Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Support band stole the show

Comments

• Options
    Saw Arctic Monkeys at a one off gig at Brixton for the humbug album, support act kept secret, them crooked vultures
    I was there too but no way did they surpass the Monkeys that night.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Bob Dylan mid 80s at Wembley Arena - supported by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Southern Accents hadn't long been out and Petty was awesome.
    Saw TPATH four times and they put on a fantastic show each time.

Petty was an Icon and was as upset at him going as Kilmister two years previously.
  • Options
    I thought Kasabian were better than Oasis, in Oasis's final Wembley Stadium performance in 2009.
    https://www.concertarchives.org/bands/oasis
  • Options
    Oasis seem to figure a lot here. The Verve smashed them to pieces at Earls Court in 97 ( I think). 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    cafckev said:
    Two spring to mind.
    Went to see showaddywaddy in Croydon with Alvin Stardust was far better.
    Also went to see Lordi and the although were brilliant, Turisas was simply amazing. 
    The demographic group of people who are fans of both Showaddywaddy and Lordi is, I suspect, quite small.
    Oh I wasn’t a Showaddywaddy fan. My mate was friends with the group and travelled around the UK watching them. He kept banging on about going to see them, so I finally agreed. Needless to say, it was the one and only time I have ever seen them!
  • Options
    Kid Creole and the Coconuts blew off ABC at the Paladium a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Thunder supporting Whitesnake.  Wembley Arena 2013
    Thunder supporting Mott the Hoople at the 02 in 2014
    Yep. Was at that one too 
  • Options
    Saw Arctic Monkeys at a one off gig at Brixton for the humbug album, support act kept secret, them crooked vultures
    That was a superb gig! But wouldn’t say Them Crooked Vultures were better. Alex Turner was right on form that night. 
  • Options
    Can't believe there are so many Thunder fans on here, normally when I mention them to people they say WHO?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Darkness, before their first album came out, supported Def Leppard at Brixton Academy and were amazing.  Leppard were OK.  
  • Options
    Not quite sure about stealing the show, but totally winning over a difficult audience: Gino Washington supporting The Fall.
  • Options
    Unexpected genius: Starbase 109 supporting The Stranglers
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Pere Ubu supporting Pixies in 1989. Pixies were great but so were the Ubu.

Tricky supporting PJ Harvey at the Shepherds Bush Empire. Both acts, amazing.

Edsel Auctioneer supporting the Lemonheads in 1990. Loved the Auctioneer so much got tickets to see them supporting the Pale Saints at Hammy O and left before the Saints came on.
  • Options
    sholland said:
    I went to see a band in the 90's called Saint Etienne at Southsea Parade Pier the support band was Pulp, Jarvis and the band were superb. Everybody leaving was talking about them rather than the main act you just knew they were going to make it big. 
    It took quite a while for Pulp to finally make it. Jarvis started them in the late 70's. The 90's were certainly where they took off though. They had many years of practice beforehand, to get that good.  
  • Options
    da18 said:
    Went to see Example in 2010 and Ed Sheehan was the support act, blew him away even then!
    To be fair it was Example...
  • Options
    Terence Trent D’Arby supporting Simply Red in Portsmouth late 80’s. I’d never heard of him before that.
  • Options
    Idlewild I thought were much better than Coldplay at Wembley arena, but then I thought that before I went as well
  • Options
    Best ever Pink Fairies gig was when they were support to a German prog Rock band called Amon Duul at the Rainbow Finsbury Park, would've been early seventies.
    After the Fairies set the place emptied. I stayed for about half a number from Amon Duul, and by christ they were dull.
  • Options
    Genesis supporting Lindisfarne at the Lewisham Odeon in 1972. I wasn’t really aware of them before this. Genesis had their Foxtrot album out at the time and if I remember they played through the whole album and with Peter Gabriel dressing up at one time with the fox head and red dress as included in he album cover. Was so different from anything I had watched live before this. Much preferred them when Gabriel was in the line up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:
    Can't believe there are so many Thunder fans on here, normally when I mention them to people they say WHO?
    One of my favourite bands.  Incredibly underrated 
  • Options
    That was a superb gig! But wouldn’t say Them Crooked Vultures were better. Alex Turner was right on form that night. 
    yeah you're right, thought was worth mentioning, to be supported by a supergroup was a touch, he's mates with Josh Homme
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chas and Dave blew Status Quo away at the O2 a few years ago.  And, a few years before that, C&D were themselves supported by Buster Shuffle, who absolutely ripped it up. 

Also, in 1983, I saw The Police with a support band "to be announced".  Turned out to be The Animals, reformed only that year.  The concert was recorded, released and they disbanded again. 
    Did Eric Burdon take part ?
  • Options
    Cult supporting Aerosmith. Followed them round Germany. In the end we were walking out before the 'smith's rolled out for their tired, formulaic durge
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Not quite the same but I went to a small festival down in Devon a few years ago and was really excited Seasick Steve was headlining (and he was very good), but one of the support acts I'd never heard of went down really well, little ginger bloke called Ed Sheeran. 
    Have had a beer with him. Thought he was quite tall. 5'11'' plus. Not overly confident but a nice fella
  • Options
    Travis blew Oasis off the SECC stage in Glasgow.

This was before they became Coldplay whimperesque shite. Travis were very lively and rockier then.

• Options
    Went to see The Damned at the Lyceum in 1979, they were poor that night, but the first support were The Specials who were excellent. Just before the whole Two Tone thing kicked off.
  • Options
    The Truth in 1984. Supported The Kinks at Hammersmith Palais. By 1984 the Kinks were past their best & the "tour" was mainly to promote their new single "Come dancing"

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chas and Dave blew Status Quo away at the O2 a few years ago.  And, a few years before that, C&D were themselves supported by Buster Shuffle, who absolutely ripped it up. 

Also, in 1983, I saw The Police with a support band "to be announced".  Turned out to be The Animals, reformed only that year.  The concert was recorded, released and they disbanded again. 
    Did Eric Burdon take part ?
    Yep