Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton are lucky to have an owner like Duchatelet

Comments

• Options
    I think we all knew Bows wasn't the Messiah, and he will make the odd mistake including this gaff, probs best to stay out of fan politics as well McDonalds, and nightclubs in Leeds. We could be a whisker away from a Bolton or Bury situation if you know who decides to bail, and indeed we have fairly serious problems as it is only mitigated by our fantastic manager and his team.

My view is he is a very talented former player, and now coach, and I'm glad we've got him and will tell him (the last bit, perhaps not the above) if I ever meet him.
  • Options
    there has been a change in the owners actions. He still needs to go but when you compare how Bowyer has been allowed to do things his own way its not comparable to the interference other managers have had. Bowyer im sure was asked a question and answered it based on the experiences he has had rather then what previous managers have.

I don't think this is mind games from Bowyer I don't think he is that sort of person but he is the sort of person who will give an honest opinion regardless of what we all might think
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I was raging when we sold Djiksteel. It turns out Bowyer wanted this and it helped fund the decent squad he has put together. I will still protest against the owner when required to, but Duchatelet did behave better in the last window than I expected him to. I hate the bloke and think long term he is a danger to the club, but in his own way he did back Bowyer. Maybe the way Bowyer is playing the manager is helping that. I think Bowyer is somebody who finds a way, and whatever that way is, he will take it. 

I also think, undeservedly, that it is in Roland's interests to have the success we are having on the pitch, and if he gets that, he may try to keep Bowyer which is what I dearly want to happen. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I was raging when we sold Djiksteel. It turns out Bowyer wanted this and it helped fund the decent squad he has put together. I will still protest against the owner when required to, but Duchatelet did behave better in the last window than I expected him to. I hate the bloke and think long term he is a danger to the club, but in his own way he did back Bowyer. Maybe the way Bowyer is playing the manager is helping that. I think Bowyer is somebody who finds a way, and whatever that way is, he will take it. 

I also think, undeservedly, that it is in Roland's interests to have the success we are having on the pitch, and if he gets that, he may try to keep Bowyer which is what I dearly want to happen. 
    There's only one way I want to see Duchatelet behaving when it comes to windows.  That's jumping out of one. 
    Roland out!

(Of the window)
  • Options
    Sounds like a precursor to taking the Huddersfield job ;)
    I heard Harris is a front runner.
  • Options
    there has been a change in the owners actions. He still needs to go but when you compare how Bowyer has been allowed to do things his own way its not comparable to the interference other managers have had. Bowyer im sure was asked a question and answered it based on the experiences he has had rather then what previous managers have.

I don't think this is mind games from Bowyer I don't think he is that sort of person but he is the sort of person who will give an honest opinion regardless of what we all might think
    The Belgian can smell BIG dough, he's not going anywhere.

I think Bowyer 'gets' Charlton but will get an offer he cannot refuse if we maintain a top 10 position.  A big if though.
  • Options
    Bowyer is a football professional.

He will do the best he can with what he has. He will be ruthless when it suits (Dijksteel to get the dosh he was hoping to get from Aribo) and sycophantic when it suits (praising RD).

Sadly he will also be mercenary when it suits as football is what it is. Let's hope that is a long time coming.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lee Bowyer himself has become a very interesting personality in the game of football. I don't know about anybody else, but I find it genuinely hard to reconcile the current Bow with the player whose off field antics, even by the low standards of footballers, were pretty piss poor. His calm, measured press conferences and interviews, the way he has conducted himself from day one, barely putting a foot wrong, is admirable in itself, but when you think where he came from.. I am not being funny here (somebody will be) but I reckon that a couple of years around the French carp ponds has transformed the guy.

Especially during the nonsense about his contract renewal I started to form the impression that Bow has found a way to connect with Duchatelet, possibly more than 99% of normal human beings. I was particularly struck by the way he dealt with the first contract offer, he managed to put on an air of genuine mild puzzlement mixed with amusement at how bizarre it was, without sounding in any way offended, when it sounds like 99% of managers would have been offended. 

