Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackburn v Charlton | Sat 03 Aug 2019 | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    mascot88 said:
    That was fantastic.... so easily could have been 3 at the end, Morgan's close control is terrific, Gallagher looks like a top-quality player and this will give the potential loanees really believe it'll be a decent season, also the crowd for next week will get a boost after this ... 

Really good signs... 

Surprised and impressed
    the point about potential loanees could be key. it may be easier to persuade them to come to us now
  • Options
    I am totally eating crow over this result. Did not see a draw coming, much less a win. Congrats to our gutsy team and those who predicted a win. Wow.
  • Options
    Other than the OG, I don’t see much about Phillips. Sounds like he did well, overall?
  • Options
    Other than the OG, I don’t see much about Phillips. Sounds like he did well, overall?
    Didn't have much to do. Some great takes in the air
  • Options
    What a result. Can't even be arsed to critique those who I thought played badly, we've just ground out an away win at a place that won't be easy to come to this season. Just imagine what we could achieve with some investment! 
  • Options
    He was fine just the odd stray kick. Barely tested. 
  • Options
    @cabbles

Great summary. How did we set up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a team , a really gutsy display with only Sarr below par . Think we might have discovered another gem in Gallagher  . The fans were unreal today in steamy conditions.  Bowyer is the man .
  • Options
    See some negative comments about JFC but it was his run into the box that lead to the first goal and his corner for the second. 
    Thought he was blowing out his arse first half but seemed to find some energy from somewhere. Though I was expecting him to be subbed instead of Lapslie. 
  • Options
    @cabbles

For me mate, we went 3 at centre back with Purrington left wb, Dijksteel right wb. In the middle three, Pratley deepest, Lapslie to the right of him and JFC to the left of a narrow 3 in the centre, Williams ahead of them, crossing left to right.  Taylor up top on his own, similar to Williams, working across the pitch left to right.  Changed when Sarr went off as went to more of a back 4.  So more like 4-5-1 
  • Options
    Great win. Impressive OG.
  • Options
    My only slight fear is that due to this performance...
    1. Rat tells Bowyer “See! We don’t need to spend any more money!”
    2. Middlesbrough come back with a £3M bid for Dijksteel 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    @cabbles

For me mate, we went 3 at centre back with Purrington left wb, Dijksteel right wb. In the middle three, Pratley deepest, Lapslie to the right of him and JFC to the left of a narrow 3 in the centre, Williams ahead of them, crossing left to right.  Taylor up top on his own, similar to Williams, working across the pitch left to right.  Changed when Sarr went off as went to more of a back 4.  So more like 4-5-1 
    Interesting. Thanks
  • Options
    Said it on match thread, fuck the doom merchants on here having a dig whenever possible, pisses me off the site is being overrun with wankers lately trying to score points.
    Can't wait for Stoke at home and honestly don't care if we lose. 
    It's Charlton. 
    Lol.

A bit like you just then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    Those doom and gloom merchants on the predictions thread should hang their heads. The consensus seemed to be a 3-0 defeat and a hammering.
    So you didnt think we'd lose then? 

Presumably its beers on you tonight as you celebrate with your winnings from the bookies?
  • Options
    Absolute slapstick for their goal.

Looks like we were deserved winners with the chances we created. Top quality away performance.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Great day and top performance.  Tactically Bowyer smashed it out the park and I think we’re giving Blackburn too much credit using terms like shit housery etc.  We deserved all 3 points.  Blackburn didn’t really test Philips over the 90 minutes and although they had more possession overall, it was largely stretching us by getting the ball wide.  They only got back in the game because of a sloppy bit of play from Sarr leading to the corner.   So many heroes out there today.  Starting with Bowyer, he’d really done his homework and how we set up really stifled them.  His substitutions were spot on, and let’s be honest, the spirit he’s evoked in this squad is something else.  

He said in pre season that he would make sure we’re one of the fittest teams in the division to make sure we can fight and make up for what we lack in squad depth.  Today it showed.  Certain players had to do a lot of running off the ball, in humid conditions.  If you don’t work on fitness, that would’ve showed through.

Pearce and Lockyer brilliant.  Pearce in particular to come back from losing his place in the team, showed warrior spirit, organising that back line and marshalling our defensive play.  Dijksteel was tested but stood tall, as Blackburn did try get the ball down our right hand side.  Purrington for me gets better and better.  He started that move for our goal by showing a will to get forward and got what he deserved when he got on the end of it.  He was very confident on the ball and didn’t forget his role when tracking back.  

Pratley was a calm experienced head when needed.  JFC less so involved and struggled to make his mark in the centre of the pitch, but did get forward well a couple of times in the second half and should’ve buried that chance when released by Morgan in the box.  I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he’s been out of competitive football for over a year.  Lapslie was class.  Exactly the sort of player needed in a game like that.  We would see less of the ball, but he harried, fought and made a downright pest of himself for the Blackburn players when chasing the ball.  He epitomises what Bowyer wants of this team.

Williams was class.  Didn’t see much of the ball because of how we set up, but we got our first real attack through his work down the right, before putting in a superb cross for our opener.  Similarly Taylor.  He would’ve known he’s not seeing much of the ball as a loan forward, but he performed so well for the team today.  He didn’t get frustrated,  didn’t get in any spats and got a fully deserved goal from Pearce’s knock down from the corner.  That’s the sort of chance he has to take as we step up a level and he doesn’t have a partner yet.  

Morgan looked composed when he came on.  Great touch and the ball he played for JFC was very clever.  Just the sort of sub you want when the opposition is chasing the game.  Gallagher composed and from the few touches he had, he looked like he can handle himself.  

Naby was poor.  I love how he resurrected his career here, but we’re not playing the likes of Rochdale and Scunthorpe anymore.  He’s got to realise this is a much quicker and much better level where his dwelling on the ball will get punished.  I think Bowyer was right to bring him off and I’d be surprised if he starts him next week.  Don’t want to dig him out too much, as he’s a popular figure in the club and has talent, just hope he uses today as a lesson and kicks on.  

I’ve seen so many Charlton teams over the years that would’ve gotten rolled over in today’s sort of game.  Bowyer really is delivering something special.  We’ve got a style and a mentality that you see in other teams who used to get stuck in and put us off our game, we did that in spades to Blackburn today.  Yeah, they had a bit more possession, and there were a couple of balls across our box that we scrambled away, but in my own personal opinion we were the worthy victors today and if Blackburn really take an honest appraisal and look in the mirror, they weren’t good enough.  

Final word to the fans.  One of the best away days right up there with what we had in the second half last season.  Cracking day 
    Only met ya once, but love ya, Cabbles!