Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Support band stole the show

Comments

• Options
    Genesis supporting Lindisfarne at the Lewisham Odeon in 1972. I wasn’t really aware of them before this. Genesis had their Foxtrot album out at the time and if I remember they played through the whole album and with Peter Gabriel dressing up at one time with the fox head and red dress as included in he album cover. Was so different from anything I had watched live before this. Much preferred them when Gabriel was in the line up.
    They didn't play Supper's Ready that night - too long for a support set. They didn't outdo Lindisfarne, they were just very different.

I think it's the only gig I've been to when the support bands (Rab Noakes as well) came on with the main act for the encore, when they performed the Battle Of New Orleans. The Lewisham show. the last on the tour, also had an extra encore; the played Lindisfarne's Clear White Light, again with all acts participating.

I'd seen the show a few weeks earlier at the London Coliseum and that was the start of my love of Genesis. I bought Foxtrot the next day and saw them many times after that, mostly with Peter Gabriel.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I saw Bowie at Wembley on the Glass Spider tour. The support, Big Country, a band I have very little time for,  impressed me more. 
  • Options
    Around 1976, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were better entertainment than Nils Lofgren, even with his weird on stage trampoline. Guitars and trampolining just never quite caught on eh Nils? :#

• Options
    Stereophonics supporting Manic Street Preachers before Word Gets Around came out. I have no recollection of the Manics that night but remember Phonics very well. Couldn’t wait to get my hands on their first record. 
  • Options
    Saw Kings of the Sun, a band I’d never heard of, totally blow Kiss off the stage in Bradford in ‘87/88 and it happened again when Tesla blew me away when they supported Def Leppard in Sheffield around the same time.
  • Options
    Lyceum 1980, went to see Slade for an Xmas gig which was a lot of fun. 

U2 were supporting and all I knew about them was that they were an Irish band. They were terrific playing songs that appeared on the Boy album. 

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Stereophonics supporting Manic Street Preachers before Word Gets Around came out. I have no recollection of the Manics that night but remember Phonics very well. Couldn’t wait to get my hands on their first record. 
    Remember them opening the second stage at V97 (maybe V98) and it was deep into the day before we saw anyone better
  • Options
    Pet Shop Boys supported Take That at Wembley a few years back. Thoroughly enjoyable 
  • Options
    Sepultura at the Marquee supporting Sodom. Slightly unfair, as there was already a buzz about them, and Sodom were a shite band anyway - but my God it was embarrassing watching them shuffle around onstage after the boys from Brazil.

Deftones now are an amazing live band - one of the best - but back when I saw them at the Astoria in the late nineties on the Around the Fur tour, Will Haven absolutely annihilated them 
  • Options
    Neil Young had that collaboration with Pearl Jam and came out to Prague on the tour. Support band remained "undisclosed", and the low key way the Levellers sauntered on suggested they were a last minute call. Big mistake by Neil's gang. The Levellers were at the peak of their career and already very popular in Prague. Neil was grumpy throughout, seemed to almost pick a fight with one of the Pearl Jam guys, and made a dodgy comment about Budweiser. Embarrassing.

I saw The Levellers at Le Mans about 15 years ago. Never really knew much about them but they were excellent. My Dad really enjoyed them too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Secret Affair were pretty good when they supported From The Jam (Ian Page has still got it...voice wise at least).
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Not quite sure about stealing the show, but totally winning over a difficult audience: Gino Washington supporting The Fall.

I've been to see Geno Washington twice and can't remember a thing about either gig. 1st time was at the Rock Garden in Covent Garden and I fell asleep. The second was at Blackheath about 12 years ago. Was pretty pissed by the time my mate turned up with some grass he'd got off a bloke at work. Hadn't smoked for years and it blew my head off. Bumped into @charltondan dad at the gig, god knows what he must have thought of us, we were incoherent.
  • Options
    Whoever it was supporting Bon Jovi when I see em at Wembley, can't remember who they were, but Paul Shilling and Zodiac woulda been better than Bon Jovi that day
  • Options
    Had a free concert with nandos a few years ago and the headline act was Rizzle Kicks, they had done a remix of you need me I don't need you by Ed Sheeran and he ended up joining them on stage and done a couple of songs. Wasn't exactly a support act but he blew everyone else away that day
  • Options
    The Truth in 1984. Supported The Kinks at Hammersmith Palais. By 1984 the Kinks were past their best & the "tour" was mainly to promote their new single "Come dancing"

Love Dennis Greaves. His Blues Jam every last Sunday at The Pelton Arms is a great night.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Neil Young had that collaboration with Pearl Jam and came out to Prague on the tour. Support band remained "undisclosed", and the low key way the Levellers sauntered on suggested they were a last minute call. Big mistake by Neil's gang. The Levellers were at the peak of their career and already very popular in Prague. Neil was grumpy throughout, seemed to almost pick a fight with one of the Pearl Jam guys, and made a dodgy comment about Budweiser. Embarrassing.

