Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

1345346347348349351»

Comments

• Options
    I've got the document that explains all this if anyone wans it - it's a cool 36 pages which will make entertaining reading for later
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Chunes said:
    Remember when Richard Murray announced that 'strategic partnership' with Liverpool after we sold them Shelvey. 
    Yes well it took a while but we managed to gift them Joe Gomez
    Don’t forget they loaned us Nathan Eccleston - what a signing he was......... since ending his loan with us 9 years ago he has kicked on and scored 6 goals. He was born in Liverpool(actually it was Manchester) but he was made in Charlton. 
    I can't find the original article on the the OS, but I seem to remember Murray saying how he knew fans would think this was just another 'partnership' announced to make us feel better, but that this was actually going to be the real deal and a long term partnership that would bring us the best of Liverpool's youth.

And like you say, we got Nathan Ecclestone, and that was it. 
  • Options
    Didn't we also have a link with a club in Ghana? Hearts of Oak or something like that, never amounted to much either.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Remember when Richard Murray announced that 'strategic partnership' with Liverpool after we sold them Shelvey. 
    Yes well it took a while but we managed to gift them Joe Gomez
    Don’t forget they loaned us Nathan Eccleston - what a signing he was......... since ending his loan with us 9 years ago he has kicked on and scored 6 goals. He was born in Liverpool(actually it was Manchester) but he was made in Charlton. 
    I can't find the original article on the the OS, but I seem to remember Murray saying how he knew fans would think this was just another 'partnership' announced to make us feel better, but that this was actually going to be the real deal and a long term partnership that would bring us the best of Liverpool's youth.

And like you say, we got Nathan Ecclestone, and that was it. 
    Most unlike Murray to tell a porkie. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Didn't we also have a link with a club in Ghana? Hearts of Oak or something like that, never amounted to much either.
    Asec Mimosas From the Ivory Coast. But funnily enough they striped us up for money money And reneged on everything we had agreed
  • Options
    Jordan Rhodes? 
    Only 30 and I think out of contract at Wednesday at the end of this season. 

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    iaitch said:
    Asec Mimosas From the Ivory Coast. But funnily enough they striped us up for money money And reneged on everything we had agreed
    I remember that, and can remember a couple of the players' names too, there was a Beko Fofana, Serge Deble and Bakary Soro, and a couple of others. We also had some form of partnership with Ajax Cape Town and Valencia too, of which nothing came of them
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Swisdom said:
    iaitch said:
    I remember that, and can remember a couple of the players' names too, there was a Beko Fofana, Serge Deble and Bakary Soro, and a couple of others. We also had some form of partnership with Ajax Cape Town and Valencia too, of which nothing came of them
    Cyrian Gohi Bi. Remember him because he was decent on Fifa. Ended up with Roland at Liège and an unsuccessful loan with Fulham a few years ago. Not had a bad career 
  • Options
    Varney linked us up with a Belgian club well before Roland had even heard of us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/4464294.stm

Charlton plan to send fringe players to gain experience in Belgium after signing an agreement with Belgian cup holders Germinal Beerschot.The London club already have similar links with New Zealand Knights, MyPa 47 in Finland and China's Shanghai Zobon."This link forms a very important part of our overseas strategy," said Charlton chief executive Peter Varney."The Belgian league is ideal for players not quite ready for the challenge of Premiership."

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Germinal Beerschot and Shanghai Zobon no longer exist. Isn’t that also true for a couple of our previous shirt sponsors?
  • Options
    Another club we linked up with were Herfolge from Denmark after we signed Martin Christensen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/6431855.stm
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Germinal Beerschot and Shanghai Zobon no longer exist. Isn’t that also true for a couple of our previous shirt sponsors?
    Nor do NZ Knights... We are a bit of a jinx arent we!!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The curse of Charlton!

Looking at their wiki page, Beerschot produced some great players

The youth academy of Beerschot produced the likes of Thomas Vermaelen, Mousa Dembélé, Radja Nainggolan, Jan Vertonghen, and Toby Alderweireld.
  • Options
    Germinal Beerschot. Bah.

When a certain member of this parish arranges a pre season piss up tour to Antwerp to watch the mighty Addicks destroy their new found 'partners' and the Belgian gits move the game forward by 24 hours so you turn up to an empty stadium.