Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Checking ID at The Valley

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Play the system is fine, to fiddle the system will see You come unstuck
  • Options
    Too many tea leaves in SE London
  • Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    I buy a student ticket and have a valid student card.

The issue is I had to go through  right load of faff to send them a photo of my student card and get it linked to my account to even allow me to buy the student tickets on the website. If I buy for a friend either they have to buy separately (so the club gets the booking fee twice) or they have to get an adult  ticket coz the website wint let me buy 2 student tickets. 

I don't tend to carry my student card round with me as i thought I'd already jumped through their hoops. 
    Student friend of mine going today, first ever Charlton match, wasn't able buy a student-priced ticket online. No prompts on the site about how to buy a student-priced ticket. So he gave up and paid £27 instead of the advertised £18. He is a prime candidate to become a supporter for life but given the abysmal first interaction with the club that possibility is on the back foot before he's even seen a ball kicked.
    The ticket system has all the price options shown, so puzzled why he wasn't able to buy a student ticket.

And that's from personal experience, a couple of years ago I bought student tickets (legitimately) when I went back to do a Master's as a geriatric student. My id was never checked, but as I had my Uni card, there wouldn't have been a problem. Student tickets at The Valley are very good value
  • Options

The issue is I had to go through  right load of faff to send them a photo of my student card and get it linked to my account to even allow me to buy the student tickets on the website. If I buy for a friend either they have to buy separately (so the club gets the booking fee twice) or they have to get an adult  ticket coz the website wint let me buy 2 student tickets. 

I don't tend to carry my student card round with me as i thought I'd already jumped through their hoops. 
    Student friend of mine going today, first ever Charlton match, wasn't able buy a student-priced ticket online. No prompts on the site about how to buy a student-priced ticket. So he gave up and paid £27 instead of the advertised £18. He is a prime candidate to become a supporter for life but given the abysmal first interaction with the club that possibility is on the back foot before he's even seen a ball kicked.
    The ticket system has all the price options shown, so puzzled why he wasn't able to buy a student ticket.

And that's from personal experience, a couple of years ago I bought student tickets (legitimately) when I went back to do a Master's as a geriatric student. My id was never checked, but as I had my Uni card, there wouldn't have been a problem. Student tickets at The Valley are very good value
    I think they changed the student system, I was able to buy them up until Christmasish last year.
    Whereupon it disappeared, I queried to ask and was told I had to send proof of student enrollment to the club so they could activate the ability to buy student tickets on my account. All a bit of a hassle. 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

I think they changed the student system, I was able to buy them up until Christmasish last year.
    Whereupon it disappeared, I queried to ask and was told I had to send proof of student enrollment to the club so they could activate the ability to buy student tickets on my account. All a bit of a hassle. 
    I guess the previous "honesty box" system was heavily abused so they went to the other extreme.
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d60091519eda/advice-for-fans-purchasing-concession-tickets-to-games-at-the-valley?utm_campaign=349788_Copy of Pre-Match Brentford v2 23.08.2019 17:03:01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Charlton Athletic Football Club Ltd&dm_i=4W9V,7HWC,1C9RZ3,RNF5,1

Supporters purchasing concession tickets should be aware that ID checks will be in place for those who may appear close to, or outside, the relevant age groups. 

Appropriate identification includes a driving license, passport or any other photographic ID that shows date of birth. The club will also accept a copy/photograph of these documents provided the date of birth is clearly legible.

At Wednesday’s game, against Nottingham Forest, the club carried out checks in the Covered End and had to confiscate 37 concession tickets, a large proportion of which were adults who had purchased U11 tickets.

The club will continue to take steps to make fans aware of the heightened concession controls that they will face upon entering the stadium. These include adding a note on all confirmation emails, updating the ticketing terms and conditions, making it clear on all physical tickets and in articles on the club website. 

Season ticket holders are also reminded to bring along appropriate identification alongside their season ticket if challenged. Any fan found to be using another individuals season ticket without informing the ticket office prior to any game will also have their ticket confiscated from them. If any season ticket holder wishes to assign their ticket to another individual, they will need to contact our ticket office with the name and age of the individual the wish to transfer the ticket to.

