Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How long has Ole Gunnar Solskjaer got ?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if any decent managers would want the job. Ole is on borrowed time.
    They will do if they gets similar contracts to Moyes and Mourinho and get sacked after a season or 2. 
  • Options
    Not sure if any decent managers would want the job. Ole is on borrowed time.
    They will do if they gets similar contracts to Moyes and Mourinho and get sacked after a season or 2. 
    Astonishing that Moyes' Man Utd contract only expired 6 months ago. 
  • Options
    Missing out on Europe I guess is the modern equivalent of the struggle United had after Busby which led to relegation...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Admittedly he's not the best manager, but for me the issues at United are higher up. Who is in charge of recruitment? The Glazers entrust Ed Woodward, a non-footballing man, to make extremely important footballing decisions and that's the problem. Leave him to do what he's good at (getting very good sponsorship deals) and employ a director of football to put a plan in place and work with the manager on signings. 

How on earth have a club of United's stature and wealth ended up with a midfield containing the likes of Fred, Pereira and McTominay?!

United can keep changing managers, and yes Poch will almost certainly do better than Solksjaer, but overall until they sort things out off the pitch, the problems will still be there. And the longer they leave it, the further and further they will drift from City and Liverpool.
    McTominay is class, but they should never miss him as much as they do. 

I don't think they will ever slip so far behind that they can't get back.  They half a good team.  With right focus they could sort it out in 3 transfer windows.  They might not catch the other 2, arguably the best 2 teams in premier league history, but they certainly won't be finishing 40 odd points behind. 

Will they buy the right players in the next 3 windows?  Probably not, so it's a mute point. 

He tries hard but he's not top class like you'd expect of a United player.

He wouldn't get near the City or Liverpool first XI.
    Liverpool have a midfield of Henderson Milner and Wijnaldum
    Fabinho (before he got injured) and Keita are mainly first choice in their midfield. They also have Oxlade-Chamberlain. All are better than McTominay.
  • Options
    Well put Cabbles
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    They reap what they sow.  In the same way I have highlighted Arsenal are a club made up of no backbone and who aren't mentally strong, with very weak mindsets, Man Utd are just a vehicle for sponsorship and a brand more interested in clothing the far east in shirts, than they are with what goes on on the pitch.  The football is secondary.  Solskjaer sort of made sense because there was an element of bringing a connection back with the fans, but when you look at his record, it's mental that he was given the job full time.  

He should've done the caretaker role whilst the board put in the proper time to reassess what they need to do long term for the club.  They should be looking at an Ajax blueprint, or what Liverpool have done.  The whole strategy since Fergie left has been one of, we're 'Man Utd', we can just attract the best players/managers.  Football has changed, they have stagnated.  I know it's not comparable in the grand scheme of bad owners when you compare the Glazers to Roland, or the guy who was at Bury, but they need to go.  They've basically treated the club like a large acquisition by a private equity company, loaded it with debt and are selling it's soul to the masses.  

I remember going up to Blackpool for our rearranged game a couple of years ago on a Tuesday night.  Man Utd had a knockout CL game.  They lost to Seville I think.  The service station was full of tourists from Singapore.  There's nothing wrong with that per se, but to me, it seemed like a lot of them were there to tick it off in the same way you would Big Ben or the houses of Parliament.  There was no soul.  That's what they've got now.  A club with no soul because they've chased the money.
    I agree with this up to a point because Manchester United are without doubt a world brand. They make lots of money by being so. I can fully understand why football fans visiting the U.K. would like to take in game at Old Trafford. What other English clubs can say that on the same scale and why not. Having said that I think it’s unfair to say that Man Utd are without soul. Go to Manchester and the surrounding area and there are as many passionate reds as you would find at any big club. Being Manchester United demands success. It’s brand makes money from that success and anything less hurts that brand. Every club cultivates their brand as much as they can. I don’t have a problem with Man Utd exploiting theirs. Where the problem lies for me is that following years of stability under Ferguson much in the same way as Charlton under Curbishley really poor management decisions have been made. Until they decide on a management team with the highest credentials and then stick with them and support them I think it’s going to be tough. 
  • Options
    Apparently they're in for Slimani and Ighalo. So I guess basically just embracing mid-table now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He will stay til the end of the season, my guess.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    They reap what they sow.  In the same way I have highlighted Arsenal are a club made up of no backbone and who aren't mentally strong, with very weak mindsets, Man Utd are just a vehicle for sponsorship and a brand more interested in clothing the far east in shirts, than they are with what goes on on the pitch.  The football is secondary.  Solskjaer sort of made sense because there was an element of bringing a connection back with the fans, but when you look at his record, it's mental that he was given the job full time.  

