments are making me chuckle
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    English.

As a nation we are more aligned to America than we are Europe so the European comments are making me chuckle
    What continent is England part of?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    English.

Europe, however with our obesity crises, knife crime, chav culture, vast number of take away's on our high streets and awful coffee outlets they may as well tow us across the Atlantic. 
  • Options
    1/2 Spanish. 1/4 English. 1/4 Scottish. 100% British. 110% Charlton
    You are @oohaahmortimer and I claim my £5
  • Options
    Actually we're very definitely on the European continental plate. Half of Scotland originally moseyed over from America but there's no plate boundary any more. Hence the lack of earthquakes and volcanoes in our part of the world 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Addickted said:
    Scoham said:
    English.

In case you hadn't noticed we're an island and not a continent. We're aligned to Europe for geopolitical reasons.
    We’re not a single island though, England is part of Britain, which is made up of many islands.

Continents can also be made up of many islands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always makes me chuckle when people say they are English through and through..... my bet is that a trawl through the relatively recent past of almost all of us will naturally conclude we are not all Anglo Saxon to the core.

Me - I'm a quarter Japanese with the remaining three quarters with bits of England and Ireland as far as Im aware.

Never been to Japan but need to put that right as its such an important part of my heritage. I was very close to my Grandmother who moved to England in 1945.

Sports wise - cheer on England in football, cricket, rugby etc..... and subconsciously although I am a big F1 fan and drivers are catagorised as British, I do seem to have lent more towards English drivers in years gone by such as Hamilton, Button, Hill and Mansell.
  • Options
    Always makes me chuckle when people say they are English through and through..... my bet is that a trawl through the relatively recent past of almost all of us will naturally conclude we are not all Anglo Saxon to the core.

Me - I'm a quarter Japanese with the remaining three quarters with bits of England and Ireland as far as Im aware.

Never been to Japan but need to put that right as its such an important part of my heritage. I was very close to my Grandmother who moved to England in 1945.

Sports wise - cheer on England in football, cricket, rugby etc..... and subconsciously although I am a big F1 fan and drivers are catagorised as British, I do seem to have lent more towards English drivers in years gone by such as Hamilton, Button, Hill and Mansell.
    Japan is an amazing country, you should go as soon as possible. Unlike anywhere else in the world. 
  • Options
    Both my parents are Scottish and I’ve always felt more Scottish than English despite being born and raised in London. I guess my own personal perspective is Londoner, British, Scottish in that order although I’ll want England to win in football/rugby if they aren’t playing against Scotland.
  • Options
    Cant say I have much affiliation towards Scotland, Wales or even Ireland despite my mother being born in Dublin.

Despite their close proximity, I put them in the same pot as Australian, NZ and maybe even Canadian. Similar to us English but different.

To be honest, when it comes to being English, being abroad and seeing the people from Yorkshire etc I cringe a lot of the time.
  • Options
    British, English, Scottish, European - in that order.
  • Options
    I've always said English on account of both my parents being English, the 3 grandparents I had alive whilst growing up were all English and I don't really feel any major pull towards being British
  • Options
    I hate to admit this but when I go up north, Like say Doncaster, Blackpool or Darlington for example, I feel more of an outsider than I do when I go to France, Italy or Spain. Given the choice, I would always head south.
  • Options
    I'm country fluid 
  • Options
    I Think English edges it for me .

• Options
    Both parents
    All 4 grandparents 
    Plus all 8 great grandparents are English. 
    So that is how I identify myself.