Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ameobi Challenge. Yellow Or Red

13»

Comments

• A player attempts an over head kick in the box and kicks the ball first (like Field did with his tackle getting to the ball first.) but a defender get kicked in the face as he arrives a split second later.

Should that be a sending off for the forward or a yellow card ? I agree both are yellow cards and a penalty should have been given in Sam Field's case. 

The free kick was given for a Gallagher foul seconds later than Sam's lunge. 
    Totally different game when watching on TV with close ups. 
  • edited August 2019
    Was Field fouled in the box first?

Watching the video clip again ....... right at the beginning, there's a Forest player who makes a half-hearted challenge on Field from behind - and looks like he's clipped Field's right ankle, causing Field to lose some balance (freeze Field's body posture at that moment, it looks like he's about to fall).

Field sort of manages to just about stay on his feet and keep going, but nevertheless not fully balanced - and plays the ball an instant before Amoebi arrives late but very quickly from his side.

It would be interesting to view the incident from another angle.

• Field won the ball cleanly his follow through although dangerous was a consequence of winning the ball, its ugly, its unfortunate but in my eyes there’s nothing in it my eyes the day we stop going for those balls is the day we pack and go home.

• edited August 2019
    I think Ameobis was a robust challenge like the one done on Williams , take the ball and player , ref saw it and gave a yellow, he didn’t even give a free kick for that potential leg breaker/ penalty ...
    we got away with that 

I think a free kick was given, wasn’t it?
    Yes, it was deemed just outside the box. I'm in the Covered End so cannot say conclusively but my initial impression was just outside the box.
  • Red for me, reckless out of control, and could have caused a serious injury.
    Not sure why Taylor gets booked for standing up to the guy, I guess for his reaction and reputation, but he didn't actually do anything, I think it was made worse by a Forest player holding him back.

I can't understand how between the ref and the assistant they didn't deem it a red card.
  • Ameobi gets a red then the 2nd incident never occurs!!
    Reckon field may get a retrospective ban for that challenge.
    Luckily we have a plethora of talent in that area plus Kayal to come in when he is fit

• Selective freeze frames going on here..... exactly as I thought. Field slides in and gets a toe on the ball. Hits it against their players left leg going in, which deflects the ball away. Field catches him with the follow through.

right decision
     It's not even a tackle as Amoebi clearly never has possession of the ball.

Damo's post clearly shows that Field is in possession and that Amoebi is approaching AFTER Field has already played the ball.

The contact is unfortunate but unavoidable.
  • Leaving aside Ameobi's presence on the field in terms of being the recipient, I think both tackles were reds, and Nottingham Forest should have had a penalty.
    I doubt that thoughtful fans of either side would argue that in the end the result was fair enough though.
  • Easy,both were reds,some you get,some you don't,evens itself out eventually 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ameobi's was a clear red based on that footage. Field's wasn't even a foul. And I'm usually able to admit when our lads deserve punishment
  • edited August 2019
    If a player A clears the ball and player B getting nowhere near the ball impedes A on the follow through, injuring him, player B gets booked or sees red. If player B gets injured in the same circumstances, why is player A suddenly culpable?
  • edited August 2019
    Ameobis on Oshilaja was 100% a red card. If you can't see that then you don't understand football I'm afraid. 

Fields probably a red too but the ref had to let it go cause he didn't send off Ameobi and even then it was nowhere near as bad, Ameobi took Oshi out, Field went for the ball 
  • edited August 2019
    Ameobis on Oshilaja was 100% a red card. If you can't see that then you don't understand football I'm afraid. 

Fields probably a red too but the ref had to let it go cause he didn't send off Ameobi and even then it was nowhere near as bad, Ameobi took Oshi out, Field went for the ball 
    Field also got the ball, he's also gone in with one foot so a proper challenge rather than it being reckless / out of control

The only thing against him are his raised studs

But agreed, he didnt get a booking because the ref hadnt sent off Ameobi, reckon had Ameobi seen red then Field would have seen yellow
  • edited August 2019
    I've gotta say watching this again and again, it's a perfectly timed tackle to get the ball away from Ameobi, who was very unfortunate to get caught. It's a clean strike of the ball of which he was 'in control' of, which means Field's leg can only be extended. I certainly saw no malice or intent there. I wouldn't say it was reckless either.