He should've done the caretaker role whilst the board put in the proper time to reassess what they need to do long term for the club.  They should be looking at an Ajax blueprint, or what Liverpool have done.  The whole strategy since Fergie left has been one of, we're 'Man Utd', we can just attract the best players/managers.  Football has changed, they have stagnated.  I know it's not comparable in the grand scheme of bad owners when you compare the Glazers to Roland, or the guy who was at Bury, but they need to go.  They've basically treated the club like a large acquisition by a private equity company, loaded it with debt and are selling it's soul to the masses.  

I remember going up to Blackpool for our rearranged game a couple of years ago on a Tuesday night.  Man Utd had a knockout CL game.  They lost to Seville I think.  The service station was full of tourists from Singapore.  There's nothing wrong with that per se, but to me, it seemed like a lot of them were there to tick it off in the same way you would Big Ben or the houses of Parliament.  There was no soul.  That's what they've got now.  A club with no soul because they've chased the money.
    I find this sort of condescending  stuff about other clubs a bit disrespectful as if we are some sort of superior set of supporters because our team are pony .
    As shit as they are,  for them , their shit is our dreamland 
    Their support is brilliant numbers wise , song wise etc 
    Theyve lost their legend and are slumping,  just as Arsenal,  just as we did but their slumps are a different beast to ours ,  they won’t drop 2 divisions , their crowds won’t drop by 2/3 because it’s made up of soulless Premiership fans / tourists / day trippers or whatever you wanna call them 
    we gave tickets away,  we had a soul less ground,  we had fuck all songs during our slump 
    they’ll always get decent crowds whatever position/league they are in (comparative to the times ) 
    don’t get me wrong I hate them , Liverpool and the rest of them but they’re a different beast of a club and in their shit times , which obviously would be dream times for us their support is not as fickle and flakey as ours %age wise .
    we are a different beast to these teams but just cos our team are generally pony I don’t think We’re superior to them as supporters , I think our hardcore are as passionate and mad for it as theirs it’s just our ups and downs are different things all together .
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I find this sort of condescending  stuff about other clubs a bit disrespectful as if we are some sort of superior set of supporters because our team are pony .
    Theyve lost their legend and are slumping,  just as Arsenal,  just as we did but their slumps are a different beast to ours ,  they won’t drop 2 divisions , their crowds won’t drop by 2/3 because it’s made up of soulless Premiership fans / tourists / day trippers or whatever you wanna call them 
    we gave tickets away,  we had a soul less ground,  we had fuck all songs during our slump 
    they’ll always get decent crowds whatever position/league they are in (comparative to the times ) 
    don’t get me wrong I hate them , Liverpool and the rest of them but they’re a different beast of a club and in their shit times , which obviously would be dream times for us their support is not as fickle and flakey as ours %age wise .
    we are a different beast to these teams but just cos our team are generally pony I don’t think We’re superior to them as supporters , I think our hardcore are as passionate and mad for it as theirs it’s just our ups and downs are different things all together .
    If they dropped 2 leagues of course their attendances would drop too
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Their attendances already are dropping, there were huge numbers of empty seats for their game v Burnley the other night. But obviously these are ST holders who can't be arsed, so the 'official' number doesn't drop.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

By 2 thirds? 
  • Options
    Last time United fell out of the top flight 1973/4 their relegation season average attendance was 42,721 
    The following promotion  season in 2nd tier they averaged 48,388

• Options
    cabbles said:

By 2 thirds? 
    After a few years, Yeah, I reckon so, if we had a decent % of daytrippers / Glory boys do you really think itd be less at a succesful club like Utd?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

By 2 thirds? 
    After a few years, Yeah, I reckon so, if we had a decent % of daytrippers / Glory boys do you really think itd be less at a succesful club like Utd?
    Yes , they’ll have waiting lists etc and people desperate to see them whatever league they are in .
    Of course they’d drop but nowhere near as much as us

• Options

In the 1950s…
    City’s average league position: 15th
    City’s average attendance position: 10th (1 year in Div 2 – position not included)
    City’s average attendance: 30,028

United’s average league position: 3rd
    United’s average attendance position: 4th
    United’s average attendance: 35,667

In the 1960s…
    City’s average league position: 18th
    City’s average attendance position: 13th (3 years in Div 2 – positions not included)
    City’s average attendance: 27,823

United’s average league position: 7th
    United’s average attendance position: 2nd
    United’s average attendance: 45,199

