Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Davison - Sold to Wimbledon (pg 13)

Comments

• Options
    I was talking to his cousin on Wednesday - Davison doesn’t want to come back. 
  • Options
    I was talking to his cousin on Wednesday - Davison doesn’t want to come back. 
    Fine. That settles it then. Bye Josh 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Not seen anything in Davison to suggest he is upper end of L1.  Done well at Swindon but maybe that is his level?  If he comes back as one of the 4 squad strikers I would be disappointed.  If he came back to be a cheap 5th option I would think someone like Kanu/Gavin/Leaburn may have their opportunities then limited.  

Only reason to take the option is if we know he will turn it down but it pushes some compensation our way (like happened with Fosu I believe)
    Karlan Grant had frustrated many noisy commentators here and elsewhere for a couple of season before he went for the second half of a season to Crawley(?) in L2.  He "found his level" there, scored a few goals and bugger me if he wasn't much more successful for Charlton the following season.  In no time he was bought be promotion seeking/achieving Huddersfield and in under a year he'd gone from "never going to make it" to the premier league.
    Granted, Karlan and Josh are very different sorts of strikers but not offering JD a new contract now would be daft.  For all sorts of reasons, possible compensation, who else are we going to find as first alternate striker to play L1 football, he's in the Stockley mould and will naturally fit in alongside Wash when Stockers ain't available.  That list of "our" youngsters is very young indeed (cf KG above)
    If he gets a better offer elsewhere, good luck to him but casting him aside now is dimwitted and tantamount to self harm.
    Grant was an England youth international, his pedigree is far greater than Davison's. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Not seen anything in Davison to suggest he is upper end of L1.  Done well at Swindon but maybe that is his level?  If he comes back as one of the 4 squad strikers I would be disappointed.  If he came back to be a cheap 5th option I would think someone like Kanu/Gavin/Leaburn may have their opportunities then limited.  

Only reason to take the option is if we know he will turn it down but it pushes some compensation our way (like happened with Fosu I believe)
    Karlan Grant had frustrated many noisy commentators here and elsewhere for a couple of season before he went for the second half of a season to Crawley(?) in L2.  He "found his level" there, scored a few goals and bugger me if he wasn't much more successful for Charlton the following season.  In no time he was bought be promotion seeking/achieving Huddersfield and in under a year he'd gone from "never going to make it" to the premier league.
    Granted, Karlan and Josh are very different sorts of strikers but not offering JD a new contract now would be daft.  For all sorts of reasons, possible compensation, who else are we going to find as first alternate striker to play L1 football, he's in the Stockley mould and will naturally fit in alongside Wash when Stockers ain't available.  That list of "our" youngsters is very young indeed (cf KG above)
    If he gets a better offer elsewhere, good luck to him but casting him aside now is dimwitted and tantamount to self harm.
    Grant was an England youth international, his pedigree is far greater than Davison's. 
    Absolutely, and to expand on that, Grant was an England Youth International who went to Crawley in L2 as a 20yr old and scored a goal every 1.6 games.

Davison has not got the same pedigree, is 2 years older and has a league 2 scoring record of every 2.6 games.

Also under L1 rules we now have a squad cap that Davison would count towards which we did not have when Grant was around so we have to be selective and make more decisions about players retained.

Finally, as a L1 club with a limited budget we need to be careful about where it is spent whilst also considering and outstanding crop of U18's coming through and who we give contracts to.  We simply can't afford to keep everyone on the off chance they may come good so decisions will have to be made in the here and now and some may even turn out to be wrong.

It is a completely different set of facts to any Grant decision of the past.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Feel the stick Davison received on social media this season was OTT. Wasn't his fault he was overused because we didn't sign a suitable back up to Stockley. Not someone I think we should be looking to keep but always put the effort in and hopefully will have a decent league one/two career. 
    Don’t think the emergence of Burstow helped. Never good when you get dropped down the pecking order by an 18 year old
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

That argument might work if Davison wasn’t a few years older and complete dog shit. I’d bin him off for the haircut alone.
  • Options
    He looked like he was improving at the start of the season but he didn’t maintain that form. I’d let him go accepting there’s a good chance of him becoming a useful League 1 striker later on in his career.

With the squad cap we need another first team ready striker or two to challenge Stockley, Aneke and hopefully Washington next season, not someone who might come good. He needs game time to develop, he won’t get that here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He looked like he was improving at the start of the season but he didn’t maintain that form. I’d let him go accepting there’s a good chance of him becoming a useful League 1 striker later on in his career.

With the squad cap we need another first team ready striker or two to challenge Stockley, Aneke and hopefully Washington next season, not someone who might come good. He needs game time to develop, he won’t get that here.
     Posted this in March, same situation now still needing a good striker. Good to get a few for Davison though. 
  • Options
    Ah Jesus thank Buddah!
  • Options
    Wow that did happen quickly 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has enough presence and determination to have an impact in League Two at the least. Doesn't yet have the on-the-ball quality for what Garner wants. Good luck to him
  • Options
    Good luck to him. I think that he'll do well and will, no doubt, come back to haunt us in a year or two, when we are still languishing in Division 3.
  • Options
    Good luck Josh Davison-Ponytail

L2 feel like the right level for him, where I'd expect him to carve out a solid career
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Not good enough for us but wish him all the best. He worked hard
    Get the impression he didn’t want to be here either. Confidence was destroyed before his loan move, and never really inspired in pre-season. Probably the most obvious player to leave this window.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Great to get a fee. Would imagine they’ve used some of the money they got from Huddersfield for Rudoni.
  • Options
    Sad to see a fella go who tried his best……..but it had to be I guess, for all concerned.
    Good luck to the fella I say.
  • Options
    But TS said he was going to be one of our 4 strikers so we weren't desperate to sign another one. Gave the usual doom mongers some ammo to aim at TS for 5 minutes.

Good luck to Josh and definitely a good sign we're working bringing in another forward.