Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    Ok - can someone with more time than me find out most common footballers name. 

I will plump for Paul Williams
    Sure have been four or five over the years. 
    Wikipedia says 5, all within about 10 years of each other weirdly.

I guess first names do have fashionable periods, you see a lot less baby Pauls now!
  • Chelsea have scored 40 goals this season in 20 games. Now we all know that you need at least one prolific striker in order to average two goals a game. In Chelsea's case though, their top scorer only has just 5 goals to his name. That person, Reece James, isn't a striker either. To date, no less than 17 different players have scored for them.

Chelsea have also only conceded 7 goals in those 20 matches. And they've not let in more than one goal in any of them.
  • Chelsea have scored 40 goals this season in 20 games. Now we all know that you need at least one prolific striker in order to average two goals a game. In Chelsea's case though, their top scorer only has just 5 goals to his name. That person, Reece James, isn't a striker either. To date, no less than 17 different players have scored for them.

Chelsea have also only conceded 7 goals in those 20 matches. And they've not let in more than one goal in any of them.
    Id love to know where this version of Tuchal has come from - Was never this good at PSG and Dortmund.

I mean I rated him, but always felt he wasnt much better than the likes of Poch rather than at Pep / Klopp levels
  • Danny Welbeck scored on his PL debut over 13 years ago on 11th November 2008. In his career he has scored just 51 PL goals from 252 appearances with just 25 of those coming in the last 8 seasons. And yet he has 16 England goals to his name from 42 appearances. 

Would I be far off in guesstimating that, taking into account wages and his £18m transfer from United to Arsenal, each one of those PL goals has come at a cost of £1m each?

Conceded just 4 in the league and only 1 from open play. Incredible 
  • Last season only the two top clubs, City and United, scored more goals than Spurs in the PL. This season 2nd bottom Norwich are the only side to have found the net less times than they have.
  • What I wonder a how many players with the same name have played for us.

Matt Smith and Matt Smith as discussed
    Danny Mills and Danny Mills.

Any others?
    for a few months i thought talal el khalaj and talal el karkouri were the same person. I wondered why we had re-signed him and why he was so utterly transformed as a player for a while
  • edited November 2021
    What I wonder a how many players with the same name have played for us.

Any others?
    for a few months i thought talal el khalaj and talal el karkouri were the same person. I wondered why we had re-signed him and why he was so utterly transformed as a player for a while
    The shit one from Southampton was called Tahar El Khalej, not Talal.
    But I know what you mean. I don’t think you were alone in mixing them up.

(Edit: I don’t know if I’m misremembering, but El Khalej played in the 6-1 drubbing by Leeds, right? Was that the only game he played or was he shit in some other games too? I seem to have scrubbed him from memory… 😳)

Any others?
    The shit one from Southampton was called Tahar El Khalej, not Talal.
    But I know what you mean. I don’t think you were alone in mixing them up.

(Edit: I don’t know if I’m misremembering, but El Khalej played in the 6-1 drubbing by Leeds, right? Was that the only game he played or was he shit in some other games too? I seem to have scrubbed him from memory… 😳)
    Apparently he played 3 games, I honest can't remember the other two but he was awful against Leeds. 
  • Two for the price of one:

(1) For Swindon against Hartlepool on Tuesday, Johnny Williams made a run into the six yard box in order to get on the end of a cross
    (2) and scored - with his head!

That was his 3rd goal in his last 7 appearances. For club and country, Williams had only scored 7 times in total, prior to this run, in 247 appearances. Perhaps if he'd been given a bit more opportunity to do (1) for us then we might have seen a bit more of (2). Well maybe not to many headed goals but more goals anyway. Or League 2 might just be his level. We'll never know now.   

• Sponsored links:

Id love to know where this version of Tuchal has come from - Was never this good at PSG and Dortmund.

I mean I rated him, but always felt he wasnt much better than the likes of Poch rather than at Pep / Klopp levels
    Hard to measure his time at Dortmund though because you're always competing with Bayern, he also didn't get on with the CEO and they fell out over transfers a lot of the time. Selling players he wanted to keep, not signing some players he wanted etc.

At PSG i felt he was very harshly treated. In 19-20 he won all 4 domestic trophies and got to the CL final, losing to a brilliant Bayern team. He was sacked despite having a 75% win rate.
  • Two for the price of one:

(1) For Swindon against Hartlepool on Tuesday, Johnny Williams made a run into the six yard box in order to get on the end of a cross

That was his 3rd goal in his last 7 appearances. For club and country, Williams had only scored 7 times in total, prior to this run, in 247 appearances. Perhaps if he'd been given a bit more opportunity to do (1) for us then we might have seen a bit more of (2). Well maybe not to many headed goals but more goals anyway. Or League 2 might just be his level. We'll never know now.   

