Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett: Derby County stars charged with drink-driving

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if it has been posted on here but Derby have sacked Keogh for gross misconduct. That is proper grim, he maybe their captain and as a senior pro should set an example but they have only done it to save paying him as he is unlikely to play again.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Not sure if it has been posted on here but Derby have sacked Keogh for gross misconduct. That is proper grim, he maybe their captain and as a senior pro should set an example but they have only done it to save paying him as he is unlikely to play again.
    Can you blame them?
  • Options
    Apparently Derby have terminated his contract. Can see this thread reappearing in the new year when it’s played out in the courts for unfair dismal. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Can you blame them?
    Double standards when they've not issued similar action against Lawrence / Bennett

Had they given the same punishment to all three then no I wouldnt blame them

They've basically sent a message saying its okay to drink drive if your young and talent, dont even be a passenger if your at the tail end of your career
    Yes, I agree all three should have gone.
  • Options
    Apparently Derby have terminated his contract. Can see this thread reappearing in the new year when it’s played out in the courts for unfair dismal. 
    Will be an interesting case as cant see Derby doing it on the spur of the moment
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Can you blame them?
    Double standards when they've not issued similar action against Lawrence / Bennett

Had they given the same punishment to all three then no I wouldnt blame them

They've basically sent a message saying its okay to drink drive if your young and talent, dont even be a passenger if your at the tail end of your career
    This.
  • Options
    Something’s not right here.

Keogh is sacked and the other two get fined six weeks wages. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Derby showing not just double standard but triple & quadruple !!

2 players charged  & sentenced for drunk driving get off Scott free from the club.....but their captain  who was injured in the crash us sacked. If I was Keogh I''d now be suing the player for injury compensation etc etc.

Just shows what club Derby are.  Just remind me how they got round fpp rules.....selling their ground to themselves wasnt it...?

So glad we beat them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The plot thickens. 
  • Options
    Macronate said:

I wonder if this is what Keogh will base his appeal on

Derby have effectively let the instigators off whilst punishing someone who in a way just happened to be there

Would be like me killing someone in a traffic accident yet my Wife gets the sentence because she was a passenger
  • Options
    Mind you Keogh's defending has been criminal for some time. 
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Derby have effectively let the instigators off whilst punishing someone who in a way just happened to be there

Would be like me killing someone in a traffic accident yet my Wife gets the sentence because she was a passenger
    It would be like if Tom Lockyer crashed a car when pissed, Charlton fining him 6 weeks wages as a punishment but then sacking Lewis Page who was in the back seat
  • Options
    Macronate said:

It would be like if Tom Lockyer crashed a car when pissed, Charlton fining him 6 weeks wages as a punishment but then sacking Lewis Page who was in the back seat
    Lewis Page isn’t club captain. Derby will argue that Keogh was held to a higher standard of responsibility (which was probably reflected in his remuneration) than the other players. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Macronate said:

Lewis Page isn’t club captain. Derby will argue that Keogh was held to a higher standard of responsibility (which was probably reflected in his remuneration) than the other players. 
    All 3 of them are professional athletes representing a club that like us probably wants a good community reputation. Footballers really do need to be squeaky clean these days and they would have known that.

The other 2 are also adults that are capable of making their own decisions. They chose to be complete arseholes 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Macronate said:

Sounds fair to me:-) 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    It would be interesting to know, in a team-bonding, presumably compulsory night out. whether Derby were paying for the drinks. I reckon they will get slaughtered in court. Deservedly so. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It would be interesting to know, in a team-bonding, presumably compulsory night out. whether Derby were paying for the drinks. I reckon they will get slaughtered in court. Deservedly so. 
    “Compulsory night our”?!
  • Options
    They carried on drinking after the event. The club offered to get cabs for everyone there when the club do finished, but they stayed out drinking 
  • Options
    Macronate said:

So he was driving an ambulance!
  • Options
    We ordered him out for a drink and bought him drinks all night. We insisted that all players came and we even sent cars so they had no excuse.

He got drunk so we sacked him your honour.

Why didn’t the management insist that he and the others went home when everyone else did?

They were all too pissed sir.
  • Options
    QED. The managers had a greater responsibility than a member of staff, captain or not. The sackings (if any, and I think not), start at the top and work there way down IMO.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Macronate said:

Is there any case law to confirm this. I can see many a lawyer licking their lips at the thought of challenging this if this is the basis of the dismissal
  • Options

Unless i am mistaken Derby offered to pay for taxis to and from the event so a good lawyer could easily argue this away 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    QED. The managers had a greater responsibility than a member of staff, captain or not. The sackings (if any, and I think not), start at the top and work there way down IMO.

Following this logic no company would ever have a night out let alone a Christmas celebration. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Redrobo said:

Following this logic no company would ever have a night out let alone a Christmas celebration. 
    We get an email from the company telling us basically to behave and them trying to wash their hands if anything untoward happens.
  • Options
    If we strip this back a bit, he wasnt driving, the other two divs were yet they are somehow uninjured and not punished to the same degree. That sums football up, Keogh is now an old man in footballing terms so he becomes more expendable. The other two are decent and young and one cost a fortune so are given another chance 

Keogh is an utter fucking pleb no doubt about it by getting in the car knowing how pissed, not just over the limit the driver was is beyond stupid but he was also drunk so I suppose I can understand if not forgive the lack of rational thinking 

I just don't see how a club, employer whatever can take that line with him but not the two who nearly killed people including themselves