Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

English or British

Comments

• English and proud. Not racist or xenophobic at all, just proud. 
  • Chizz said:
    Both. 

Interested to know how people define being English; and how they'd prove it. 
    Born in England to English parents. 

I presume this how people define they are Scottish or Welsh too. 
  • edited November 2019
    I'm happy to be either or, tbh.

I do think though, there is maybe a discussion to be had regarding the Welsh having their Assembly and the Scots having theirs, but the English making do with the UK Government.

Also the Anthems that are played when we meet Wales / Scotland in a sporting arena. Wales have Old Land Of Our Fathers, the Scots have Flower Of Scotland / Scotland The Brave and we get the British National Anthem. It don't bother me as such, I just think it's a point worth making
  • Chizz said:
    Both. 

I didn't think anyone had to prove anything these days. You can identify as anything you want. 

I spose being born in England and wanting to identify as English, makes one English though
  • MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    Both. 

Born in England to English parents. 

I presume this how people define they are Scottish or Welsh too. 
    I obviously mean if you swap  Scotland/Scottish and Wales /Welsh  for England/English!! 
  • English first and foremost but proud to be British too.

Love travelling to Europe but don't feel or identify as European one bit. Always happy for the yanks to win the Ryder cup (not that I give a monkeys about golf tbh). Germany, France etc are the enemy generally, so why i’d support a group including them over America who are just irrelevant to me is bizarre.

Completely guilty of island race, island mentality. I can’t help what I am/what I feel.
  • I am English, British and European. If proof was needed, watch me when England are playing, watch me at the Olympics, watch me when the Ryder Cup is on. You can be all three.
    100% agree with this.

• Chizz said:
    Both. 

I didn't think anyone had to prove anything these days. You can identify as anything you want. 

I spose being born in England and wanting to identify as English, makes one English though
    I should have used "demonstrate" instead of "prove". And what I meant was, what can anyone point to that shows that you're English, in the same way that, say, a French person can point to their passport? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2019
    Anyone born in England, is by default they're British and European, but I think the question was to do with what you want to be identified as. We could just all say we're humans and leave it there, but some people like to narrow down who they are right down to which end of the street they live in. And that's their choice imo

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Both. 

I should have used "demonstrate" instead of "prove". And what I meant was, what can anyone point to that shows that you're English, in the same way that, say, a French person can point to their passport? 
    The point you're making kind of runs on from my point about the English having to make do with the British Government and the British National Anthem, while the other home nations have their own. There isn't such thing as an English passport, but does that mean English is not now a recognised nationality? Hope not 
  • edited November 2019
    Surprising how many Ecosse and Cymru stickers I see here on the back of holiday and expats' cars, rather than GB. Is there such thing as English stickers?
  • In my lived experience, the French do prefer the Celts, rather than us Anglo Saxons though
  • Don't know.
  • Depends on the circumstances in which I find myself. Three of my great grandparents were Irish, my wife is Welsh and I live in Wales. I think of myself as British. 

I support England at football and rugby but Great Britain at the Olympics etc. I was the Wales v Hungary game last week loudly cheering on Wales to victory and qualification. If England play Wales, I hope England win but I hope Wales beat anyone else they play.

• edited November 2019
    English

• Sponsored links:

• English. Wouldn’t say I’m proud to be British but I wouldn’t care if someone described me as a Brit over an Englishman. 
  • British first, English second, member of planet third, no "European" in the middle at all, that's just weird.
  • Yes, we are an island but even David Walliams can swim the gap between England and France.
  • Bexleyheath
  • I’ve spent too much time in Asia where I tell people that I’m from the UK. When it comes down to it though, I support England at football and would support any English team in a Champions League Final. I wouldn’t support Celtic, say, in a Champions League Final though even though it will not happen.
  • I'll always say I'm English first. That's much to my Welsh father's disappointment but I've lived here all my life. I'll also support Wales over anyone else barring England.
  • English; Never say that I'm British
  • We are almost all a right old mixture is the truth of it - if you go back far enough.  

I did the Ancestry DNA thing and guess what? This full on South East Londoner Davo is 37% Scandinavian blood. I don’t look like a Viking and I don’t count raping and pillaging among my pastimes - but there it is. Spit don’t lie. 

How do I feel? English, British, European, Human - in that order. 
  • edited November 2019
    I am definitely English first, it is who I am but I wouldn't who I am without being British. We might be the great part of Great Britain but I truly feel are special because of our ties.

Ps. If Kent got independence tomorrow it would be time to sod you all, to you bigoted English.
  • I’m Scouse, not English