He had plenty of opportunities to make late runs in the Charlton side. What he lacked was the desire.

Elliot Lee is showing exactly the kind of player we needed Williams to be, and wasn't. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Two for the price of one:

He had plenty of opportunities to make late runs in the Charlton side. What he lacked was the desire.

Elliot Lee is showing exactly the kind of player we needed Williams to be, and wasn't. 
    Until he got injured against Derby he was outstanding at the start of the championship season.  In the following year he started about a dozen games in about 4 different positions.  Hardly plenty.

Anyone it's something that you will never get agreement on either way. 
  • If Italy don't win in the play-offs, their record since winning the World Cup will be Group stage, group stage, did not qualify, did not qualify.
  • Is the other Matt Taylor the left back?  Pompey/Bolton one?
    Yes, I think so.
    Football facts that sound true and are. 
  • If Italy don't win in the play-offs, their record since winning the World Cup will be Group stage, group stage, did not qualify, did not qualify.
    I'd swap that for winning a Euro's though.
    I'd swap that for winning a Euro's though.
    Yep, same.  And winning the World Cup 4 tournaments ago.

Any others?
    David Campbell (s)
  • Well Fulham had John Collins / Collins John 
  • Sponsored links:

• The architect behind The Shard also designed Bari’s ground (built for Italia ‘90)

• Norwich have never won a PL game on a Tuesday - their record is P-14, W-0, D-3, L-11. They won't get too many better chances of doing so than tonight given that they are playing a side in Newcastle who haven't won a game in any competition this season - coincidentally a run of 14 matches too.

A draw would maintain both records. And it wouldn't be the greatest surprise if it was a goalless one at that.
  • Norwich have never won a PL game on a Tuesday - their record is P-14, W-0, D-3, L-11. They won't get too many better chances of doing so than tonight given that they are playing a side in Newcastle who haven't won a game in any competition this season - coincidentally a run of 14 matches too.

A draw would maintain both records. And it wouldn't be the greatest surprise if it was a goalless one at that.
    Based on the two teams' form it wouldn't surprise me if it was a -1 all draw!
  • bobmunro said:
    Norwich have never won a PL game on a Tuesday - their record is P-14, W-0, D-3, L-11. They won't get too many better chances of doing so than tonight given that they are playing a side in Newcastle who haven't won a game in any competition this season - coincidentally a run of 14 matches too.

Norwich will go top of the Premier League for November if they win. 
  • Two players have scored the most goals (93) in the PL after reaching the age of 30. Both of them, Ian Wright and Jamie Vardy, came from non league football. Not a coincidence in my opinion simply because they both love playing the game and probably feel the need to make up for lost time. 
  • edited November 2021
    Two players have scored the most goals (93) in the PL after reaching the age of 30. Both of them, Ian Wright and Jamie Vardy, came from non league football. Not a coincidence in my opinion simply because they both love playing the game and probably feel the need to make up for lost time. 
    Or their joints weren't shagged from being a pro at 16.  The best two teenagers I ever saw (cesc and Rooney) were finished relatively early.  Neither overly relied on pace either. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Norwich have never won a PL game on a Tuesday - their record is P-14, W-0, D-3, L-11. They won't get too many better chances of doing so than tonight given that they are playing a side in Newcastle who haven't won a game in any competition this season - coincidentally a run of 14 matches too.

Norwich will go top of the Premier League for November if they win. 
    Joint managers of the month for two managers who were sacked that month. 
  • Two players have scored the most goals (93) in the PL after reaching the age of 30. Both of them, Ian Wright and Jamie Vardy, came from non league football. Not a coincidence in my opinion simply because they both love playing the game and probably feel the need to make up for lost time. 
    Probably an injury factor too, people like Owen and Rooney were playing high levels of football at 16, 17 whereas Vardy and Wright weren't - I wonder how many times a week say Owen was training and playing at Liverpool, whereas Vardy was still playing part time in Stockbridge Steels youth team at that sort if age.
  • Evening Standard pulling out a random stat tonight. Benteke is third in PL history for most goals scored on a Tuesday (12). Only behind Rooney (13) and Shearer (15).