I saw The Levellers at Le Mans about 15 years ago. Never really knew much about them but they were excellent. My Dad really enjoyed them too.
    The Levellers are a superb live band.
  • Options
    The Truth in 1984. Supported The Kinks at Hammersmith Palais. By 1984 the Kinks were past their best & the "tour" was mainly to promote their new single "Come dancing"

Love Dennis Greaves. His Blues Jam every last Sunday at The Pelton Arms is a great night.

I must get to one of these one day, the show he did with The Truth there was great.

Looking forward to seeing him with 9BZ next Saturday.

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Thunder supporting Whitesnake.  Wembley Arena 2013
    Thunder supporting Mott the Hoople at the 02 in 2014
    Yep. Was at that one too 

If anyone is interested, my old band The Wait are playing a gig at the 100 Club this Saturday in memory of our drummer who sadly passed away last year. We have Harry of Thunder playing drums for us and all profits go to Cancer Research. So far I think ticket sales have raised about £1000. Rumour has it that Luke Morley will be getting up with support band The Rant. The bass player of the Rant is my brother and he was in the original line up of Thunder, just before they became Thunder. I'm hoping they won't blow us off stage. A word of warning, we don't sound like Thunder at all, but it should be a great night.

And with regards to bands blowing the headline act off stage, I saw Van Halen supporting Black Sabbath at Lewisham Odeon around about 1978. It was one of Van Halen's first gigs in the UK and they murdered Black Sabbath

• Options

He was in 9 Below Zero wasn't he?...now there a bloody good band.
  • Options

He was in 9 Below Zero wasn't he?...now there a bloody good band.

Yes mate, as I said above, am going to see them next Saturday at the Mick Jagger Centre
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back in 91 Nine Below Zero blew away the Allman Brothers at the Hammersmith Odeon
  • Options
    Bandylegs supporting Black Sabbath circa 1975 
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Deftones now are an amazing live band - one of the best - but back when I saw them at the Astoria in the late nineties on the Around the Fur tour, Will Haven absolutely annihilated them 
    What a show though! I went to both nights at the Astoria on that tour. 

I know what you mean about Will Haven, they had a fierce intensity about them when they played.
    'El Diablo' is a beautiful nightmare of an album. I loved the tracks they played from their first EP that night too. Glad to get that CD on the night.  (Their latest album is really good too)

Deftones played 4 Astoria gigs in relatively quick succession (Oct '97, Jan 98 & the 2 in March '98). The first being pre-'Around The Fur'. It was so exciting to hear tracks like 'Lotion', 'Be Quiet & Drive..', 'My Own Summer..' & 'Head Up' before the album came out. Really ramped up my excitement for when it did get released. 

(Funny though, I'd only got tickets for the above show because there were rumours that Orange 9mm were going to support them. I'd gotten into 'Adrenaline' in the month or so before the gig, having not liked too much I'd heard when played to me. I'm a massive fan to this day!)
  • Options
    Hammersmith earlier this year. Midge Ure and Electronica supported The Human League.

Normally only a few would watch a support band, this time it was virtually full to capacity!  A shame they only played 40 minutes.

Then on came Susan Ann Sulley........
  • Options
    Saw the Undertones supporting the Rezillos at the Marquee - think it was one of their first London gigs and they were brilliant. £2 to get in.
  • Options
    2006, Milton Keynes Bowl. Basement Jaxx supporting Robbie Williams. They were fantastic. He was vanilla.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I was at Weeley Festival and everyone blew Marc Bolan's T Rex off stage.
    Which was a shame because he was great. Just not for there.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Can't believe there are so many Thunder fans on here, normally when I mention them to people they say WHO?
    One of my favourite bands.  Incredibly underrated 
    Saw them at Donnington in 92, never saw them live before that and I was hooked. The British Bon Jovi, far less famous and less commercial cheese. Of all the old rock bands still kicking around they, in Danny, have the singer who still can do it live.
  • Options
    Nirvana. 3rd on the bill to L7 and Godflesh back in October 1990.

They came on blew the audience away, smashed the stage up and walked off.

As they left 2/3 of the crowd did as well.

They were on a different planet that night.
  • Options
    I tell you the house band in the Mill tonight would struggle to best a fart.