Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Swansea City | Wednesday 3 October | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Agree with other posters that JFC had a good cameo and helped in a period of pressure where on another day the ball would have fallen for us and we equalise.
    Very amused at Baston and his miracle recovery. Love to know what Pearce said or did to anger him. Remember that is a £15m striker we were up against and we did ok.
  • Options
    Watched on TV. As others have said, we worked hard but could not quite the the final ball right. Could have pinched a draw in the scramble at the end, but fair play to Swansea, they looked outstanding for this league.
    Still, got to look on the bright side: we have points in the bank and we were very competitive against probably the best side in the division, even with experienced players missing.
    I thought Aneke looked good when he came on and Ozzy has really quick feet but could never quite get into the positions he needed.
    Anyway, onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Bonne getting slated is absolutely ridiculous.
    Anyone getting slated tonight is ridiculous

All put in as best a performance as they each could and agree with Bowyer that each player gave 100% which is all we can ask

Funnily the one fault of Bonne which no one seems to have mentioned was his terrible air kick late on (seemed to jump twice over the ball), was unfortunately a great opportunity to equalise but meh! these things happen

Swansea definitely the better team - Did they deserve to win - Yes because they scored more goals than us; did we deserve a draw... Yes I think our performance merited a point as we were a threat at times as occasionally we looked like we'd put out a similar display to the one against Forest (their goal stopped that happening), sadly just couldnt break through against a strong team
  • Options
    Their CB's were class, looked a very good team throughout & a bit better than us tonight. No disgrace though we battled throughout, not worried about relegation.

What a coup getting Lockyer, great footballing defender, him and Pearce combine so well, just need to work harder as a team defending set pieces, think that's 4 we have conceeded from  thus far.
    Both the Welsh CBs Rodon and Lockyer played very well. I wonder if Ryan Giggs was there as there were a number of Welsh players on display
  • Options
    Lacked intensity tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First 15 minutes were magic but leading up to and after their first goal, they bossed the game. 
    Didn’t think we were dreadful just that they outclassed us. I think the difference in the value of Swansea’s squad against ours is a big factor. Theirs is £43m and ours is £14m according to Transfermarkt. 
    Saturday we play Fulham whose value is £122m...
  • Options
    Was the goalmouth scramble near the end anywhere close to crossing the line?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Fulham, Derby and WBA now. Thank god we have 17 points already. I didn't think we were that bad but this feels like the reality check time of the season. More ground-out points would be a welcome bonus
  • Options
    Their CB's were class, looked a very good team throughout & a bit better than us tonight. No disgrace though we battled throughout, not worried about relegation.

What a coup getting Lockyer, great footballing defender, him and Pearce combine so well, just need to work harder as a team defending set pieces, think that's 4 we have conceeded from  thus far.
    Both the Welsh CBs Rodon and Lockyer played very well. I wonder if Ryan Giggs was there as there were a number of Welsh players on display
    Did we have more Welsh players than Swansea ?
  • Options
    I think we played well against a very very good team. One goal defeats like this give me no doubt that we will stay up this season.

Taking 3 points from Leeds and Swansea is immense. Bowyer continues to over perform. And despite a somewhat lackluster attack without Taylor, we continue to challenge some very good teams.

Not a single thing to worry about after tonight.
    I'd be worried about her lack of attacking threat, we're incredibly dependent on Lyle. 
  • Options
    We are back at this level and sides like this if they are on their A game have the aualities to hurt you.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    After initial disappointment I had a little word with myself.

We're in the top half after spending the season to date in the top 6. 

In May I had expected us to be glued to the bottom all year.

Bowyer Out.
  • Options

Did we have more Welsh players than Swansea ?
    Both of us started with 2 each (all defenders) then we brought Williams on.
  • Options
    Paddington isn't injured is he? Please tell me it's not so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

5 I believe. Blackburn away, Nottingham Forest at home, 2 vs Wigan away and tonight. Average of 1 corner concession every 2 games. That rate really can't continue or it's going to cost us a lot of points. 

