Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    Just let the ref make a decision and stick to it, makes for a much better free flowing game. It evens out over a season anyway 

TotaIly agree with this. Have VAR in the background and let the ref ask for it, not VAR telling the ref he has missed something

• Options
    VAR should've been a great Innovation:
    In many ways it is but the human element is the weakness. Offside by an armpit or half a toenail is mental and leeway should be given so that is considered in line and onside. Fuck the cigarette paper offside which doesn't give the benefit to the attacking side.
    The major problem is the Cheating sometimes called gamesmanship which makes it nearly impossible for the on field ref to decide.

VAR going no where but don't worry if you are a Charlton fan/critic you will never have to endure it unless it comes to the EFL and that is very unlikely 🧐
  • Options

VAR: Almost two-thirds of supporters oppose system's use in English football, says new survey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65971724
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Let’s go back to the pre-technology days where teams get dumped out of international competitions due to incorrect decisions…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Let’s go back to the pre-technology days where teams get dumped out of international competitions due to incorrect decisions…
    So VAR only gives correct decisions does it? Right-o. 

I think it's time for your meds.

Anyway, aren't we always told by the evangelical VAR brigade that goalline technology and VAR are two different things?

VAT Makes a considerable amount more correct decisions than what we had before VAR.
  • Options
  • Options
    Legitimate Spain goal ruled out by the referee. No VAR available to overturn a poor decision.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Poor decision but from that TV camera, it took me a few attempts to realise what had happened - Wonder what angle the referee had of it.

Can only presume he's seen the Goalkeeper go to throw it, as he's half running away in preparation for them to go on the attack... then sees the Spanish lad, pouncing on the loose ball and slots it away.

He must have presumed that the scorer has kicked it out of his hands. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Video technology improves every sport to get the correct decision:
    Tennis, Rugby, Cricket etc. It becomes part of the Jeopardy as the play back comes on screen.

Don't mix up shit rules with VAR implementation of those shit rules in Football.

In the 2019/20 season VAR got 94% of decisions correct. Of course they have screwed up at times because it called human error in the time frame allowed.
    The same human error which makes Refs and assistance refs make many mistakes when seeing action once from one position with NO VAR to correct the wrong decision.

Stop the clock like in Rugby and get the correct decision.

For financial reasons it won't come to League 1 so this won't affect Charlton any way so the majority can just complain about the low standard of Referee decisions low down in the third tier.
  • Options
    This sort of decision could be avoided by a fifth official watching on tv and quietly telling the ref what happened. Five seconds max. No need for all the dramatic VAR crap.
  • Options
    Don't mix the two, please. 

Fact and opinion are two different things.  
  • Options
    So, Mike Dean admits to cheating to save his friend from "extra grief".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66612570

Refs need to be told in no uncertain terms to just do their job.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    So, Mike Dean admits to cheating to save his friend from "extra grief".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66612570

Refs need to be told in no uncertain terms to just do their job.
    Refs just need to be left to do their job, without the clusterfuck of VAR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor decision but from that TV camera, it took me a few attempts to realise what had happened - Wonder what angle the referee had of it.

Can only presume he's seen the Goalkeeper go to throw it, as he's half running away in preparation for them to go on the attack... then sees the Spanish lad, pouncing on the loose ball and slots it away.

He must have presumed that the scorer has kicked it out of his hands. 
    Bit like when we scored against Millwall. That would have given us a win after all these years but the ref was not looking and assumed the keeper was fouled when I fact he dropped the ball
  • Options
    All you people who doubt the value of VAR. It's tight calls like this that prove the need for it.

• Options
    Anyone who watches cricket or rugby will remember the arguments and complaints about the use of video refs when they were introduced. It took some time to get consistency, in those sports most decisions are now made reasonably speedily, the errors still happen but they are far fewer and there are relatively speaking there are no complaints.

Football needs time to get the people who use the technology to use it properly and achieve consistency etc.

My complaint with VAR is the length of time it takes to make marginal decisions. In the World Cup final (the women's version) VAR took six minutes to decide that there was handball and there was enough of a foul to overturn the on-field decision and re-start the game with a penalty. If it can't make a quick decision quickly then simply stick with the on-field decision, most people understand that marginal decisions are balanced out over time. Football is a game of movement and having players stood around for so long kills its flow. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    FSLN1 said:
    Anyone who watches cricket or rugby will remember the arguments and complaints about the use of video refs when they were introduced. It took some time to get consistency, in those sports most decisions are now made reasonably speedily, the errors still happen but they are far fewer and there are relatively speaking there are no complaints.

Football needs time to get the people who use the technology to use it properly and achieve consistency etc.

My complaint with VAR is the length of time it takes to make marginal decisions. In the World Cup final (the women's version) VAR took six minutes to decide that there was handball and there was enough of a foul to overturn the on-field decision and re-start the game with a penalty. If it can't make a quick decision quickly then simply stick with the on-field decision, most people understand that marginal decisions are balanced out over time. Football is a game of movement and having players stood around for so long kills its flow. 
    I would agree with that. I hate the way a ref is asked to look at something again. I have only seen a ref stick with his decision once it that situation, it puts too much pressure on them to change their decision. If he/she has clearly got it wrong tell them, it isn't a criticism and part of the game and refs should be less defensive and precious. If that isn't clear go with the onfield decision.

The handball rule should be simplified as to be in the view of the ref was it intentional and that can include making yourself bigger, none of this unnatural position crap which is too congusing and open to different interpretations. One thing I have always maintained is that VAR can never make things perfect, the game doesn't allow itself to be perfect. There are decisions that can go one way or the other. Maybe what we should be looking at is the VAR ref overrules a key decision when it is clearly wrong and make that part of the game and take the egos of officials out of it.  
  • Options
    It's already been said but I would take away the asking the ref to view the monitor thing - that doesn't happen in the other sports that technology is used - you don't have the umpire in the cricket come over to a monitor to check a catch - the video official states what happened and instructs the umpire on the decision.

Slow mo replays can make a fairly innocuous challenge look far worse than it actually was in real time for example, and it can do the same with handball decisions as well where the speed and context of it is distorted - if we are going for "clear and obvious errors" as has been stated many times was the reason for VAR, then slow motion replays in my opinion should not be available to VAR officials - give them the replay in real time only (give them as many angles as the cameras have by all means but in real time), you shouldn't need a super slow mo frame-by-frame replay to flag up a "clear and obvious error" EVER.

This may be a little controversial but I would actually include offside decisions in this as well - no slow mos and lines, just real time replays - let the lino do his job like he always has, if one toe or part of a shoulder is over the "line" then it was not a clear and obvious error and the benefit of the doubt should be with the on-field decision unless it can clearly be seen in a real time replay.
  • Options
    The ref should ask for VAR, not Stockley Park telling the ref to have a look. 3 and 4 minutes to check something is not a clear and obvious error
  • Options
    Millwall had a goal overturned by VAR? didn't know they were using it in championship games? 
  • Options
    Absolute howler at City v Fulham game yesterday.
    Its backwards we’re going 🤬
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Millwall had a goal overturned by VAR? didn't know they were using it in championship games? 
    Well, it has its good points then.

Seriously, referees need to get together and ask how certain decisions like the Fulham one and the potential Wolves penalty at Old Trafford are occuring when there is VAR.