If you have any questions about the controls or wish to know what qualifies as ID, please contact our ticket office by emailing tickets@cafc.co.uk or calling on 03330 14 44 44.

I think the club will find that you cannot change the terms and conditions of a sale unilaterally after a sale has taken place, I.e. season tickets have been sold on the existing Ts and Cs and inventing new ones now has no effect on those sold. Just a guess.
    I'm hardly a club apologist, but if you buy a concession ticket anywhere - whether football, theatre, cinema, etc. - that you're not entitled to, it's your risk if you find the ticket worthless when you try to get in.

Proof of age requirement for season tickets was in the Ts & Cs when I was a holder, and I've not bought one for at least 3 years. Let's be real, the only point at which the club can enforce proof of age is at the point of use - a 40 year old can happily buy a drink in a pub, but risks the drink being taken away if he then gives it to his 15 year old. 

Let's put it this way - do we honestly think a court would decide that the club was in breach of its agreed conditions of sale for checking that the grey haired, pot-bellied, balding gentlemen really was under 11? 

Bottom line, people do it because they've been able to get away with it - enforcing it has always and always will be at the club's discretion.  Pick your battles, this one doesn't have legs.
    That’s not my point. Obviously the club is entitled to enforce age and other concession restrictions. What it is not entitled to do - and has implied it intends to do - is retrospectively change its terms and conditions. So for example where they seem to have failed to update the age requirement to the current year they are stuck with the terms on which they entered into the contract and cannot legally enforce any new version they adopt after the point of sale.

That's true, maybe I've read it differently but it seems the update is to clarify the checks rather than introduce something new. If it doesn't reflect a loss to the ST holder's entitlement it won't affect the contract materially. 

I must admit though that there is a world of difference between someone using an u11 season ticket week in week out, and lending it to a mate as a one off for a midweek game that's too late for the kid. You should be able to upgrade on the day - I doubt the club suffers any significant loss if they don't though. In fact they are likely to cost themselves additional sales of someone coming on a freebie and getting interested enough to spend money on the next home game. £10 'lost' on the upgrade, versus the revenue opportunity lost, plus of course the goodwill lost by challenging someone - seems a no brainer to me, but such is the way of the club's outlook these days. 

• Options
    seth plum said:
    If an under 11 has an adult ticket at the turnstile, and is checked, what happens?
    Does the steward give the child money?
    It’s a good point as I have given adult tickets to kids before, if a mate has been on holiday I have taken my nephew etc. Will these be treated in the same way - I.e. confiscated. Seems daft if so. These people would not be coming regardless, so the club will lose add on sales and future supporters.
  • Options
    In the absence of a CEO the poor system is presumably down to Cojones the Sandwich Man.
    The word out there is that he bullies staff, some to the point where hearings have to happen, we have evidence that his actions threaten and oppress fans.
    I understand he has had a personal electric car charger installed at the Valley so he can drive his dick replacement huge club car to and from Winchmore Hill.
    This person has a presence at our club, I won't say he works for Charlton because there is no evidence I can find that he contributes anything. I understand he is also responsible for the non development of Sparrows Lane and the Lookman Trench.
    Can anybody at all evidence one positive thing Cojones has contributed?
  • Options
    I’m positive he had something to do my signed piece of paper. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    In the absence of a CEO the poor system is presumably down to Cojones the Sandwich Man.
    The word out there is that he bullies staff, some to the point where hearings have to happen, we have evidence that his actions threaten and oppress fans.
    I understand he has had a personal electric car charger installed at the Valley so he can drive his dick replacement huge club car to and from Winchmore Hill.
    This person has a presence at our club, I won't say he works for Charlton because there is no evidence I can find that he contributes anything. I understand he is also responsible for the non development of Sparrows Lane and the Lookman Trench.
    He used a recruitment company to fill a vacancy. He has written a testimonial for their website. If his command of the English language is matched by his ability as a COO, then god help us all:-

"I engaged Maxwell Stephens via a very amiable search negotiation and after visiting the stadium they got right to work. They produced a good selection of qualified candidates who held the required technical ability and attitude to leading team, providing the reassuring position of selecting a candidate who had the best fir for our existing team. This was a very well managed process producing excellent results.

