Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett: Derby County stars charged with drink-driving

Comments

• edited October 2019
    It never ceases to amaze me how willing clubs are to sell their morals to chase success. 
  • Where we any different when Bowyer and the other lad, Dean something had a positive drug test?

Bowyer was kept and the other guy released.
  • iaitch said:
    Where we any different when Bowyer and the other lad, Dean something had a positive drug test?

To be fair Bowyer's actions were stupid when he took drugs

Dont recall him then driving and crashing a vehicle though which is the difference in this case as Lawrence / Bennett could easily have killed someone!!
  • I was referring more to the punishment rather than the crime.

One gets kept on as he may be a better prospect for the club to earn money on, turned out Bowyer was the most expensive teenager at the time of his transfer and the other is let go. 
  • iaitch said:
    Where we any different when Bowyer and the other lad, Dean something had a positive drug test?

No comparison at all. 
  • Very surprised Wales called up Lawrence, surely they're not so desperate for players that they couldn't have dropped him for these fixtures
  • Isn't it?

Fiiish says 'it never ceases to amaze me how willing clubs are to sell their morals to chase success'. 

Charlton didn't sack Bowyer because he was a better prospect than the other player. So we just overlook his discretion.
  • Very surprised Wales called up Lawrence, surely they're not so desperate for players that they couldn't have dropped him for these fixtures
    I'd say they probably are desperate

Lose against Slovakia and Croatia means they're six points (minimum) behind second spot with two games play

Even if all Groups finished how they are now; Wales would still get into the Play-Offs but again, no guarantee
  • iaitch said:

this .. when it comes to selection/retention in football/sport in general .. talent outweighs criminality every day off the week
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:
    Isn't it?

Fiiish says 'it never ceases to amaze me how willing clubs are to sell their morals to chase success'. 

Charlton didn't sack Bowyer because he was a better prospect than the other player. So we just overlook his discretion.
    Don't think we sacked Dean Chandler  

Both players were banned for a few months in 1994 for failing the drugs test.

Chandler wasn't released until the end of the 1996/7 season when he joined Lincoln.

Chandler was still at Charlton AFTER we had sold Bowyer in the summer of 1996 IIRC
  • iaitch said:
    Isn't it?

Chandler wasn't released until the end of the 1996/7 season when he joined Lincoln.

Chandler was still at Charlton AFTER we had sold Bowyer in the summer of 1996 IIRC
    Wasnt there a third lad after Bowyer and Chandler who got kicked out?
  • edited October 2019
    iaitch said:
    Isn't it?

Stuart ? .. sacked by Curbs ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Stuart
  • iaitch said:
    Isn't it?

Rings a bell but can't remember his name.  Don't think he'd played any first team games.
  • Was he called Sloan?
  • Derby are damned if they do and damned if they don't here.  Morally, you'd be sending all of them a p45 and telling them to never set foot in the club again if football were like normal employment, but football is completely distorted from that.  Derby have spent a lot of money in recent years, the likes of Lawrence is to some extent, unable to be punished.  Fine him, and an internal disciplinary is about the size of the of what will happen.  He's a decent player who had they sacked, will just go somewhere else and have been a waste of money.  

• iaitch said:
    Isn't it?

Rings a bell but can't remember his name.  Don't think he'd played any first team games.
    Jay Notley?
  • cabbles said:
    Derby are damned if they do and damned if they don't here.  Morally, you'd be sending all of them a p45 and telling them to never set foot in the club again if football were like normal employment, but football is completely distorted from that.  Derby have spent a lot of money in recent years, the likes of Lawrence is to some extent, unable to be punished.  Fine him, and an internal disciplinary is about the size of the of what will happen.  He's a decent player who had they sacked, will just go somewhere else and have been a waste of money.  

No need to sack him. Just dont play him & make him train with the U23's.  Let him see out his contract that way.  He might well be in prison in 6 months time anyway. Or are you saying he is beyond reproach & can literally do what he likes ??  I dont think they can fine him more than 2(4?) weeks wages anyway. Would be a drop in the ocean to him. 
  • iaitch said:
    Isn't it?

Jay Notley?
    Yes, @ricky_otto that's who I was thinking of.

Stuart was already in the first team.
  • iaitch said:
    Was he called Sloan?
    This article mentions Sloan

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-test-reveals-charlton-youths-drug-cocktail-1354363.html

Certainly Notley was a worse case than Bowyer (whatever happened to him?) and Chandler as it involved a performance enhancing drug.
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:
    Isn't it?

Dont think Chandler was sacked - If I recall correctly he played his only game for us away at Reading after the drugs thing, at which point he was released....
  • iaitch said:
    Isn't it?

Dont think Chandler was sacked - If I recall correctly he played his only game for us away at Reading after the drugs thing, at which point he was released....
    He scored in that game as well.
  • iaitch said:
    Isn't it?

He scored in that game as well.

you're right, header at the home end....
  • cabbles said:
    Derby are damned if they do and damned if they don't here.  Morally, you'd be sending all of them a p45 and telling them to never set foot in the club again if football were like normal employment, but football is completely distorted from that.  Derby have spent a lot of money in recent years, the likes of Lawrence is to some extent, unable to be punished.  Fine him, and an internal disciplinary is about the size of the of what will happen.  He's a decent player who had they sacked, will just go somewhere else and have been a waste of money.  

No need to sack him. Just dont play him & make him train with the U23's.  Let him see out his contract that way.  He might well be in prison in 6 months time anyway. Or are you saying he is beyond reproach & can literally do what he likes ??  I dont think they can fine him more than 2(4?) weeks wages anyway. Would be a drop in the ocean to him. 
    Not sure what length of contract he’s on and financially they lose out if he sees out his time in the u23s etc, as he cost them a decent fee and whatever else in wages.  Would happily see him waste away in the u23s at the very least and definitely not saying he is beyond reproach, just highlighting how messed up football is that you pretty much only see players get let go if they either rape someone (Ched Evans - although proven innocent), or sexually assault a minor (Adam Johnson).  I think back to all the other examples of footballers breaking the law (to the best of my knowledge) and it seems you can pretty much get away with anything but a serious crime.  I could be wrong and there may be examples out there, just seems like one rule in relation to their employment, and another for the rest of us.  
  • Anyone know of work colleagues that have been sacked for drink driving ?
  • Former work colleague. Yep.....
  • Good , I never heard of anyone getting done for drink driving and tinned .

• T_C_E said:
    Former work colleague. Yep.....
    Was you not a pilot in your previous job though
  • Good , I never heard of anyone getting done for drink driving and tinned .

Where I work it's one of the easiest ways to get binned of it's a company vehicle. I know people who have been felt for drink driving but managed to keep their jobs but its had serious impacts on them in terms of getting lifts, public transport at ridiculous times and sleeping at work