• Options
    At the game. First five minutes and last ten hoofball aside we were fairly comfortably beaten by a much better side. We tried hard but our inadequacies were pretty cruelly exposed. Taylor is an enormous miss but even with him I think we’d have struggled. Swansea are a class above and are the best team I’ve seen this season on a par with Brentford but with more up front. Bonne out of his depth which is not a criticism, just a statement of fact. He wasn’t bought to be playing at the moment but with Taylor injured and Hemed a busted flush he’s all we’ve got. Leko gets a lot of stick but he needs someone alongside him who is on the same wavelength and some decent service. Poor games (a worryingly recurring feature) from a couple of our stalwarts (Cullen and Purrington) and a bad night at the office from our creative midgets (Oz and Jonny) meant that there was precious little to cheer other than effort. But we are still ahead of where we thought we should be but reality has been well and truly checked. 

Way more kids at the game tonight around us than on Saturday. One in particular a right pain in the arse. It’s a sodding school night!!!!!!    Bah Humbug. 
  • Options
    Disappointed but sanguine atm. 

We have a pretty decent back 4 & a midfield that is on par with anyone else in this League. Unfortunately that is where it stops. Without Taylor our attack is mid League 1 at best. Not their fault......blame the owner. We are in a dodgy run of games atm & we'll just have to dig deep & try to pick up points where we can. 

On the negative side though......as someone posted earlier, our shots at goal tally is very poor. I think I could have played in goal for Swansea tonight. Carney at Fulham has scored FOUR goals from outside the box so far this season......I doubt we will get 4 all season. I dont give monkeys about EG & stats on where it's best to score from. Just shoot for Christ sake  !!!!

As for individual performances tonight ; I thought Gallagher , Lockyer & Field stood out, with Oztumer showing why he didnt play much for a poor Bolton side last season. He did a lot of running but very ineffectual with the ball. Thought Chuks did ok when he came on & had a decent penalty shout......not sure he did much wrong & can only think the ref blew for a high foot. 

Onto Saturday. I'll put my prediction in now - 4-0 loss. Cairny from distance & at least one from Mitrovic.
  • Options
    McCauley Bonne is just another Chris dickson, the gamble on him performing in the championship has backfired.
    I don't think you can call it a gamble, we've had no choice but to go for cheap options like bonne and anneke given Rolands microscopic budget.

• Options
    Paddington isn't injured is he? Please tell me it's not so.
    I blame Mr Curry
  • Options
    At the game. First five minutes and last ten hoofball aside we were fairly comfortably beaten by a much better side. We tried hard but our inadequacies were pretty cruelly exposed. Taylor is an enormous miss but even with him I think we’d have struggled. Swansea are a class above and are the best team I’ve seen this season on a par with Brentford but with more up front. Bonne out of his depth which is not a criticism, just a statement of fact. He wasn’t bought to be playing at the moment but with Taylor injured and Hemed a busted flush he’s all we’ve got. Leko gets a lot of stick but he needs someone alongside him who is on the same wavelength and some decent service. Poor games (a worryingly recurring feature) from a couple of our stalwarts (Cullen and Purrington) and a bad night at the office from our creative midgets (Oz and Jonny) meant that there was precious little to cheer other than effort. But we are still ahead of where we thought we should be but reality has been well and truly checked. 

Way more kids at the game tonight around us than on Saturday. One in particular a right pain in the arse. It’s a sodding school night!!!!!!    Bah Humbug. 
    A big school group got on the train at Greenwich to go to the game...
  • Options
    Deserved win for the best team we've played this season.

Pressed us everywhere out of possession and moved the ball weLl in possession.

No shame in that defeat. We worked hard as usual but neither No.10 (Ozzie or Johnny) could get a grip on the game.

Hard work, organisation and guts gets you so far but we lacked that little bit more. Had a go at the end but couldn't fashion another clear chance after our early go.

I thought we missed Solly, Pratley and of course Taylor but even with them not sure we would have won. We lived with them but were 2nd best.

Still, ten games in, we're 8th, hard to beat and with players to come in.

Odd fact of the day.

The back line wore the "right" numbers: 1, 2, 3, 5 & 6

No 4?