Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall v Charlton | Sat 9 Nov | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I still think the start we had will be good enough to see us through in terms of staying up. I reckon we might finish points wise in the high 50s. So lower mid-table. We might look a little nervously over our shoulder at times because probably half the division will. I think Gallen will pull something out the hat in January.
  • Options
    Now that we're a good distance away from the match I've decided that losing to Millwall is only the fourth most frustrating thing about that match, which is worrying. I don't believe in curses, but I am worried about our form, seeing as we've only won 2 of our last 10 league games and we're entirely staying afloat off one very good month earlier this season. I'm concerned that we are completely unable to close out matches. I just knew Millwall were going to score before they did; not because we always lose to them, but because as good as we are at popping up with late goals, we're better at handing the initiative to other teams. Conceding two injury time winners when you're a team that needs every single point going is just unacceptable and it's what gets teams relegated. The third very worrying thing is that Bowyer is starting to piss me off a bit. He's got a tiny squad, but we should have pushed on after the equaliser instead of sitting back and inviting them to score. More than that though, I'm getting a bit tired of the 'we should have had more' narrative. Every draw we should have had more, every loss we should have won. That was alright when we were squaring up to West Brom and Swansea, but the last few games we've got what we deserved, played poorly and not even set up right a lot of the time, so hearing that we should be winning every game off these performances is galling. I hope he doesn't say this to the players because it's bonkers. After all that I might have time to be annoyed that it was Millwall we lost to
    This. Exactly what I’ve been thinking recently @Garrymanilow but have been a bit reticent to post it for fear of getting my head taken off. Regardless of the miracles he’s worked so far, I’m getting tired of Bowyer’s utterances now. We may we’ll have been the better team but it matters not a jot if we don’t get the result. It’s a bit like “our kit was nicer than theirs”. Pointless. Payback time for the games we nicked against Brentford and Leeds. What goes around comes around. A bit of straightforward reflection rather than “we woz better than them...” please.  And please stop blindly shutting up shop every time we go ahead/get level.  Doing a great job Lee but wind it in a bit mate please. 
  • Options
    More than that though, I'm getting a bit tired of the 'we should have had more' narrative. Every draw we should have had more, every loss we should have won. That was alright when we were squaring up to West Brom and Swansea, but the last few games we've got what we deserved, played poorly and not even set up right a lot of the time, so hearing that we should be winning every game off these performances is galling. I hope he doesn't say this to the players because it's bonkers. 
    Agreed, we're not stupid. Having seen our defeats to Brizzle, Preston and Millwall, and draw at WBA in none of those matches did I think afterwards that we should have won those games. There's no shame in admitting a draw would have been a fair result or that we were beaten by a better team on the day

• Options
    I thought Bristol City and West Brom were good performances. Millwall was ok but frustrating.
  • Options
    Bristol and West brom were fucking great performances and yes we did deserve more from both games. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:l
    Now that we're a good distance away from the match I've decided that losing to Millwall is only the fourth most frustrating thing about that match, which is worrying. I don't believe in curses, but I am worried about our form, seeing as we've only won 2 of our last 10 league games and we're entirely staying afloat off one very good month earlier this season. I'm concerned that we are completely unable to close out matches. I just knew Millwall were going to score before they did; not because we always lose to them, but because as good as we are at popping up with late goals, we're better at handing the initiative to other teams. Conceding two injury time winners when you're a team that needs every single point going is just unacceptable and it's what gets teams relegated. The third very worrying thing is that Bowyer is starting to piss me off a bit. He's got a tiny squad, but we should have pushed on after the equaliser instead of sitting back and inviting them to score. More than that though, I'm getting a bit tired of the 'we should have had more' narrative. Every draw we should have had more, every loss we should have won. That was alright when we were squaring up to West Brom and Swansea, but the last few games we've got what we deserved, played poorly and not even set up right a lot of the time, so hearing that we should be winning every game off these performances is galling. I hope he doesn't say this to the players because it's bonkers. After all that I might have time to be annoyed that it was Millwall we lost to
    This. Exactly what I’ve been thinking recently @Garrymanilow but have been a bit reticent to post it for fear of getting my head taken off. Regardless of the miracles he’s worked so far, I’m getting tired of Bowyer’s utterances now. We may we’ll have been the better team but it matters not a jot if we don’t get the result. It’s a bit like “our kit was nicer than theirs”. Pointless. Payback time for the games we nicked against Brentford and Leeds. What goes around comes around. A bit of straightforward reflection rather than “we woz better than them...” please.  And please stop blindly shutting up shop every time we go ahead/get level.  Doing a great job Lee but wind it in a bit mate please. 
    To be honest, I was a tad annoyed that he came out after the game and said we should’ve gotten something, because I felt that after our goal, we didn’t really play to win.  However, I think an element of what he says to the press is to protect a young team and a squad hit by injury.  I think in private, what he said to the team may be a little bit different and he would’ve let his true feelings be known (oohaah even pointed out how pissed off he looked leaving the den in jacko’s car).  

