Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electric Cars

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    CafcWest said:
    I've decided, for now, against going all electric.  But want to buy a 4WD mid-sized SUV that is a hybrid (e.g. Jeep, Peugeot 2008, DS..).  What I'm not clear on is the difference from self-charging and plug-in hybrid.  I, obviously, understand the difference in that one self charges as you drive and one you plug-in - but don't know why you'd buy one over the other?  Any advice or recommended models?
    I believe that a plug in can do X number of miles on electric only, where as a self charging only helps the car from a standing  start, along with running some of the car’s accessories.
  • Options
    BMW are also testing Hydrogen
    https://discover.bmw.co.uk/article/step-inside-the-new-bmw-ix5-hydrogen

Big Hydrogen plant developing in Sheffield that think it is worth the effort
    https://itm-power.com/

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I just have a gut feeling, no more than that, that hydrogen could be the future. Of course it isn't yet, but I see that a lot of work is being done looking at extracting hydrogen using sunlight. If they crack that it will change the game surely.
    we'll use hydrogen for things like aeroplanes (electric planes are still some way off apparently) and mayyybe sports cars, but electric will be the future for cars, general energy in the home. Buy copper and chill.
  • Options
    I just have a gut feeling, no more than that, that hydrogen could be the future. Of course it isn't yet, but I see that a lot of work is being done looking at extracting hydrogen using sunlight. If they crack that it will change the game surely.
    we'll use hydrogen for things like aeroplanes (electric planes are still some way off apparently) and mayyybe sports cars, but electric will be the future for cars, general energy in the home. Buy copper and chill.
    I'd tell those working on it not to bother.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    I've decided, for now, against going all electric.  But want to buy a 4WD mid-sized SUV that is a hybrid (e.g. Jeep, Peugeot 2008, DS..).  What I'm not clear on is the difference from self-charging and plug-in hybrid.  I, obviously, understand the difference in that one self charges as you drive and one you plug-in - but don't know why you'd buy one over the other?  Any advice or recommended models?
    We’ve got a Toyota RAV4 hybrid (fwd) which we are very happy with. 

It has a 4 cylinder 2,5l petrol engine producing 180bhp and an electric motor producing the equivalent of 38bhp (218bhp in total). This is more than enough for our needs, which is just driving around locally with an occasional dual carriage way or motorway blast. Our current fuel consumption is 5.1l/100km (46.16mpg). The 4WD version has 222bhp and the plug-in 330.

The plug-in has a larger range in full electric modus (approx. 80 km) while the self-charging will do about 8km before the petrol engine switches on to recharge the batteries. The plug-in is also capable of motorway speeds in full electric modus, while the other isn’t, although I have been in electric modus at an indicated 70km.

Feel free to ask if you want any more infos.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    We’ve got a Toyota RAV4 hybrid (fwd) which we are very happy with. 

It has a 4 cylinder 2,5l petrol engine producing 180bhp and an electric motor producing the equivalent of 38bhp (218bhp in total). This is more than enough for our needs, which is just driving around locally with an occasional dual carriage way or motorway blast. Our current fuel consumption is 5.1l/100km (46.16mpg). The 4WD version has 222bhp and the plug-in 330.

The plug-in has a larger range in full electric modus (approx. 80 km) while the self-charging will do about 8km before the petrol engine switches on to recharge the batteries. The plug-in is also capable of motorway speeds in full electric modus, while the other isn’t, although I have been in electric modus at an indicated 70km.

Feel free to ask if you want any more infos.
    Thank you @Stua@Stuart_the_Red - useful information and I think I'll definitely look at the RAV 4 - plug in version.
  • Options
    https://lightyear.one/

Lightyear 0 charges itself whenever the roof absorbs daylight. Charging becomes a journey, not a destination.
  • Options
    What a load of bollocks it all is. IMHO of course.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I have my new Kona now. So far it’s doing 280-290 miles per charge which costs about £9. It’s comfortable , smart , and much quicker than I imagined 
  • Options
    Anyone have any comments on the polestar 2?

are there tax benefits for leasing an electric car through a company?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, the parent company is Chinese, so it's a no from me.