Long and short of it, I reckon this statement is the result of the instinctive feel he has for how to deal with Duchatelet. It may seem clumsy to us, perhaps a bit too sycophantic, but if it is the price you pay for wringing the budget out of him to build a competitive squad, I'll gladly pay that price.
    I still think the budget is within the club’s income (if you include the incoming fees). I don’t doubt Bowyer has spent it well, but to suggest he’s wrung it out of RD is probably a stretch too far. 
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer himself has become a very interesting personality in the game of football. I don't know about anybody else, but I find it genuinely hard to reconcile the current Bow with the player whose off field antics, even by the low standards of footballers, were pretty piss poor. His calm, measured press conferences and interviews, the way he has conducted himself from day one, barely putting a foot wrong, is admirable in itself, but when you think where he came from.. I am not being funny here (somebody will be) but I reckon that a couple of years around the French carp ponds has transformed the guy.

Especially during the nonsense about his contract renewal I started to form the impression that Bow has found a way to connect with Duchatelet, possibly more than 99% of normal human beings. I was particularly struck by the way he dealt with the first contract offer, he managed to put on an air of genuine mild puzzlement mixed with amusement at how bizarre it was, without sounding in any way offended, when it sounds like 99% of managers would have been offended. 

Long and short of it, I reckon this statement is the result of the instinctive feel he has for how to deal with Duchatelet. It may seem clumsy to us, perhaps a bit too sycophantic, but if it is the price you pay for wringing the budget out of him to build a competitive squad, I'll gladly pay that price.
    Has Bowyer got any money out of him though? I actually don't blame Roland for not splashing the cash. It's not sustainable and it doesn't make good business sense at all. But Bowyer has spent the Dijksteel and maybe Aribo money. With the Lookman sell on and the increased revenue, I highly doubt Roland is losing any money this year. 

Bowyer probably is stroking his ego as his way of dealing with Roland. I have no issues with Bowyer saying "it is what it is" and "it's out of his control" but he doesn't need to praise him. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    If he openly criticised Roland, what would it achieve?
    There’s a huge difference between criticising and not blowing smoke up his arse. 
  • Options
    Bowyers playing the game.  Don't have a problem with that
  • Options

Has Bowyer got any money out of him though? I actually don't blame Roland for not splashing the cash. It's not sustainable and it doesn't make good business sense at all. But Bowyer has spent the Dijksteel and maybe Aribo money. With the Lookman sell on and the increased revenue, I highly doubt Roland is losing any money this year. 

Bowyer probably is stroking his ego as his way of dealing with Roland. I have no issues with Bowyer saying "it is what it is" and "it's out of his control" but he doesn't need to praise him. 
    If he needs to praise him to get what he needs, then I see no problem, if massaging RDs very fragile ego leads to one extra player then well done bows, keep it up.

We all know RD is a **** so why does it matter what Bowyer says?
    Agreed. Can you imagine Roland last year allowing Bowyer to sign the likes of Oztumer and an extra RB like Matthews? 

Whatever the reason, this will be the first season ever under Roland where we effectively have a full squad with 2 players for every position, so something has changed
  • Options

If he needs to praise him to get what he needs, then I see no problem, if massaging RDs very fragile ego leads to one extra player then well done bows, keep it up.

We all know RD is a **** so why does it matter what Bowyer says?
    Agreed. Can you imagine Roland last year allowing Bowyer to sign the likes of Oztumer and an extra RB like Matthews? 

Whatever the reason, this will be the first season ever under Roland where we effectively have a full squad with 2 players for every position, so something has changed
    Perhaps he's changed his mind about selling and is now going to show us oiks of South East London that he was right all the time and us vinegar pissers can do one.
  • Options

I still think the budget is within the club’s income (if you include the incoming fees). I don’t doubt Bowyer has spent it well, but to suggest he’s wrung it out of RD is probably a stretch too far. 
    I couldn’t see the likes of Peeters and Luzon be allowed to spend the Dijksteel money.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I couldn’t see the likes of Peeters and Luzon be allowed to spend the Dijksteel money.
    They were the managers when we bought Igor, BFG, Kashi, Sarr etc.  The full second season we spent a fortune, almost certainly the second most we have ever spent in this divison, but boy did we spend it badly!

I don't think the amount of money we spent was the issue. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

They were the managers when we bought Igor, BFG, Kashi, Sarr etc.  The full second season we spent a fortune, almost certainly the second most we have ever spent in this divison, but boy did we spend it badly!

