Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Stoke | Sat 10 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Wow. Gallagher. Leko. Jesus. 
    I’m jumpin’ into the pool to celebrate. 
    Bloody hell. Love this team and Bowyer, and practically everyone!
    When's did we get Jesus?
    Last season. Crap on crosses
    @DaveMehmet - brilliant; triple like :smiley:
  • Options
    Has anyone asked Lee Bowyer where he wants his statue built yet?
    He ain’t won nothing yet 😉
  • Options
    Our weak point is now defence. It looks slow and too easily turned. We were lucky today  not to concede more.
    It will be difficult to properly strengthen that area now, sadly.
  • Options
    Great day. Loads of old faces out and many light ales sunk.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Our weak point is now defence. It looks slow and too easily turned. We were lucky today  not to concede more.
    It will be difficult to properly strengthen that area now, sadly.
    We'll improve and Kayal in particular might help protect the defence. Bowyer also said he wants to sign a right back on a free.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    super performance against a side with a lot of recent Prem players, albeit some of them just a little bit over the hill
    Bowyer has developed another side with over my dead body attitude, superb discipline and no little skill .. Taylor's goal .. not many Champ strikers would have scored that .. Aneke was as cool as a cucumber to put us in front and an emphatic Gallagher finish from a well worked corner routine
    Cullen, so pleased to have him back, the little master .. the midfield was a perfect balance with Pratley tidying up and the  other three working their collective socks off to great effect all over the field
    Defence worked well against quite a slick attack, Phillips was himself and Leko ? .. if WBA have any sense, he'll be back in Brum before September.. gives us pace and skill in the 10 role .. now just needs a goal or 10 to complete the portrait of the perfect striker

Good game, we will not lie down for anyone. I am WELL pleased 
  • Options
    Time for me to put a bit of realism into the mix........

Great game & we played well against a top 6 side who have some top players. However, I wouldn't get carried away as we could easily have been 3-1 down at half time & couldn't have complained if we had been. Think we need to clear our lines quicker & soon we will get caught out with all the back passes. Lockyer is most at fault & must had taken lessons from a certain Mr Kashi for all the underhit passes he made.

However, I am being picky. The midfield showed what great players we have, although I'm still a bit unsure of what Gallagher brings to the team & he seemed a bit lost out there at times. Cullen picked up from where he left off at Wembley & Leko confuses defenders as he doesn't know himself what he is going to do next. Williams was my MOTM as he didnt stop running & made the all important 2nd goal with his persistence, having narrowly failed just a minute before with a mazy run & cross.

Scenes in the Covered End after the 3rd goal.....looking from the East it was literally rocking for 5 mins afterwards  !!

Not looking at tables or thinking about ifs & maybes......20th place will do me just fine come May. I predicted 4 points for Aug so we are already in credit.  
    For me Gallacher brought a deft touch, guile, decent engine, awareness and the ability to receive and pass with both feet. And a goal.

I think it was his professional debut? If so, he and we couldn’t have asked for much better.
  • Options
    Just out of interest how similar is Gallagher’s style of play to a certain Scotty Parker in his prime? 
    In his prime  ???
  • Options
    Gallagher. Williams. Cullen trio. Beautiful 

Leko. Blimey that kid is raw and full of pace. Superb player. 

Think I have a man crush on Gallagher after that goal 
  • Options
    Assuming we don’t get Hemed who will we get in to play up front. Can’t go until January without one ?
  • Options
    Assuming we don’t get Hemed who will we get in to play up front. Can’t go until January without one ?
    were you at the game ?

• Options
    Any news on Sam field is he injured?
  • Options
    Can only see this squad putting in better and better performances as players get to grips with the pace of the game in this division and our new loanees impose their quality.  

Stoke set off at 100mph and for first 5 minutes some of our players seemed a bit mesmerised. Under-hit passing was hopefully just not being switched on to the new pace and can be sorted on the training ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    were you at the game ?

Regardless we need a striker in. Lose Taylor for a few games and we’re in bother.
  • Options
    he was at the game, kitted up, and he presented a gift to an Addicks fan who is celebrating his 100th birthday
  • Options
    Couldn’t be there today, cheers all for the updates and sharing your post match thoughts. Great win, cracking start 
    Loads of empty rows of seats in your block.
  • Options
    When Stoke scored we went quiet for about a minute then the covered end started clapping and more of us joined in - that also was brilliant
  • Options
    Not up to speed yet, hasn't had much of a preseason. 
  • Options

Looked like a foul off the ball on Lockyer to set up Stoke's equaliser.

• Options
    were you at the game ?

Regardless we need a striker in. Lose Taylor for a few games and we’re in bother.
    If Hemed doesn't sign then hopefully the leftover budget will be spent on a free agent.

At least with the midfielders we've got there's the option of using Aneke up front and not loaning out Lapslie or Morgan.