Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Support band stole the show

124»

Comments

• Snow Patrol with Ed Sheeran 2018....I am biased as a fan
  • Late 70’s, UK Subs supporting Girlschool but way better. 

Same era, the Skids pissed over the lead band Ultravox. 

Also recall a flash but crap US band, The Dictators, at the Roundhouse, support band The Adverts much more exciting. 

• I saw The Residents supporting someone, possibly The Damned. Not so sure about the music, but the costumes were top notch.
  • edited September 2019
    Candyheadz supporting All About Eve at SBE 2002.  Julianne and her boys were fab but Ted Chau's (then) new outfit was the most exciting band I'd seen in years, sadly short-lived, just the one album.
    Thunder supporting Alice Cooper at Wembley Arena 2002.  Thunder (still) brilliant live - AC not so much, sound was just awful.
    Motorhead and Joan Jett & the Blackhearts supporting Alice Cooper at Wembley Arena 2007.  Turns out Alice Cooper shows are disappointing, at best.
    Terrorvision supporting Balaam & the Angel, Marquee, late 90 or early 91
    Terrorvision supporting Zodiac Mindarp & the Love Reaction, Zap Club, Brighton late 90 or early 91.  Tony, Mark, Leigh & Shutty on the cusp of major label deal and chart success, thoroughly nice chaps an' all.
    (un announced) Paul Weller acoustic supporting the obviously disillusioned and shamelessly past-caring Ocean Colour Scene at Hammersmith a few years ago
  • Chas n Dave came close to it when I saw them supporting the mighty Quo at the o2 a few years ago.

The Charlatans supporting Oasis at Finsbury Park in 2002.
    chaz and dave were massively under rated - brillant live act 
  • Nirvana. 3rd on the bill to L7 and Godflesh back in October 1990.

They came on blew the audience away, smashed the stage up and walked off.

As they left 2/3 of the crowd did as well.

They were on a different planet that night.
    Astoria - 1990

One of my first ever gigs

Thought Godesh were amazing as well - L7 were shit. Next time I saw Godflesh was at the Venue supporting Prong and I broke my nose in the pit 30 seconds in
  • Nirvana. 3rd on the bill to L7 and Godflesh back in October 1990.

They came on blew the audience away, smashed the stage up and walked off.

As they left 2/3 of the crowd did as well.

They were on a different planet that night.
    Astoria - 1990

One of my first ever gigs

Thought Godesh were amazing as well - L7 were shit. Next time I saw Godflesh was at the Venue supporting Prong and I broke my nose in the pit 30 seconds in
    I saw Nirvana also at the Asrtoria and they were 3rd on the bill to Mudhoney and Tad. Mudhoney won the day.
  • The Truth in 1984. Supported The Kinks at Hammersmith Palais. By 1984 the Kinks were past their best & the "tour" was mainly to promote their new single "Come dancing"

Love Dennis Greaves. His Blues Jam every last Sunday at The Pelton Arms is a great night.
    He was in 9 Below Zero wasn't he?...now there a bloody good band.

Yes mate, as I said above, am going to see them next Saturday at the Mick Jagger Centre
    Cracking gig
  • Albert Hall, 2009. Daniel Barenboim was conducting with the RPO, supporting Sir John Eliot Gardiner with The Boston Pops. "JEG" blew DB away - sublime.
  • Charlton fans v Fulham fans yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pagan supporting SF2 at Lincoln Technical College in 1977. Promoters asked them to come on again at the end but the headliners wouldn't let us use their amps and drums. Sorry I mean them.
  • The Alarm supported U2 around 82/83 and were the better band. Pretty sure it was Hammersmith Palais.

• edited October 2019
    In the late seventies I worked for Bernie Rhodes (Clash manager, Subway Sect, Dexy's, Specials, Joboxers) and I helped set up a gig for the Subway Sect at The Forum in Kentish Town. The Bureau (ex Dexy's) were headlining, and Subway Sect supporting, but just after The Sect finished their soundcheck this Seikh guy walked up to the stage and asked if his band could play bottom of the bill. Vic being Vic thought that was a brilliant idea, and at the appointed hour The singing Siekh took to the stage with his set of Elvis covers. He was absolutely brilliant and had all the moves. The crowd loved him, and the early Bureau (despite playing a decent set) fell pretty flat, with some of the crowd drifting away early. Never heard much about the Singing Seikh after that night though.
  • cfgs said:
    Can't believe there are so many Thunder fans on here, normally when I mention them to people they say WHO?
    One of my favourite bands.  Incredibly underrated 
    Local lads although non of them support Charlton. Used to go to the same school as Ben Matthews although he was a year or 2 behind me 
  • The Truth in 1984. Supported The Kinks at Hammersmith Palais. By 1984 the Kinks were past their best & the "tour" was mainly to promote their new single "Come dancing"

I was there, to see The Truth. Left when The Kinks came on.
  • Thursday 28th November 1974 The Dome, Brighton.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd supporting Golden Earring.
    Oh dear, whoever put that tour together obviously had no idea who or what Lynyrd Skynyrd were. They destroyed Golden Earring who didn’t come on stage for 45 minutes and fell flat even when they played Radar Love.
    The rush forward, and the roar from the fans, when Lynyrd Skynyrd opened up Freebird remains one of the highlights of my concert going experiences.
  • JamesSeed said:
    In the late seventies I worked for Bernie Rhodes (Clash manager, Subway Sect, Dexy's, Specials, Joboxers) and I helped set up a gig for the Subway Sect at The Forum in Kentish Town. The Bureau (ex Dexy's) were headlining, and Subway Sect supporting, but just after The Sect finished their soundcheck this Seikh guy walked up to the stage and asked if his band could play bottom of the bill. Vic being Vic thought that was a brilliant idea, and at the appointed hour The singing Siekh took to the stage with his set of Elvis covers. He was absolutely brilliant and had all the moves. The crowd loved him, and the early Bureau (despite playing a decent set) fell pretty flat, with some of the crowd drifting away early. Never heard much about the Singing Seikh after that night though.
    Great story!
  • Pringle said:
    The Darkness, before their first album came out, supported Def Leppard at Brixton Academy and were amazing.  Leppard were OK.  
    I agree.