Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• edited October 2021
    In League 2 only Colchester, who are 19th and bottom placed Scunthorpe have scored less goals than Tranmere this season. Tranmere's  forwards have just one goal between them from 12 games.

But only Forest Green and Harrogate have more points than Tranmere.
  • In League 2 only Colchester, who are 19th and Scunthorpe, who are bottom, have scored less goals than Tranmere this season. Tranmere's  forwards have just one goal between them from 12 games.

But only Forest Green and Harrogate have more points than Tranmere.
    Just looked them up, 13 goals for either side in their 12 games, bags of fun!  
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Don't forget Clough N at Mansfield, he is also having a tough season in L2
  • Sadio Mane is only the third player to reach 100-goals in the Premier League without one being a penalty.

Emile Heskey and Peter Crouch are the others
  • Sadio Mane is only the third player to reach 100-goals in the Premier League without one being a penalty.

When you look at some of the players on the over 100 goals list, there are some glaring omissions of players that you would have thought would be on there, including Cantona and Van Nistelrooy. Then you have players like Salah and Mane on there now, who have had amazing goal scoring seasons over the past few years.

Lesser opposition now? Better opposition in the past? Playing in better teams? Longevity?
  • I wouldn't say better teams is the reason as the 2 examples you mentioned played under Fergie at United.

Salah has played a similar number of games to van Nistelrooy, just has a slightly better record. Mane has been playing in the PL for a long time. Cantona was only here for a few years, he retired really early.
  • edited October 2021
    Ross said:
    Sadio Mane is only the third player to reach 100-goals in the Premier League without one being a penalty.

When you look at some of the players on the over 100 goals list, there are some glaring omissions of players that you would have thought would be on there, including Cantona and Van Nistelrooy. Then you have players like Salah and Mane on there now, who have had amazing goal scoring seasons over the past few years.

Lesser opposition now? Better opposition in the past? Playing in better teams? Longevity?
    Cantona was in England 5 years I think?  4.5 really.

So he'd have needed 20-25 goals a season and he was never that prolific.

Van Nistelrooy I'm definitely more surprised by, taking a look at the stats he got 150 in 5 years at United (and was out injured for about half of the penultimate season) so a good average but spread it across PL, Champions League etc

He’s also the 3rd from Africa to make the 100.

As soon as I heard that I wondered who the other 2 were, got Drogba instantly and then spent 15-20 minutes going through all the old teams in my head. I was sure I’d read a while back that Yakubu and Adebayor were both a couple of goals short.
    Virtually gave up when I remembered Mo Salah. Doh
  • Sponsored links:

• 3 of the players to get 100 Premier League goals have been on Charlton's books.
  • 3 of the players to get 100 Premier League goals have been on Charlton's books.
    Shame only one of them made a significant contribution...

What about Les Ferdinand? 

What about Les Ferdinand? 
    I looked at his stats on the Premier League website

Wasnt sure if he hasnt ever scored using a penalty or whether the website kept the stats simple as they dont go into detail like they do for the other three
  • edited October 2021
    Opta say Mane is the 3rd to get to 100 Premier League goals without a penalty after Les Ferdinand and Emile Heskey.

Looks like Opta missed Crouchy
  • Young Kevin Lisbie, was 43 yesterday.
  • Crouch took the odd penalty didn't he?

Andy Cole didn't take many either but guess he may have had a couple.

I believe Crouch missed the only penalty he took in the Premier League, was against Portsmouth 

I believe Crouch missed the only penalty he took in the Premier League, was against Portsmouth 
    Indeed - he was playing for Liverpool at the time.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/1629/Peter-Crouch/stats
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton still in bottom 4 of division one.
    God help us.
  • The two teams that have the best defensive records in the Championship this season are top and bottom in the league.
  • The only Managers whose teams have conceded five goals in an Everton game in 2021

Have won six Champions Leagues between them.
  • The only team to stop Mohamed Salah from scoring this season had a starting 11 who wore shirts from 1-11. He would have been rubbish in an era before squad numbers.

— Richard Jolly (@RichJolly) October 24, 2021
  • Souness has commented on a Manchester United defeat without laying all the blame on Paul Pogba, despite him being sent off. 

Unprecedented 
  • In yesterday's Orient v Hartlepool game -  the two sides were told to swap ends four minutes into the second half, after referee Alan Young took the players off too early at the end of the first half
  • Since the opening day of the season, Wigan have either played on a Saturday or Tuesday. Their results have been:

Saturday - W W W W W W W W W W 
    Tuesday -  D D D D L L L L L 

Let's hope that sequence doesn't carry on as we are due to play them away on Saturday 12th February