Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett: Derby County stars charged with drink-driving

14567810»

Comments

• se9addick said:
    I still can't get over Richard Keogh being sacked by the club, while the 2 drunk drivers are just fined. 
    It was because Keogh was injured for the season and his contract was over at the end of the season anyway.

Derby probably thought why bother paying him for months when he couldnt play if they had a valid reason to sack him.

The other 2 were young enough and still had time on there contract to carry on playing and sell in the future.

Can see the thinking behind it, but I agree the wrong decision was made
    Morally wrong though, and I'm positive the employment tribunal will have something to say about it too, as it surely has to be counted as discrimination
    I think Derby’s justification that, as captain, Keogh accepted being held to a higher standard. God knows if that will work, doubt that “captain” has any real legal validity. 
    Especially as it didn’t break the law by drink driving and was a passenger in one of cars.
  • edited May 2020
    It's all supposition .. for all we know Keogh might have been egging the boys on to drink up and then have a car race/chase  .. he certainly looks and acts daft enough to do such  thing .. I doubt he'd'a been sacked before the owners took good legal advice
  • If Keogh was 24 and had 4 years left on his deal, he'd never have been sacked.

But at 34 this summer, a serious long term injury and he may not even play again. Goodbye.
  • A (presumably) sober Bennet was doing well for Millwall during his loan spell .. Rowett had him playing out a bit wider rather than down the middle .. I'm surprised as playing for Derby he always looked fecking useless, possibly perhaps because he was always brahms and lizst
    Just like how he drives...