Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Didier Drogba stopped a 5 year long civil war in the Ivory Coast by just asking both sides to lay down their arms and organise elections.

• Options
    Alex Ferguson was sacked by Scottish club St. Mirren for swearing at his office secretary, not paying her for six weeks. 

(I imagine her as a Scottish version of Lynn from Alan Partridge).
  • Options
    In 2013 Juan Mata and Fernando Torres were holders of all 4 continental trophies - Champions league, Europa League, World Cup, and Euros.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    52 of the current 91 teams have had their current manager for less than a year.
    Is that for the current season ?
    Yes, seems as though my post got swept along with the current 
  • Options
    In 2013 Juan Mata and Fernando Torres were holders of all 4 continental trophies - Champions league, Europa League, World Cup, and Euros.
    Yet neither have won a league title
  • Options
    Also find it weird that Torres played 30 more games for Chelsea than Liverpool despite being there around the same length of time, 3 and a half years.

Feels odd, I'm sure he was in and out of the Chelsea team whereas he was one of the first names on the teamsheet at Liverpool. 
  • Options
    Didier Drogba stopped a 5 year long civil war in the Ivory Coast by just asking both sides to lay down their arms and organise elections.

There's a COPA 90 special on this. Powerful stuff!
  • Options
    Roy Kean is unbeaten in Manchester derby's yet OGS has never won one as a player or manager. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Courtesy of Opta...

Today is the first GE since 2001 where Chelsea are not top of the league on polling day.
  • Options
    Todays game will be the 4,000 in a row that Manchester United have had an academy player in their team and the run dates back to October 1937
    When will they ever learn, you won’t win anything with kids.
  • Options
    Todays game will be the 4,000 in a row that Manchester United have had an academy player in their team and the run dates back to October 1937
    If that’s true, the 4000 games in a row is impressive, but the surprising bit to me is the idea that they played a game in 1937 without a homegrown player.
    I would’ve thought most players were homegrown back then.
  • Options
    If that’s true, the 4000 games in a row is impressive, but the surprising bit to me is the idea that they played a game in 1937 without a homegrown player.
    Academy, not homegrown.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Academy, not homegrown.
    Ah, ok. Misinterpreted.
    Although now I’m thinking it’s pretty surprising that there were football academies before the war. I can’t imagine many people back then packing their boy off to “football school”.

It’s a pretty good “Surprising but true” on a couple of levels.
  • Options
    Charlton did the double over Millwall the first time we were in the same division as them (and for the record it's not the only time). 
  • Options
    In 1998, Japanese player Masashi Nakayama scored hat tricks in four games in-a-row. He also broke another record by being the first player to score for Japan in a World Cup game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does anyone have an idea at how far back it goes for us?
  • Options
    Does anyone have an idea at how far back it goes for us?
    Not the question you asked as I believe the United stat includes players on the bench but...

Cheers - Id started doing some research myself on it, wasnt including those youth players who came off the bench, nor was I including kids like Aribo / Davison / Hackett-Fairchild
  • Options
    And how many of those leagues did they win?
  • Options
    When new champions are crowned at the end of the season it’ll be the first time in premier league history that Alex Ferguson was won less titles than all other managers together. He‘s been retired 7 years. 13 of the currently 26 premier league years belong to him.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    When new champions are crowned at the end of the season it’ll be the first time in premier league history that Alex Ferguson was won less titles than all other managers together. He‘s been retired 7 years. 13 of the currently 26 premier league years belong to him.

Hasn’t there been 27 premier league seasons already though? 

19/20 is the 28th?

Maths not my strong point, so could be wrong.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Hasn’t there been 27 premier league seasons already though? 

19/20 is the 28th?

Maths not my strong point, so could be wrong.
    First one was 92/93 so this is the 27th.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I have a pathological hatred for any stat that only takes into account “Premier League years”.   
    I do normally, like the hat trick record "that was broken" at the weekend.  He is still 20 odd behind Dixie Dean ffs.