Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

English or British

Comments

• edited November 2019
    English; Never say that I'm British
    Thinking about it, I do always say that I'm English, but when asked specifically what I prefer, I can't say I'm too bothered either way.

If the Scots do ever get their independence,  that'll probably change though 
  • edited November 2019
    If asked where I come from, these days it's normally asked in the UK, so I say I am from London.

When I worked / lived abroad, I always said I was from the UK, normally met with the response, oh you are a Brit, to which I agreed.

Obviously I am European but I never recall, on any occasion in my life, when asked where I come from, replying that I am European. 

I definitely identify as English because that it is the country in which I was born, and I always support the English teams above all others. As has been mentioned by others, in the Olympics I support Team GB, and the Ryder Cup, the European team.

Bottom line, how do I identify myself? Primarily as a Londoner, and (probably because of the sporting context) then English. I am also British and European, a fact that cannot be denied, and am lucky to be so. A significant part of my heritage is from Ireland, so I am also proud of my Irish ancestry, and feel an affinity to the City of Cork because of this.

It's a non-question to be honest. Most of us were born in England and are, therefore, also British. 

• edited November 2019
    I say I am British but that is partly because I have an English accent but my parents and grandparents were Scottish and all my relatives live in Scotland. I do think England should have it's own national anthem not the British one and it annoys me imensely when people say English about something that is actually British.

But then again it is a confusing (and complicated) scenario with most foreigners (and many of our own) not knowing the difference between UK/Britain/Great Britain/British. I always think Team GB shoud be called Team UK for those from NI who don't live in Great Britain but do live in the UK (of GB and NI) and are British!
  • English. 
  • I say I am British but that is partly because I have an English accent but my parents and grandparents were Scottish and all my relatives live in Scotland. I do think England should have it's own national anthem not the British one and it annoys me imensely when people say English about something that is actually British.

But then again it is a confusing (and complicated) scenario with most foreigners (and many of our own) not knowing the difference between UK/Britain/Great Britain/British. I always think Team GB shoud be called Team UK for those from NI who don't live in Great Britain but do live in the UK (of GB and NI) and are British!
    Check out the full version of God Save The Queen, one of the verses mentions crushing the Scots.
  • Is it all defined technically by your exact place of birth and what that place was commonly called at the time?
  • It something I always battled with coming from 100% Irish stock and being born in England.
    I chose England in the football and Ireland in the rugby from an early age and that helped.
    Then I went and married a Welshman and moved to Ireland.
    I get asked all the time where I’m from by guests who stay in our cottage. I always reply London.
    I’m proud of being English. England was good to my family when they moved over, a fact our father reminded us of regularly.
    So I’d say I’m Anglo/Irish before I would ever say British.
    I have never identified myself as European.
  • British my birth, English by the grace of God.
  • Sponsored links:

• I find I identify more with clubs rather than nationality when I'm watching football.

I lived in Liverpool for a while so I tend to support Liverpool whoever they are playing (unless it's Charlton).

But I love Barcelona so I usually want them to win even when they are playing an English club. Would anybody genuinely support Milwall in the champions league just because they are an English club?

So I guess I'm one of those people who doesn't really "identify" with any county - any more than I identify as being "from Hampshire". 
  • Plumstead Boy, Londoner, English. It that order!
  • British.

Irish grandmother and Scots on my Dad’s side so definitely a mixture.
  • British by birth, English by the grace of God, well, gods if you have any Pagan leanings...   :)
  • English then London. At a push British. Never European.
  • I like Stonemuse's, "where do you come from?" question and thinking about it I can't remember ever answering this with Essex, England, GB, UK or Europe. For me it's always a more defined place rather than a wider regional one, and I'll choose the most specific place that I think the person I'm talking to will have heard of.  If I'm talking to someone from Essex I'll tell them my village, Great Wakering. If I'm talking to someone from elsewhere in the county I'll tell them my nearest town, Southend. If I'm talking to someone from abroad I'll say my nearest city, London. Sorry Chelmsfordians, but your city may be physically nearer, but its scores on Pointless tell me that people abroad wouldn't have a clue where it is.

The London one may be a bit strange, because I wasn't born there and have never lived there, but I still feel strongly associated with the place. In no small part, I guess, due to Charlton. 
  • My confusion is tempered a little by considering myself as definitely European before Irish, British or English and that is probably down to North European 'ethnicity' especially when alongside an Oriental Mrs Plum.
    I regard these labels as being down to an accident of birth anyway. Having been born in Erith if I were in a war I am prepared to fight against evil oppression and threat, like for example the Nazis, but I would never ever fight for the Irish, the British, the English or the Europeans.
  • Born in the British hospital for mother’s and babies.

English!
  • edited November 2019
    seth plum said:

I regard these labels as being down to an accident of birth anyway.  if I were in a war I am prepared to fight against evil oppression and threat, like for example the Nazis, but I would never ever fight for the Irish, the British, the English or the Europeans.
    Exactly this
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    Both. European too.
    This, and citizen of the world.
  • Both. English by blood, but definitely British.
  • British. More a statement of fact than anything I'm particularly proud of. 

Would be prouder to be part of my family name than imaginary lines on the ground. 
  • I say half Welsh, half Irish. I was born in London but my dads whole family were born and raised in Wales, my mum was also born in London but her whole family otherwise were born and raised in Ireland. 

For me it goes London, Ireland/Wales then Earth. 
  • British.

To the best of my knowledge I am 7/8 English 1/8 Welsh which makes me British.

It's more of a debate for my children and grandchildren as both my wife and son in law have some foreign ancestry.
  • Earthling.
  • Both English and British, never European. 
  • Scouse, not English... :-)