Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(non Charlton) 2019 Summer Transfers - Deadline Day from Pg.24

Comments

• Options
    Celtic paid about 2.5m for Van Dijk. He moved to Southhampton for 14m then to Liverpool for 76m 
    I very much doubt Van Dijk has seen 70m in his bank account
    What’s that got to do with anything? 
    Its got to do with what is being said

What has a players bank account got to do with the transfer fee though? 
    The fact that people are staggered at fees  now.
    Agents are making a killing.
    Van Dijk done well as did his agents. But Van Dijk dont have 70m in the bank.
    And if Mings goes for 20m he will probably see about a quarter of that if hes lucky. So agents are taking a lot of money out of the game

• Options
    Celtic paid about 2.5m for Van Dijk. He moved to Southhampton for 14m then to Liverpool for 76m 
    Not sure what that has to do with Mings not being worth 20m+
  • Options
    Not sure what that has to do with Mings not being worth 20m+
    Just saying he could go for for 70m in 2yrs like Van Dijk did. So 20m is not that shocking to me. I dont see why all the shock at Mings price. 
  • Options

And if Mings goes for 20m he will probably see about a quarter of that if hes lucky. So agents are taking a lot of money out of the game

I honestly don’t mean to be rude but I’m not sure you understand transfers. This has nothing to do with agents and it’s about the money in the Prem that average players now go for 20mil. 

The 20mil is the fee between clubs. I don’t doubt Mings is going to get a nice signing on fee but nowhere near 5mil. 
  • Options

I honestly don’t mean to be rude but I’m not sure you understand transfers. This has nothing to do with agents and it’s about the money in the Prem that average players now go for 20mil. 

The 20mil is the fee between clubs. I don’t doubt Mings is going to get a nice signing on fee but nowhere near 5mil. 
    I undertand transfers
  • Options
    You would be surprised at how much an agent makes in deal.
  • Options
    And i dont mean Messi deal, agents are making money at Charlton included
  • Options
    I’m not arguing they don’t. But I really don’t understand why you are bringing agents fees and players bank accounts into a discussion about a players transfer fee.
  • Options
    I’m not arguing they don’t. But I really don’t understand why you are bringing agents fees and players bank accounts into a discussion about a players transfer fee.
    Coz agents have a lot of say. And make money obviously.
    Why is it not something to be mentioned. I am not arguing either mate but trust me you would be shocked how much agents make at little old charlton
  • Options
    I guess it’s relevant because the more that a club spend on agent fees the less they’ll have left to spend elsewhere. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I got lost at the bit about Van Dijk not having the 70 million in his pocket :smiley:
  • Options
    £26 mil for Mings, £15 mil for Matt Targett games gone mad
  • Options
    Ming’s also never made it at Bournemouth following his £7/£9million transfer from Ipswich - albeit the guy had rotten luck with injuries. I think he only ever played about 15 or so games for them.

One decent season at Villa on loan makes the £26 million fee pretty baffling. 

Given the absurdity of the current market, Roland must almost be regretting presiding over our descent into League 1 and then failing to safeguard assets like Karlan Grant and Joe Aribo pending the sale that never was.
  • Options
    Coz agents have a lot of say. And make money obviously.
    Why is it not something to be mentioned. I am not arguing either mate but trust me you would be shocked how much agents make at little old charlton
    To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked at all. And I do completely agree that agents are making a lot of money, the power they have is way too much IMO. 

But in terms of a players fee, like Mings in this case, agents fees are irrelevant in the crazy sums that clubs are now paying for players. When we were in the Prem, Mings would have been 3 mil at most.

Football has gone crazy since then and whilst agents are contributing to the issues within football, it's not a factor here and I still don't understand why you brought up agents fees or how much a player makes from a deal in reply to how much Mings is being valued at. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I guess it’s relevant because the more that a club spend on agent fees the less they’ll have left to spend elsewhere. 
    Agreed, but how does that inflate a players transfer fee?
  • Options
    Not a transfer, but Mitrovic has signed a new contract at Fulham which is a massive boost for them as at Championship level he will be lethal
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Agreed, but how does that inflate a players transfer fee?
    It inflates it to an extent. This is why we have these ‘super agents’ within the game like Mino Raiola and Jorge Mendes. Okay they’re extreme examples but that’s how it works. These agents have their clients, being the players. In terms of a deal, they will know when one of their clients are in demand and another club wants that specific player. So what they do is act like a middle man between the selling and buying club but it is all for their own benefit.

