Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    This cock up is entirely down to the officials. VAR has always been contentious but line decisions should never be wrong. 
    This.

VAR wasn't at fault. The officials were. All of them. Even the onfield ref should ask "is that a goal ?". In rugby I believe the onfield ref says "is there any reason why I can't give the try ?" Make the negative a positive & vice versa. 
  • Options
    This cock up is entirely down to the officials. VAR has always been contentious but line decisions should never be wrong. 
    This.

VAR wasn't at fault. The officials were. All of them. Even the onfield ref should ask "is that a goal ?". In rugby I believe the onfield ref says "is there any reason why I can't give the try ?" Make the negative a positive & vice versa. 
    Lol. So what exactly is "VAR" then?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    No penalty for Brentford? Bloke closes down the keeper, nicks it off his toe, keeper kicks him. No VAR intervention. 

Anyone got a view as to why?
  • Options
    Var is very debatable,but the technology is not at fault,there were probably 10000 70-80 year olds with dodgy eyesight watching the Liverpool game who could see from the start the goal was not off side.How do highly trained officials get it wrong,when they can look at it a dozen times,its pathetic.
  • Options
    If that is the case why couldn't the VAR guy have alerted the ref immediately on the restart of play when it was immediately clear that a free kick had been given for offside rather than the goal- it would have taken seconds to resolve and correct it - they are in constant communication with the ref no? Yes it would have made VAR look a bit bad in the short term, but to just Bury your head in the sand and refuse to immediately correct the error is so much worse

Supposedly, it's in the laws that once the decision is made and match is restarted, they can't go back and correct it. Seems a silly law to implement but I doubt they ever accounted for this level of incompetence.

Because the onfield decision was offside and the VAR "confirmed" it, the ball was already in position for the resulting free kick and they only a couple of seconds window by which time the bloke doing VAR wouldn't have been able to react quickly enough to pull it back.

Overall a 100% complete and utter shambles of communication.

So the goal is effectively confirmed by var but the ref mistakenly restarts the game with a free kick instead of a kick from the centre circle.

Small error by the ref but doesn't affect the result which should be corrected to 2 - 2.

Think that Liverpool should pursue this. Most non football supporters would see it this way.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    If that is the case why couldn't the VAR guy have alerted the ref immediately on the restart of play when it was immediately clear that a free kick had been given for offside rather than the goal- it would have taken seconds to resolve and correct it - they are in constant communication with the ref no? Yes it would have made VAR look a bit bad in the short term, but to just Bury your head in the sand and refuse to immediately correct the error is so much worse

Supposedly, it's in the laws that once the decision is made and match is restarted, they can't go back and correct it. Seems a silly law to implement but I doubt they ever accounted for this level of incompetence.

Because the onfield decision was offside and the VAR "confirmed" it, the ball was already in position for the resulting free kick and they only a couple of seconds window by which time the bloke doing VAR wouldn't have been able to react quickly enough to pull it back.

So the goal is effectively confirmed by var but the ref mistakenly restarts the game with a free kick instead of a kick from the centre circle.

Small error by the ref but doesn't affect the result which should be corrected to 2 - 2.

Think that Liverpool should pursue this. Most non football supporters would see it this way.

Or alternatively f*ck off VAR which has simply not done what it was supposed to do - eradicate errors. There were errors before, there are errors now - the only difference is we now debate shit refs and shit VAR instead of just shit refs, at the same time as having the nonsense spectacle of having to wait minutes until a toenail is deemed ahead of play.
  • Options
    "Since the start of last season, PGMOL has admitted mistakes on 14 occasions.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

One day that kind of decision will cost a club like us promotion.

That's why it is important to have this conversation now.
    We are not having a conversation. You are shouting that VAR would be fantastic if it were implemented properly (even though we have had it for four years and it's still not right). And we are hollering that it will never be any good, because it is still prone to error.

You are not going to change your mind, and neither am I, until it is used for every single decision, as I have explained multiple times.   

A wrongly awarded corner could cost a club like us promotion. No VAR there. Why should one team gain an advantage because the official's cock up came within the remit of VAR, but another be told to suck it up because it didn't?  
    ……or at the other end of the table… a wrongly awarded throw in arguably DID cost us relegation. 

I totally agree with everything you have said here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We are not having a conversation. You are shouting that VAR would be fantastic if it were implemented properly (even though we have had it for four years and it's still not right). And we are hollering that it will never be any good, because it is still prone to error.

You are not going to change your mind, and neither am I, until it is used for every single decision, as I have explained multiple times.   

A wrongly awarded corner could cost a club like us promotion. No VAR there. Why should one team gain an advantage because the official's cock up came within the remit of VAR, but another be told to suck it up because it didn't?  
    ……or at the other end of the table… a wrongly awarded throw in arguably DID cost us relegation. 

That was a shit decision but we got relegated because we weren't good enough over 38 games. Had that happened earlier in the season it would have been lost in the memory, as were the incorrect decisions that went in our favour (don't ask me to name any!).

