Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ameobi Challenge. Yellow Or Red

Comments

• Commentary at the time were shocked the ref had even given Ameobi a yellow. They kept saying it was a good challenge and you can’t help the follow through. They did admit they’d got it wrong and congratulated the ref when they finally showed the replay though. 
  • Ameobi tackle was yellow, we saw it very clearly. Was a tough tackle but never red. Field’s was red.
  • edited August 2019
    Not seen Quest so only seen the Field tackle, should have been a red a and a pen. The Ameobi tackle, with a view from the lower north looked like a red too but will need to see a replay. 
  • Ameobi challange red, but then so was the Field challange and a possible penalty. Possibly field got away with it, because the officials realised they had got it wrong with the Ameobi challange. Or just consistant.
  • Just seen the Field clip,that was nasty,dont want that sort of thing at Charlton,hope Bowyer has a word.Ameobi foul right in front of me,went for the ball but was totally reckless and under todays laws should have been red.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Field wouldn't have been able to foul Ameobi had he already gone off.
    Nor would they have scored as Adomah came on for Ameobi
  • Both he and Field should have got red cards. 
  • Field clearly gets the ball, it's just the follow through and its unfortunate in my view. I wouldn't be telling players to not make a challenge where you are likely to get to the ball... Thought their challenge was high, got player before ball as well. 
  • I think Ameobis was a robust challenge like the one done on Williams , take the ball and player , ref saw it and gave a yellow, he didn’t even give a free kick for that potential leg breaker/ penalty ...
    we got away with that 

I think a free kick was given, wasn’t it?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Redrobo said:
    Field's was worse/more obvious. How the ref didn't give that I do not know. Looked stonewall.

Ameobi was one of those orange cards, looked worse than it probably was due to the speed he flew in. 
    It was also worse as he knew he was carrying an injury.
    This. Sitting in the East we got a good look at it. Ameobi knew Oshi had just injured that same ankle & you could tell he was going explicitly for it. That was what got Taylor so riled up. Just looking at the way he went on for the tackle was not normal & was a red for INTENT all day long.

As previous posters have said, Field would not have injured Ameobi if he had been sent off minutes earlier. Karma's a bitch. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Field's was worse/more obvious. How the ref didn't give that I do not know. Looked stonewall.

Ameobi was one of those orange cards, looked worse than it probably was due to the speed he flew in. 
    It was also worse as he knew he was carrying an injury.
    This. Sitting in the East we got a good look at it. Ameobi knew Oshi had just injured that same ankle & you could tell he was going explicitly for it. That was what got Taylor so riled up. Just looking at the way he went on for the tackle was not normal & was a red for INTENT all day long.

As previous posters have said, Field would not have injured Ameobi if he had been sent off minutes earlier. Karma's a bitch. 
    Ameobi came flying in and was out of control, definitely a red. At the time I was surprised the ref gave nothing for the Field tackle, it certainly looked a foul
  • I'm not convinced the Field one was a red anywhere near. It looks bad when he makes contact but he arrives at the ball so long before Ameobi is on the scene it's more unfortunate than anything else. You could argue a yellow for it being a bit reckless on a loose ball. Ameobi's on the other hand was a deliberate slide to hurt while Deji had possession. Maybe he didn't catch enough of Deji to get the red but the two are worlds apart in terms of challenges
  • Yellow, Lyle Taylor overreacted to try and get him sent off.
  • Both yellows for me.  Game has gone soft if every challenge like that is a red.
  • edited August 2019
    Was Ameobis tackle shin high? No
    Was he out of control? Yes
    Did he mean to hurt him? Yes IMO

Red for me

Was field tackle shin High? Yes
    Was he out of control? Tough one as I think he got a touch on ball first and Ameobi ran onto his outstretched foot
    Did he mean to hurt him? No way

Yellow for me but would understand if he was sent of after VAR

• don't know how anyone can watch that Field challenge and say it wasn't a red.
  • Getting the ball doesn't matter if you then try and snap the players leg afterwards. 

'getting the ball' does not mean as much as you think it does. 
  • Both were reds. It doesn't matter if you get the ball if you go in dangerously. Reckless is a yellow, out of control and dangerous is a red.
  • don't know how anyone can watch that Field challenge and say it wasn't a red.
    It wasn't a red.

And the referee agrees with me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yellow, Field was a red
  • Anyway - we can all agree or disagree, but the fact is, neither were given as reds and that is how it will stay.
  • Lyle also got a yellow for no more than  a few words. Arms by his sides. Poor ref.

No mate, he definitely raised his arms,  and I don't blame him it was a nasty challenge and Ameobi should have gone.
  • On Sky Sports News only the tackle by Ameobi was deemed worthy of being shown

That was a definite red in my opinion.

Not seen the other challenge
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Field wouldn't have been able to foul Ameobi had he already gone off.
    And if my aunt had bollocks she'd be my uncle.

This is one of those hypotheticals that, along with "if Leko scored then X" or "if Grabban scored then Y", you can't take into account or give credence to as an argument when analysing the merit of an incident in a vacuum.

As it stands, Ameobi should have been sent off. Field I think was really, really unfortunate in that it became such a potentially dangerous piece of play that it merited a red as well. Getting the ball first doesn't mean you have the right to lunge recklessly. I think there was some accident involved in the incident, but it's dangerous regardless.
  • Getting the ball doesn't matter if you then try and snap the players leg afterwards. 

'getting the ball' does not mean as much as you think it does. 
    Was Field 'trying' to snap his leg? 
  • The Field challenge was competitive and fair.

Ameobi should have been given a straight red and a long ban for his reckless assault.
  • I think Ameobis was a robust challenge like the one done on Williams , take the ball and player , ref saw it and gave a yellow, he didn’t even give a free kick for that potential leg breaker/ penalty ...
    we got away with that 

I think a free kick was given, wasn’t it?
    Not for the Field challenge , there was a little nibble on someone else a few yards and outside box and a couple of seconds later that Forest got a free kick for 
  • both deserved red, but watching on TV it took replays to see how bad the fouls were. I think the Ameobi foul was more 'deliberate' than Field's foul where the follow through caught Ameobi very nastily .. however following Ameobi's foul, it could not have happened to a more deserving recipient ..