Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Isnt Juventus' ground only 41,500 (staggering for a club of their size) because attendances have been dropping quite a bit in Italian Football over recent years?

i.e. they've deliberately built a smaller stadium so there arent so many empty seats
    I think it was also to maximise revenue from corporate seats, the old Delle Alpi was a bit ramshackle. 
  • Pegguy Arphexad only ever played 39 games despite having a 16 year long career.
    21 for Leicester 
    And managed to pick of 7 winners medals (6 at Liverpool and 1 at Leicester)
  • George Best and Jeff Astle both played for Dunstable Town
  • edited April 2020
    se9addick said:
    Isnt Juventus' ground only 41,500 (staggering for a club of their size) because attendances have been dropping quite a bit in Italian Football over recent years?

i.e. they've deliberately built a smaller stadium so there arent so many empty seats
    I think it was also to maximise revenue from corporate seats, the old Delle Alpi was a bit ramshackle. 
    Plus the fans hated it , so never attended in large numbers. Look at any old footage, it was always deserted. They campaigned for years to get the club to move grounds.

The Stadio Della Alpi has a capacity of 69,000, yet the best average attendance was in their 2nd season there (91/92) when they got just over 51k. By the time it closed it was less than half full. Looking at their attendances over the last 50 years it's hard to argue they ever needed a stadium that big. The new stadium hold just over 41k, which is probably about 10k too small, but will be filled most of the time at least.
  • Addick90 said:
    happyvalley said:
    MrOneLung said:
    St Johns wood
    Yes that's the one.
    One tube station doesn’t contain any of the letters from coronavirus in it
    this took me ages and I bloody go through this station on my way home - Temple
  • MrOneLung said:
    Addick90 said:
    happyvalley said:
    MrOneLung said:
    St Johns wood
    Yes that's the one.
    One tube station doesn’t contain any of the letters from coronavirus in it
    this took me ages and I bloody go through this station on my way home - Temple
    Pre-Lockdown obviously
  • Addick90 said:
    Phil Neville made more premier league appearances than gary Neville 

Behind San Siro and stadio olimpico, the third biggest Stadium in Italy belongs to Bari.

two random unrelated facts which I learned from my quiz tonight 

and Bari have only ever filled the stadium once in their history in 2014 for a Serie B playoff match (having said that 58,000 for a second division game is pretty good).

• In 1993/94 season, AC Milan won Serie A scoring just 36 goals in 34 games. In the same season Udinese and Atalanta were both relegated whilst scoring 35 goals each.
  • ReeCAFC15 said:
    In 1993/94 season, AC Milan won Serie A scoring just 36 goals in 34 games. In the same season Udinese and Atalanta were both relegated whilst scoring 35 goals each.
    If you've got Panucci, Baresi, Costacurta and Maldini in defence, with Desailly in front of them, one goal is normally a 1-0 win.
  • ReeCAFC15 said:
    In 1993/94 season, AC Milan won Serie A scoring just 36 goals in 34 games. In the same season Udinese and Atalanta were both relegated whilst scoring 35 goals each.
    How many did they concede?
  • Sponsored links:

• ReeCAFC15 said:
    I remember seeing that league table before. There were ALOT of draws that season. I do recall watching Football Italia in the 90’s and thinking these teams love a draw.
  • edited April 2020
    iaitch said:
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    How many did they concede?

They only conceded 6 goals away all years, a lot of 0-0s and 1-0 wins away.
  • edited April 2020
    Alan Curbishley still hasn't been "former Charlton manager" as long as he was Charlton manager!

Seems like a life time ago he left. 
  • At the age of 16 Peter Beardsley went to Gillingham for a week's trial and was released from it after three days.
  • FSLN1 said:
    At the age of 16 Peter Beardsley went to Gillingham for a week's trial and was released from it after three days.
    Reminds me of this one. 2 players named Warren have played for Newcastle.

Warren Barton and Warren Beardsley an ugly bastard.
  • Westham v Spurs is the 1st time 2 former Manchester United managers have ever met in the league.   Assuming one doesn't walk today. 
  • The only undefeated side in the 2010 World Cup was New Zealand
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Westham v Spurs is the 1st time 2 former Manchester United managers have ever met in the league.   Assuming one doesn't walk today. 
    Are there rumours that Moyes might be off then?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Westham v Spurs is the 1st time 2 former Manchester United managers have ever met in the league.   Assuming one doesn't walk today. 
    Are there rumours that Moyes might be off then?
    He definitely doesn't smell right.
    All those years under the Misty Mountains living on raw fish with only his precious for company
  • Sponsored links:

• May have done this one way back in the earlier days of this thread … but I find it quite interesting, so what the hell ...

Cambridge United's record home attendance at the Abbey Stadium (current capacity 8,127) was for a friendly.  14,000 against Chelsea in May 1970.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    is this Premier League or in the league ever ?
  • edited June 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I "think" in the league ever.  It helps when 2 of thier managers never managed anyone as "former Manchester United managers"

The 2 I thought might have done were Dave Sexton and Tommy Doc.  But I don't think they ever did. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I "think" in the league ever.  It helps when 2 of thier managers never managed anyone as "former Manchester United managers"

The 2 I thought might have done were Dave Sexton and Tommy Doc.  But I don't think they ever did. 
    Or Tommy Doherty and Big Ron.

Though thinking about it, they might have been more likely to meet before Big Ron was at United rather than after.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Or Tommy Doherty and Big Ron.

Though thinking about it, they might have been more likely to meet before Big Ron was at United rather than after.
    Ron managed against the Doc and Sexton I think, but before Ron was united manager.  Obviously tonight isn't the 1st time Jose has managed against Moyes either. 
  • Robin Van Persie was NOT the defining factor that saw Man Utd take the Premier League back from Man City in 2013. It's talked about that Fergie was so annoyed about losing the title on goal difference in 2012, that he went all out to make sure it didn't happen the following season. Everyone seems to remember it that way, but it didn't happen like that:

In 2012, Man Utd finished on 89 points and scored 89 goals.
    In 2013, Man Utd finished on 89 points and scored 86 goals.
    Their goal difference went from +56 to +43.

Van Persie was their top scorer, I'm not saying his goals didn't heavily contribute to them winning the title. But they did worse than the year before.
    The defining factor that saw them regain the title, was the fact that Man City went from 89 points to 78 points.
  • A West Ham fan told me that Mark Noble is their longest serving player, no surprise there, but he has been since he was 20.
  • A West Ham fan told me that Mark Noble is their longest serving player, no surprise there, but he has been since he was 20.
    Bit longer than that - he was playing for their reserves at 15. 
  • edited June 2020
    A West Ham fan told me that Mark Noble is their longest serving player, no surprise there, but he has been since he was 20.
    Mark Noble has been westham's longest serving player for nearly 15 years.

Edited I miss read the original post, I think @ricky_otto did as well. 
  • edited June 2020
    A Championship club has transferred ownership twice in one season and that could rise to potentially 3-4 times in a single 12 month period. Astoundingly the first 2 transfers (one in full ownership and another in change of shareholders of the holding company) could be void by the EFL and a challenge brought about by some old directors owed monies from a sale many years before.