• Options
    The 2023 Maserati Granturismo Folgore is being sneaked out. I think I might want one. (Folgore is Italian for Lightning - equivalent to 1200 bhp and supposedly a range of 440 miles.) Maserati -well known for their noisy exhausts - also claim to have solved the issue of the horrible lawnmower noise you get with electric vehicles.  They say it will be loud.

Maserati GranTurismo Folgore takes to the streets  Maserati
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I thought Polestar was owned by Volvo??
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    cafcfan said:

Volvo are Chinese owned
  • Options
    Not much of a car buff meself and have a Mazda CX-5. Deal on that finishes soon so thinking about going electric. The Kia EV6. Looks really smart and a colleague has one and raves about it. 50 gs seems a bit steep for a Kia tho. I’m assuming electric cars are pricier than petrol?
  • Options
    That’d explain it then…
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    cafcfan said:

Volvo are Chinese owned
    Should say part owned.
  • Options
    https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/04/toyota-claims-battery-breakthrough-electric-cars

745 miles distance on a single charge.
    And that charge would take less than 10 mins.

• Options
    Danepak said:
    https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/04/toyota-claims-battery-breakthrough-electric-cars

If Toyota's claims come to fruition by 2027, as they suggest, it will make all current electric cars obsolete overnight.  Nothing could compete with a 10 minute charge, half the weight, half the cost and twice the range.  Tesla could find itself being about as useful as a Sinclair C5:   doing the automotive equivalent of betamax or plasma TVs.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Car companies brought in those highly engineered engines a few years back. You know the ones, a 1 litre could perform like a 2 litre with 1 litre fuel consumption. And they were great until they went wrong. Car companies were responsible for fiddling deisel emissions and they are jumping on the electric vehicles with massive, heavy non eco friendly batteries now but any fool can see there has to be something better. And there will be, but meantime some people will be parted with their cash and end up with something completely useless in a few years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reading the "Just Stop Oil" thread, I wonder how will all the dead batteries of electric cars be processed?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Danepak said:

If Toyota's claims come to fruition by 2027, as they suggest, it will make all current electric cars obsolete overnight.  Nothing could compete with a 10 minute charge, half the weight, half the cost and twice the range.  Tesla could find itself being about as useful as a Sinclair C5:   doing the automotive equivalent of betamax or plasma TVs.
    Will synthetic fuel be available by then, and at a sensible price?
    No need to change cars and keep the garage network. Greener than batteries.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Reading the "Just Stop Oil" thread, I wonder how will all the dead batteries of electric cars be processed?
    Thats a great question Jessie, i don't know the answer to that i'm afraid.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Thats a great question Jessie, i don't know the answer to that i'm afraid.
    I remember learning at school years ago that dead batteries were difficult to deal with and an environmental threat, especially to soil. And that was even before the age of electric cars. Hopefully this won't be a new unsolvable issue...  otherwise history will just repeat itself and we'll see people take to the streets again 😅
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Danepak said:

Only if there was unlimited supply of new Toyotas and depending on price. But eventually, yes. I know that other manufacturers are investing lots in solid state as well. I wonder whether Toyota would license the technology to others - I would have thought the political pressure to do so would be overwhelming and it would make economic sense to as well.
  • Options
    Nephew has one of these little BMWs with the suicide rear doors. He's had it just over a year. Got it on peppercorn lease £150pcm for first year then with option to conto he at around £400. He has solar at home and also free charge at the office where he works but it's going back and he's going to get a Toyota Aygo as replacement. 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    I should imagine they will be dumped on the side of the road in Gillingham
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    The whole car industry is running about cheerfully ignoring the critical supply issues around all the rare expensive and difficult to extract metals necessary for battery manufacture 
    All of which are environmentally catastrophic to obtain and refine   The CO2 comparison to burning crude oil derived fuels is unfavourable 
    Add in that China controls the majority of those mining and processing businesses and there is a massive question mark over all battery powered personal transport 
    Synthetic petrol is technically possible but hugely expensive and doesn’t address the carbon problem
    The developed world’s attitude to personal transportation will need to have changed totally within 2 generations 
    I’m off to start hybridising the ultimate Clydesdale/racehorse/mule
    horse drawn is your grandkids future 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Just bought a 3.2 tdci Ford Ranger - but then I will be using it for fishing and camping etc - Electric cars need to come down some way before I can afford one. They also need to upsize - Not just the Hummer EV and the Rivian.