In the 1970s…
    City’s average league position: 9th
    City’s average attendance position: 6th
    City’s average attendance: 35,178

United’s average league position: 11th
    United’s average attendance position: 1st (1 year in Div 2 – position not included)
    United’s average attendance: 48,328

In the 1980s…
    City’s average league position: 20th
    City’s average attendance position: 5th (4 years in Div 2 – positions not included)
    City’s average attendance: 26,866

United’s average league position: 5th
    United’s average attendance position: 1st
    United’s average attendance: 43,090

In the 1990s pre Premiership/Sky…
    City’s average league position: 8th
    City’s average attendance position: 6th
    City’s average attendance: 27,846

United’s average league position: 7th
    United’s average attendance position: 1st
    United’s average attendance: 42,654

Problem is they never go down and they’ve been the biggest supported team for a while 

• Options
    Then maybe youd be better off supporting Utd if everything about the club and fans is better than our poxy little tinpot club?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Then maybe youd be better off supporting Utd if everything about the club and fans is better than our poxy little tinpot club?
    Yeah, good one 

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Northern clubs are better supported. Wow. 

And a northern club who won absolutely everything while the current adult generation was growing up has really really great support....

Somebody call the 6 o' clock news!

My old football manager was a Burnley fan. This was back when they were total pants. Yet they were still packed nearly every game. He once said to me, "Chunes, you're a world class player. You know why most of the stadiums up north are brimming on a Saturday? Because nobody's got 'owt better to do."
  • Options
    Ive never understood the hate for Man Utd tbh. Yes they have a lot of fans who refuse to attend games and pretend their experts. But no more than Liverpool do. 

Also unlike Liverpool and Arsenal, actual Man Utd fans who attend games are decent and aren't arrogant and deluded. Always got the impression that if I told a Man Utd fan in a pub in Manchester I was a Charlton fan, they wouldn't give me a look of total disdain and would be very chatty.

Their biggest mistake they made was not picking the right successor to Ferguson. Been on the decline since. Getting Everton into the top 6/7 most seasons and not winning a trophy, is not something a club like Man Utd should be looking for when replacing Ferguson. 

• Options
    hammering mighty Tranmere has ensured he gets a new 10 year contract ((:>)
  • Options
    hammering mighty Tranmere has ensured he gets a new 10 year contract ((:>)
    It just extends his time on death row. 
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Ive never understood the hate for Man Utd tbh. Yes they have a lot of fans who refuse to attend games and pretend their experts. But no more than Liverpool do. 

Also unlike Liverpool and Arsenal, actual Man Utd fans who attend games are decent and aren't arrogant and deluded. Always got the impression that if I told a Man Utd fan in a pub in Manchester I was a Charlton fan, they wouldn't give me a look of total disdain and would be very chatty.

Their biggest mistake they made was not picking the right successor to Ferguson. Been on the decline since. Getting Everton into the top 6/7 most seasons and not winning a trophy, is not something a club like Man Utd should be looking for when replacing Ferguson. 

Agree they messed up with Fergie's replacement but im sure Fergie himself had some say in it, or maybe im wrong?
    They have always had excellent support, especially away from home, and make a good atmosphere. 
    Also they have never been afraid to promote players from their academy and give them a chance. 
    Will Ole be given time? Who knows. I hope they give him a chance to rebuild the squad, get rid of the showboat players and start playing how they used to play with wingers and pace. 
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:

Agree they messed up with Fergie's replacement but im sure Fergie himself had some say in it, or maybe im wrong?
    They have always had excellent support, especially away from home, and make a good atmosphere. 
    Also they have never been afraid to promote players from their academy and give them a chance. 
    Will Ole be given time? Who knows. I hope they give him a chance to rebuild the squad, get rid of the showboat players and start playing how they used to play with wingers and pace. 
    He won’t be given time because they can’t afford to. If he gets through until next season start I’d be amazed and if he does then he will be gone by Christmas unless they are right there. 
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:

He won’t be given time because they can’t afford to. If he gets through until next season start I’d be amazed and if he does then he will be gone by Christmas unless they are right there. 
    This is the essence of it.  Man U have to produce a lot of profit to service their debt and satisfy the shareholders.  The football is only a means to that end, and it's not the quality of the football that matters, it's being successful in the competitions that generate the most money and give them the most exposure.
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:

Moyes was apparently 6th choice to replace Fergie after Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti and Van Gaal (not in that order). Fergie maintains it was the right decision though. 
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:

He deserves more time from the owners based purely on the fact they got rid of Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez and didn't give him a replacement for either. Can't imagine too many other top clubs doing that.