We are pleased with the progression of our new team member and found what can be sometimes a very time consuming process to be well managed and efficient, with Maxwell Stephens being very conscious of our time as a client".

• Options
    'Best fir for our existing team'. Do we have a set of trees now?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    He used a recruitment company to fill a vacancy. He has written a testimonial for their website. If his command of the English language is matched by his ability as a COO, then god help us all:-

"I engaged Maxwell Stephens via a very amiable search negotiation and after visiting the stadium they got right to work. They produced a good selection of qualified candidates who held the required technical ability and attitude to leading team, providing the reassuring position of selecting a candidate who had the best fir for our existing team. This was a very well managed process producing excellent results.

We are pleased with the progression of our new team member and found what can be sometimes a very time consuming process to be well managed and efficient, with Maxwell Stephens being very conscious of our time as a client".

Seriously?
    Was this  written by Tony Keohane Chief Operations Officer at Charlton Athletic Football Club?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    iaitch said:
    Heard something about having a spruce up  around the stadium during the summer.
  • Options
    He has ordered some new training cones.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Oh no the tree puns have started!!!!

• Options
    Who could forget the trench at Sparrows lane?
    Although his efforts weren’t wasted as the trench went on to become part of the high speed rail network linking Sparrows lane to St Pancras. Meaning Naby Sarr can have breakfast at his flat in Paris before starting work at 10.00. 😉

• Options
    iaitch said:
    iaitch said:

Well we did play Forest the other night.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    iaitch said:

Ha Ha, I have just twigged that one. :)
  • Options
    muppetman said:
    iaitch said:
    iaitch said:

with detective skills like that, you should be in special branch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    muppetman said:
    iaitch said:
    iaitch said:

That pun was oak kay.
  • Options
    muppetman said:
    iaitch said:
    iaitch said:

All these tree puns are sap’ping the energy out of me
  • Options
    I guess today he May have Sloed down and be lying on a Beech with a Pear of Willowy Ash blonds!
  • Options
    Alder puns are very good.
  • Options

Bought an u-18 ticket 8am Saturday morning received this timely email at midnight .

Fair play for the email the timing could be better .

Dear Supporter,

Thank you very much for purchasing a ticket for one our upcoming games at The Valley. We have noticed that as part of your transaction, you have purchased a ticket at a concession price and as such, we thought we would make you aware that ID checks will be in place for those who may appear close to, or outside, the relevant age groups. 

We will accept a driving licence, passport or any other photographic ID that shows your date of birth as identification. We will also accept a copy/photograph of these as we appreciate you might not always carry them around with you, provided your date of birth is clearly legible for our stewards to read. If you have purchased a student ticket, please remember to bring a Student ID card with a valid expiry date on.

The club will continue to take steps to make fans aware of the heightened concession controls that they will face upon entering the stadium. These include adding a note on all confirmation emails, updating the ticketing terms and conditions, making it clear on all physical tickets and in articles on the club website. 

For all Under 11 and Under 18 tickets, the onus is on the parent or guardian to make sure that the correct ticket is being used by the appropriate individual. If your child attends the game without an appropriate copy of ID, you risk their ticket being confiscated at the gate. 

Thank you in advance for your understanding, and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our Ticket Office by emailing tickets@cafc.co.uk or calling 03330 14 44 44.

Kind Regards, 

Charlton Athletic Ticket Office

• Options
    Not meaning to be holier than thou on this as I have done loads of stuff by the same logic over the years as I imagine everyone has in various aspects of life. 

We used to bunk in to watch the video on the history of the Thames, down the Thames Barrier visitors center before realising, after 4 / 5 years, that it was free entree
    Ha! 
    Did you know, London used to be called Londinium?
    ...or Woolwichstan used to be known as simply, Woolwich?
    ??
  • Options
    Purchased one adult ticket (for my son) and one U 11 ticket for grandson (who is 10) for the Swansea game. Received the same email message from the club but as my grandson has neither a driving license or a passport I'll just have to remind him to shave that day and wear short trousers and  trust to luck the steward has brought his glasses!