Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Davison - Sold to Wimbledon (pg 13)

Comments

• Options
    Trusting the newbie loan with a penalty.

Take note Bogle.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Scored 2 goals in a 3-0 win for Swindon yesterday
    I think "2" is pushing it, he knew nothing about the first one.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Scored 2 goals in a 3-0 win for Swindon yesterday
    I think "2" is pushing it, he knew nothing about the first one.
    Doesn't matter how they come. Right place, right time.
  • Options
    Only 22 and was maybe a tad unlucky to be playing when so many others were out. Personally I think he has been developing steadily. I would be tempted to sign him for at least the year and send him out on loan again. If he carries on scoring who knows? As a minimum we could at least get a fee for him.

• Options
    He showed a bit of promise when Stockley was first injured but didn't kick on from there
  • Options
    Why is leaburn being touted as a better option? What have I missed?
  • Options
    Personally I would let him go. I think Dylan Gavin will breakthrough next year, for me he is the one to watch out for, he is developing well, and looks like a winner! 
  • Options
    Not someone I've ever been overly convinced by ,think L2 is his level . As others have said above I'd rather develop Kanu and Dylan Gavin or find an experienced fourth striker to compete with Aneke,Stockley and Washington (assuming he stays)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is leaburn being touted as a better option? What have I missed?
    My comment was more that we have a lot of young strikers coming through at the moment. Signed up and hence maybe next off the block are Kanu and Gavin.  But there also seem others in the U18's who are scoring regularly, one being Leaburn. I doubt he is ready but out of all those coming through I would hope that at least one is good enough to be the young back up to the main 4.  On that basis I am just not convinced there is even space for Davison to be a cheap 5th option in the squad.
  • Options
    Not good enough at the moment so would not renew. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He showed a bit of promise when Stockley was first injured but didn't kick on from there
    This is how I feel about Davison. I’d give him another year if possible and loan him out first half of the season. There’s something there but he’s just not physical enough for League One.
  • Options
    Probably edging towards not offering him a contract. However, I do expect that he will be given a deal from another team in league 1 who will probably consider him a low risk signing. Personally, I would hope he has more ambition than wanting to be 4th choice striker for us. 
  • Options
    To me he'll have a decent career in L2. He may have some seasons in L1.

But I'm less convinced he'll be in a promotion seeking L1 side, which is what we need to be next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think a promotion seeking league one team needs players like Josh around to take over when there are injuries and / or losses of form amongst the "star" players.

I suspect that we would might have had four or five more points this season if Jackson had been able to use Josh properly when we seemed to be playing without forwards. (Not that it would have really mattered!).

Josh is the sort of player who can do a competent job provided you don't tell him that it is all down to him to create some magic and win the game for the team. Sometimes you need players like that

So I would offer him a contract but I'm not sure he would take it.
  • Options
    Not seen anything in Davison to suggest he is upper end of L1.  Done well at Swindon but maybe that is his level?  If he comes back as one of the 4 squad strikers I would be disappointed.  If he came back to be a cheap 5th option I would think someone like Kanu/Gavin/Leaburn may have their opportunities then limited.  

Only reason to take the option is if we know he will turn it down but it pushes some compensation our way (like happened with Fosu I believe)
    This in spades.

We will never get out of this division if we keep extending contracts to players who are simply not good enough. 

Last season it was Pearce, Watson & JFC

This season it will be Davison & JFC (again) 

We never move forward as we can't seem to let go of players who aren't good enough. We always want to give them another year "just because its the right thing to do" or "they might come good".......at age 25 !

If we keep Davison we wont be getting promoted. 
  • Options
    Not seen anything in Davison to suggest he is upper end of L1.  Done well at Swindon but maybe that is his level?  If he comes back as one of the 4 squad strikers I would be disappointed.  If he came back to be a cheap 5th option I would think someone like Kanu/Gavin/Leaburn may have their opportunities then limited.  

Only reason to take the option is if we know he will turn it down but it pushes some compensation our way (like happened with Fosu I believe)
    This in spades.

We will never get out of this division if we keep extending contracts to players who are simply not good enough. 

We never move forward as we can't seem to let go of players who aren't good enough. We always want to give them another year "just because its the right thing to do" or "they might come good".......at age 25 !

I suspect JFC will play in the championship before us! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

This in spades.

I suspect JFC will play in the championship before us! 
    the way things have gone for him the last few years I'd doubt that personally.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    If we re sign him that's a huge indicator of how seriously we're taking our promotion push next season. 
    I agree, providing we can bring someone better in (who isn't injury prone!!).
  • Options
    He's a hardworking kid but there's nothing that gives a hint of quality. 

Should and hopefully will be doing a lot lot better than him next season. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    If we re sign him that's a huge indicator of how seriously we're taking our promotion push next season. 
    This..
  • Options
    Release him … not going to make it at Charlton ..to much pressure on him 
    Dylan Gavin is far better option and is the next big thing ..
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    That applies to about 7 or 8 of our players 
  • Options

Karlan Grant had frustrated many noisy commentators here and elsewhere for a couple of season before he went for the second half of a season to Crawley(?) in L2.  He "found his level" there, scored a few goals and bugger me if he wasn't much more successful for Charlton the following season.  In no time he was bought be promotion seeking/achieving Huddersfield and in under a year he'd gone from "never going to make it" to the premier league.
    Granted, Karlan and Josh are very different sorts of strikers but not offering JD a new contract now would be daft.  For all sorts of reasons, possible compensation, who else are we going to find as first alternate striker to play L1 football, he's in the Stockley mould and will naturally fit in alongside Wash when Stockers ain't available.  That list of "our" youngsters is very young indeed (cf KG above)
    If he gets a better offer elsewhere, good luck to him but casting him aside now is dimwitted and tantamount to self harm.