That's a good point to consider, but of course @Scoham point still stands in that it was essentially Meire who spent that money. At the time RD was operating the continental system, Luzon and Peeters were just coaches. I don't know how much input the coaches had on those purchases as individual players but I think we have established that Meire "negotiated" fees and wages. 

That again is what I believe Bow has achieved. @Airman Brown may well turn out to be right that we are still bottom or near bottom in terms of salary and amortized fee budget, but I reckon Bow has at least been able to agree with RD that he is given a budget and then he and Gallen are responsible for how it is deployed. He might even have a performance bonus based around this. Which should start to be paid even if we finish one place above the relegation zone!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Agree they/KM spent more in total and that the amount was never an issue.

The difference is they were never able to get those last few signings to finish the squad. I don’t believe they’d have been able to add to their budget by selling players, that all went on covering costs.
  • Options
    I had no idea that so many people on here had managerial experience of professional football clubs and were in a position to advise/demand of Bowyer how he should conduct himself in interviews, and what sort of relationship he should have with the owner.
    If such people didn't exist, one could only imagine the grave ramifications for Bowyer and the club itself...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

But they were the ones backed? Bowyers record signing as a manager is Macauley Bonne.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

That's a good point to consider, but of course @Scoham point still stands in that it was essentially Meire who spent that money. At the time RD was operating the continental system, Luzon and Peeters were just coaches. I don't know how much input the coaches had on those purchases as individual players but I think we have established that Meire "negotiated" fees and wages. 

That again is what I believe Bow has achieved. @Airman Brown may well turn out to be right that we are still bottom or near bottom in terms of salary and amortized fee budget, but I reckon Bow has at least been able to agree with RD that he is given a budget and then he and Gallen are responsible for how it is deployed. He might even have a performance bonus based around this. Which should start to be paid even if we finish one place above the relegation zone!
    I am aware of your first point as I said they were the manager when we, not they were the managers that bought. 

I think the second point has been the case since Slade won the argument to sign Foley and Crofts.  Didn't Robinson sell Fox to buy Page and JFC? 

Bowyer has one massive advantage in that ever player bar Sarr and Solly have either been signed by him or had a new contract under him.  It's not only a benifit in terms of keeping the wage bill down but also they all know the manager wants them, rates them and trusts them. Seems a long time since a Charlton manager could say that. 

• Options
    Scoham said:

But they were the ones backed? Bowyers record signing as a manager is Macauley Bonne.
    In terms of a few individual fees they were backed more, but their squads were unbalanced and youth players forced to play due to a lack of depth, whether they were good enough or not.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Duchatelet is a prick.

I love what Bowyer is doing on the pitch but he should keep his fucking gob shut about what fans should think of the owner.
    This 100%. Also I think Bowyer would prefer to have kept the team together & build on that rather than starting from scratch every season. 
    This 0 per cent. Anyone swearing at King Bowyer needs their head examined. Hé was comparing us to Bury and Bolton, and I agréé with him.
  • Options

Debt 60m and counting to Roland,Charlton are one step away from being the new Bolton.

When the sun shines most people are happy and forget what the owner has done to us ,winter is not far away and Roland is no better now than when he first purchased the club.

As for Bowyer have nothing against him what he has done for our club and will Always be afan of him.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Debt 60m and counting to Roland,Charlton are one step away from being the new Bolton.

When the sun shines most people are happy and forget what the owner has done to us ,winter is not far away and Roland is no better now than when he first purchased the club.

As for Bowyer have nothing against him what he has done for our club and will Always be afan of him.

One step away from being the new Bolton? All the debt is owed to Roland so unless he sells the club cheap and his debt kept on the books and able to demand repayment on it (which the price he wants suggests not) I'm not sure how we can be one step away from being the new Bolton who simply ran out of money? Unless I'm missing something?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

In terms of a few individual fees they were backed more, but their squads were unbalanced and youth players forced to play due to a lack of depth, whether they were good enough or not.
    True but if they wanted to spend 2mil on individuals and not leave enough to complete the squad maybe that shows their failings (I’m not saying Roland isn’t to blame generally). 

I disagree that Bowyer is the only one who would have been able to spend that money when history says otherwise.