I'm sure I'd say the opposite, were it against us.
    I can see how it could be given as a red... but I also see a strong argument against a red. Like what rule for handing a red to Field would you state? 

• Unsporting behaviour (this includes foul play, simulation, and denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity - foul; if the purpose is to win the ball)
    • Dissent by word or action
    • Persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
    • Delaying the restart of play
    • Failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick, throw-in or free kick
    • Entering or re-entering the field of play without the referee's permission
    • Deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee's permission
    • Serious foul play
    • Violent conduct
    • Denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity (handball)
    • Denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity (foul; if no chance of winning the ball)
    • Spitting or biting
    • Using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
    • Receiving a second caution in the same match
  • edited August 2019
    Only one it could be classed under is serious foul play because he's caught Ameobi with his studs

Trouble is we saw with Joe Gomez last season when he broke his leg against Burnley that a red card wont be dished out simply because the challenge looks bad or because of the damage it causes

There will be accidents
  • Thank you for the footage of the Oshilaja challenge. That is one of the most blatant red cards you will see. Shameful of the officials to get that so wrong. Whether Fields was a red or not shouldn’t have mattered as Ameobi shouldn’t have been on the pitch.
  • Ameobis on Oshilaja was 100% a red card. If you can't see that then you don't understand football I'm afraid. 

Field also got the ball, he's also gone in with one foot so a proper challenge rather than it being reckless / out of control

The only thing against him are his raised studs

But agreed, he didnt get a booking because the ref hadnt sent off Ameobi, reckon had Ameobi seen red then Field would have seen yellow
    I am just trying to be neutral about it, Fields challenge is less than Forest have made out, no malice compared to Ameobis 
  • Fields was not even a tackle but a clearance. Their player comes in from the side and gets caught. If studs were showing in a tackle then red, but it’s not.

Fields back foot is clearly on the ground when he plays the ball so not jumping in either. I think a red would have been harsh.

No question that the assault was a straight red!
  • I have changed my mind. Ameobi is 200% a red card. I will stay with that decision. I did not know that at the time at the game that Fields caught him. Have only seen it on Quest later. Murray and Olly thought Fields was 100% red. We have the benefit of slow mo and gifs and clips AFTER the game. The referee doesn't have that tool. Forget Ameobi;s challenge and just concentrate on Fields. If he was any good, on 1st viewing without replays and on instinct I am sure he would have given a red and a penalty.  Luckily he was shit.  Now with the benefit of replays and gifs and being a CAFC fan I would have given it a yellow and penalty. I did consider that when he got caught he landed outside the area so would it have been a free kick. However, he was caught on the edge of the box. Penalty. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Nope, don't agree Rudders. 

The key fact that we see, it was not a tackle by Fields ..... we see from the above freeze clip, he was in possession and has clearly played the ball BEFORE Amoebi has even arrived on the scene.

Amoebi is the one who has arrived late - too late to get the ball.

Fields had already played the ball;
    it was only the momentum of both players afterwards that caused the situation.

The freeze frame shows it was not a foul. And therefore it wasn't a penalty.

• edited August 2019
    Rudders22 said:
    I have changed my mind. Ameobi is 200% a red card. I will stay with that decision. I did not know that at the time at the game that Fields caught him. Have only seen it on Quest later. Murray and Olly thought Fields was 100% red. We have the benefit of slow mo and gifs and clips AFTER the game. The referee doesn't have that tool. Forget Ameobi;s challenge and just concentrate on Fields. If he was any good, on 1st viewing without replays and on instinct I am sure he would have given a red and a penalty. 
    The challenge occurred on the line, is that in or out of the box?

Personally not a foul. A decent ref would see that Field's clears the ball and was in control and Ameobi steps into his path - No foul. Probably would have stopped the game either way as it looked nasty. Wonder what @PeterGage would say