Now that the immediate feeling of being pissed off has abated, I am taking a more objective view, and I do share the feeling of frustration at the overall sequence of events over the last few weeks.  It’s a bit of everything for me.  The injuries, the twice injury time defeats to Bristol City and Millwall, the way Preston did a number on us and the style of the defeat.  The getting done by two set pieces, particularly the first one on sat.  The fact we’ve started so well and blitzed 2019 in league one means I’m not used to losing and then the fact that it’s pissing losing to Millwall again, just added up and really really made me feel frustrated.

now, I can look back at the game in a bit more of a calm manner and they did try, they did want it in some respects ( we usually just get rolled over at Millwall) and we did create chances.  Plus, that squad is threadbare and we are missing two proper decent players in Taylor and Williams.  I think Bowyer is doing his level best with what he has, and is hopefully learning as he goes.  Add to that the uncertainty still going on in the background with RD, for me, it was only after the initial frustration of everything combining to add up to the Millwall defeat, that I can say it’s been very, very good.  

I would’ve loved to have won on Saturday, but it wasn’t to be.  I’m confident we can address at home to Cardiff and I’ve never been more certain of the fact I need to get behind Bowyer and the team as we hopefully manage this period, get Taylor back and see what we can do to turn it round 
    On another day, Cullen’s shot and Bonne’s volley would have gone in, and we win 3-2.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    There is a cat somewhere that has escaped a toe punt into next doors garden...

Never mind, blind rage soon turns to resigned indignation to acceptance of the order of things to dreading the return debacle.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    cabbles said:l
    To be honest, I was a tad annoyed that he came out after the game and said we should’ve gotten something, because I felt that after our goal, we didn’t really play to win.  However, I think an element of what he says to the press is to protect a young team and a squad hit by injury.  I think in private, what he said to the team may be a little bit different and he would’ve let his true feelings be known (oohaah even pointed out how pissed off he looked leaving the den in jacko’s car).  

Now that the immediate feeling of being pissed off has abated, I am taking a more objective view, and I do share the feeling of frustration at the overall sequence of events over the last few weeks.  It’s a bit of everything for me.  The injuries, the twice injury time defeats to Bristol City and Millwall, the way Preston did a number on us and the style of the defeat.  The getting done by two set pieces, particularly the first one on sat.  The fact we’ve started so well and blitzed 2019 in league one means I’m not used to losing and then the fact that it’s pissing losing to Millwall again, just added up and really really made me feel frustrated.

now, I can look back at the game in a bit more of a calm manner and they did try, they did want it in some respects ( we usually just get rolled over at Millwall) and we did create chances.  Plus, that squad is threadbare and we are missing two proper decent players in Taylor and Williams.  I think Bowyer is doing his level best with what he has, and is hopefully learning as he goes.  Add to that the uncertainty still going on in the background with RD, for me, it was only after the initial frustration of everything combining to add up to the Millwall defeat, that I can say it’s been very, very good.  

I would’ve loved to have won on Saturday, but it wasn’t to be.  I’m confident we can address at home to Cardiff and I’ve never been more certain of the fact I need to get behind Bowyer and the team as we hopefully manage this period, get Taylor back and see what we can do to turn it round 
    On another day, Cullen’s shot and Bonne’s volley would have gone in, and we win 3-2.
    Bonne's volley in particular - 9 times out of ten that bursts the net.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    We owe a lot to Bowyer. We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that:

1. we have the lowest budget in the Championship
    2. we’ve been decimated by injury
    3. we’ve had a brutal run of games over the past few weeks
    4. the Championship is a very tough league. 

In spite of all that we’re 11th.
    Agreed - he’s a good manager and there was no lack of effort from the players - never is - Sarr aside from them 2 crosses -  just our bogey team and have been for years - nearly always lose from a bit of luck or a cross launched in from a free kick and you just know it’s coming as well - has to change some time 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Rob said:
    We owe a lot to Bowyer. We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that:

1. we have the lowest budget in the Championship
    2. we’ve been decimated by injury
    3. we’ve had a brutal run of games over the past few weeks
    4. the Championship is a very tough league. 

In spite of all that we’re 11th.
    Agreed - he’s a good manager and there was no lack of effort from the players - never is - Sarr aside from them 2 crosses -  just our bogey team and have been for years - nearly always lose from a bit of luck or a cross launched in from a free kick and you just know it’s coming as well - has to change some time 
    April mate, it'll change then