If the buying club wants a player, the agent will say how much they believe he will cost to buy. They go back to the selling club and say a different price. It gets negotiated and because of being the middle man, and they represent the asset as such, the agent gets a cut of the deal. But to ensure the selling club get the money they want for the player, the value increases because the agent will get their fee too.

So of course, the money in the game has gone mental and is the major factor. But agents do you play a part in the inflated prices because they’re in it for their cut too and they know the money is there so demand higher prices, including wages, for their clients which will in turn benefit themselves too.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Neil Maupay is going to Sheffield United for 20 million apparently. 

Brentford are signing Pontus Jansson from Leeds for 5.5 million. Brentfords turn around over the years has been excellent. Always selling their best players on for good value and then snapping up talent on the cheap, if they keep this model up they will have that promotion season eventually 

Brentford are signing Pontus Jansson from Leeds for 5.5 million. Brentfords turn around over the years has been excellent. Always selling their best players on for good value and then snapping up talent on the cheap, if they keep this model up they will have that promotion season eventually 

Surprised at this though he is getting a bit injury prone. Jansson is/was a Leeds fan's favourite and can be a bit of an animal. Brentford will be formidable this coming season, though they will miss Maupay (gone for More Pay ?).
    Maupay is another who likes to put it about (in this context meaning he is a bit of a dirty fecker) .. he reminds me of B'Mouth's Wilson and could be a 'bargain' at a reported £20 Million 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Wasn't that Roland's strategy. Moneyball?

However, the execution of it left a lot to be desired.

The fact that Brentford can outbid us is depressing. I would still maintain that we have more potential as a club.
    Wouldn’t moneyball suggest you have ambition to keep progressing? His aim seemed to be floating around in mid table of the Championship and at least breaking even by selling young players. He thought he’d save costs by using the network and our academy.

Aiming so low in the Championship was always eventually going to end in relegation. The FFP rules changed didn’t help either as other clubs could then have much bigger budgets than us
  • Options

It was reported yesterday that we had agreed a £750k fee with Reading for Jón Dadi Bödvarsson.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

It was reported yesterday that we had agreed a £750k fee with Reading for Jón Dadi Bödvarsson.

Who him?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Who him?

Icelandic winger/striker, formerly of Wolves, now at Reading.

Has to be an improvement on Tom Elliott. Anything would be an improvement on Tom Elliott.

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Who him?

Has to be an improvement on Tom Elliott. Anything would be an improvement on Tom Elliott.

I think you are confusing me with someone who cares. 😐
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Who him?

I’m not sure they are, you asked...
  • Options
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9454566/barcelona-sign-england-louie-barry-psg-transfer/

Another club losing one of their academy stars. This time it's WBA losing England youth striker Louie Barry to Barcelona, getting just £235000 compensation
  • Options
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9454566/barcelona-sign-england-louie-barry-psg-transfer/

Another club losing one of their academy stars. This time it's WBA losing England youth striker Louie Barry to Barcelona, getting just £235000 compensation
    Looking into it, it seems the clubs after him were RB Leipzig, PSG and Barca. Strange that no English sides were interested, unless of course he'd made it clear he wanted to move abroad.

West brom to Barca - what a move. Great experience for him.
  • Options

I think West Brom have had Barcelona over here. Its actually going to be Gareth Barry that turns up to sign for them.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Who him?

Oh, right. It's just that you asked a question so I thought I'd be polite and answer it.

Sorry, tough guy.

And also there’s a clue in the thread title 
  • Options

I think West Brom have had Barcelona over here. Its actually going to be Gareth Barry that turns up to sign for them.
    Am sure Barcelona would be delighted to see Gareth Barry again and will no doubt send a taxi for his own personal use again