I appreciate I may be in the minority but I take quite a detached view on the impact of bad decisions. It's football - no-one died...
  • Options

That was a shit decision but we got relegated because we weren't good enough over 38 games. Had that happened earlier in the season it would have been lost in the memory, as were the incorrect decisions that went in our favour (don't ask me to name any!).

I appreciate I may be in the minority but I take quite a detached view on the impact of bad decisions. It's football - no-one died...
    I don’t think you are in the minority. 

The hate VAR with a passion. It adds nothing to the game IMO. 

Get rid of it and sort out the ridiculous laws that have been implemented over the years that make decision making so complex. 
  • Options
    You can argue that had we had VAR in our recent championship year,we would have stayed up,Aneke good goal ruled out,Cullen penalty not given,this and a few others,referees actually apologised to Bowyer for the cock ups.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    You can argue that had we had VAR in our recent championship year,we would have stayed up,Aneke good goal ruled out,Cullen penalty not given,this and a few others,referees actually apologised to Bowyer for the cock ups.
    Was thinking the same myself... But would there have been a few extra decisions against us though - Genuinely don't remember. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Uhhhh? I'm not shouting that VAR would be fantastic in fact I have said the complete opposite consistently on this thread. I think they should get rid.

Edit in fact, I've just had to re read this back again because I'm absolutely baffled that you think my position is literally the opposite of what I think and have made no secret of on here since word go! Bizarre
  • Options

The video assistant referee officials involved in wrongly disallowing a goal for Liverpool at Tottenham have not been selected for this weekend's Premier League games.

Darren England and assistant Dan Cook did not overrule on Saturday when Luis Diaz was wrongly flagged offside.

The on-field referee from that game, Simon Hooper, will be the VAR official for Bournemouth's trip to Everton.

Michael Oliver, who was the fourth official, will feature in two games.

Oliver will be VAR official for Luton's game against Tottenham on Saturday, before taking charge on the field for Arsenal's game against Manchester City on Sunday.

• Options

The video assistant referee officials involved in wrongly disallowing a goal for Liverpool at Tottenham have not been selected for this weekend's Premier League games.

Darren England and assistant Dan Cook did not overrule on Saturday when Luis Diaz was wrongly flagged offside.

The on-field referee from that game, Simon Hooper, will be the VAR official for Bournemouth's trip to Everton.

Michael Oliver, who was the fourth official, will feature in two games.

Oliver will be VAR official for Luton's game against Tottenham on Saturday, before taking charge on the field for Arsenal's game against Manchester City on Sunday.

It's crazy to think that two VAR refs missed that the flag had gone up. Darren England said check over because he could see it was clearly Onside and he thought he was confirming the goal 🤦🏻‍♂️

If the on field ref and the VAR spoke to each other in English not robotic jargon, then similar to the TMO in Rugby  this gigantic cock up couldn't have happened.
  • Options
    What are the Mickey Mousers whining about now?  There'll be a campaign and benefit lined up next.  Fuck em!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    VAR has been a success in goal line technology and is generally accepted as such. After Zidane felled an opponent in a World Cup that was not seen by the on field officials, the referee was told by the fourth official, there was an outcry for a better system. However they have concentrated on hand ball and offside and in some cases disregarded the wrestling in the penalty area and general foul play unless it is to scrutinise whether or not a red card is justified or not.
    There too many instances of personal opinions of VAR officials influencing games but line decisions should never be wrong. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Eeesh... that's brutal listening to - Sounds like they've

(1) Not thought to clarify what they're being asked
    (2) Rushed to get the decision dealt with as quickly as possible

What it does show, is the fact that we should be allowed to listen to this in game, every game - The wrong decision was made, but take that away, and thought it made a lot clearer, especially when they're looking at the Spurs / Liverpool players holding each other as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Sounds like the bloke doing VAR is half asleep and not at all focused on what he’s doing. Just my initial opinion on it..
  • Options
    The VAR Official made a shocking mistake in not conveying the decision in the right way. Matip made a shocking mistake in putting the ball into his own net. If Liverpool lose the title on goal difference then both are culpable for that. The former has already been punished for their mistake. The other probably won't be. It's called human error. 

The process was all wrong and is now being changed. Everyone should really now move on. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I've listened to it and see no problems check complete check complete.
  • Options
    Sounds like me an my mates on Fifa 😂
  • Options
    The released transcript makes no sense at all. No wonder they cocked up. All yeah, right etc etc. Need to use much clearer language so they all get it right.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    at 57 seconds the VAR guy says "check complete, check complete, off."

Is he saying "off" as in mic off or off as in "offside??" No wonder the ref carried on.

instead of chatting like you are playing FIFA with your mates - just say "VAR decision: onside/offside"  and then repeat it so it is clear. It ain't rocket science
  • Options
    The thing they could bring in from Rugby,
    is that they should know what the on field decision is, Hooper should be allowed to say ‘on field decision is offside no goal’ and then it’s clear to Stockley Park what they are trying to change