Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton, Ebbsfleet now Bury (Clubs in trouble thread)

Comments

• Options
    Is the bury takeover by someone fit and proper?
    Depends if the EFL can be bothered to check this time

Club may not have been in this mess had they done that first time as guess the current owner would have been rejected allowing other potential buyers to step in
  • Options
    I find the Mike Ashley scenario a weird one, I mean, what does he get out of it?  He's a Billionaire and I know these ruthless entrepreneurs never rest on their laurels but he doesn't make anything out of the club and he's not really a supporter either.  You wonder why he needs the hassle.  Is it just notoriety? 
  • Options
    I find the Mike Ashley scenario a weird one, I mean, what does he get out of it?  He's a Billionaire and I know these ruthless entrepreneurs never rest on their laurels but he doesn't make anything out of the club and he's not really a supporter either.  You wonder why he needs the hassle.  Is it just notoriety? 
    Money, I assume.
  • Options
    Money, I assume.
    Really?  Any profits go back into the club, he doesn't take a dividend, the asset is worth more than he paid but even if he asset stripped it or pocketed some of the profits it would still be chicken feed to what his empire is worth
  • Options
    Money, I assume.
    Really?  Any profits go back into the club, he doesn't take a dividend, the asset is worth more than he paid but even if he asset stripped it or pocketed some of the profits it would still be chicken feed to what his empire is worth
    I remenber reading a fair few family members take huge Salaries out of the club, plus all that free advertising.

Chicken feed maybe, but to someone like Ashley, money is money, I imagine he also loves all the attention
  • Options
    Money, I assume.
    I remenber reading a fair few family members take huge Salaries out of the club, plus all that free advertising.

Chicken feed maybe, but to someone like Ashley, money is money, I imagine he also loves all the attention
    It's the advertising.  The "authorities" greater than the FA will be what brings his reign of Newcastle to an end. 
  • Options
    Money, I assume.

Thats why I think as well, he just loves being famous and being a big time charlie even though he gets very little out of it financially, not many had heard of him before he bought Newcastle

There's other examples where owners bought stadiums and named them after themselves, like the Kassam Stadium even though Kassam doesn't own Oxford anymore, they only do that for pure self indulgence and I think Ashley is the same ilk
  • Options
    Bury v Gillingham suspended

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/august/efl-statement-bury-v-gillingham-suspended

payment to unsecured creditors as part of the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), alongside source and sufficiency of funding for season 2019/20.

As a result of the necessary evidence not being made available, the fixture has been suspended in accordance with EFL Regulation 28.2 and is the Club’s fourth game of the season not to take place as originally scheduled. 

A decision on whether to suspend Bury’s upcoming fixture with Rotherham United, scheduled to take place on Tuesday 20 August, will be taken on Thursday 15 August.

The EFL has made it clear that it cannot continue suspending fixtures indefinitely and the deadline of 23 August for withdrawal of membership remains in place. However, the EFL remains committed to working with the Club to try to find a successful conclusion.

• Options
    The sale of Bolton Wanderers appears ready to go through after the court order blocking a takeover was adjourned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49347728
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad to hear some Bury fans have stepped up discussions on a phoenix club.

Yes, they spent beyond their means to secure promotion last season (part blame there for both the ownership and the EFL) but the biggest victims are the only people without blame. The fans.
    Do you not think they were tickled pick when the owner"spent beyond their means" to aim for promotion? Fans moan all the time about not enough spending. I feel bad for them but don't think they are "without blame."
    how are the supporters not "without blame"?
    Of course they are blameless. They hardly spent millions and the supporters don't have access to the accounts and are not involved in the day to day financial running of the club. They are completely blameless and it is ridiculous for Napa to suggest otherwise. 
    Whilst Napa still not able to give me an answer.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49342498

Macclesfield Town are another club in desperate trouble, 6 former players have led a winding up petition to the court
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49342498

Macclesfield Town are another club in desperate trouble, 6 former players have led a winding up petition to the court
    Rhys Taylor one of the mentioned players:
  • Options
    We have too many professional clubs. 
  • Options
    Sad to hear some Bury fans have stepped up discussions on a phoenix club.

Yes, they spent beyond their means to secure promotion last season (part blame there for both the ownership and the EFL) but the biggest victims are the only people without blame. The fans.
    Do you not think they were tickled pick when the owner"spent beyond their means" to aim for promotion? Fans moan all the time about not enough spending. I feel bad for them but don't think they are "without blame."
    how are the supporters not "without blame"?
    Of course they are blameless. They hardly spent millions and the supporters don't have access to the accounts and are not involved in the day to day financial running of the club. They are completely blameless and it is ridiculous for Napa to suggest otherwise. 
    Whilst Napa still not able to give me an answer.
    I see no reason to get into it with you.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I don't think we do. We have too much greed at the top of the game. A very modest extra amount flowing down is all that is needed.

What we should be doing is using the fact we have a lot of clubs to increase the chances of us finding better players who can ultimately play for England. This could simply be done by providing monies to smaller clubs when they have found an England international depending on caps. 

We currently have a system where the big clubs cream off the talent nutured by others for little financial cost, and this would address the issue. Finding true world class players is a numbers game and we have a structure that would benefit us in that respect. It would encourage smaller clubs to invest in their youth teams.
  • Options
    i'd make a 5th division, and have div 4 and 5 north and south.  That would reduce clubs costs and increase gates
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    On the face of it, I would agree with you, but if its true, why are more and more non league clubs going full time? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    The problem is that clubs in the premier league Hoover up about 90 % of the money. 
    Clubs outside of the premier league will continue to struggle until the money is shared more fairly. 
    Not holding my breath though the greed at the top is disgusting. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    On the face of it, I would agree with you, but if its true, why are more and more non league clubs going full time? 
    Because it seems the only way to get more money as a Businessman is to spend money and so climb the ladder quicker - We've seen so many Non-League clubs try and disappear just as quickly for every Salford there is a Hornchurch etc.

As Blackpool says; take away the Premier League money (or distribute it more evenly) and you have to question if clubs will be so desperate to reach the top level with so much risk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    The problem is that clubs in the premier league Hoover up about 90 % of the money. 
    Clubs outside of the premier league will continue to struggle until the money is shared more fairly. 
    The counter argument is that the premier league generates that money so it's theirs to keep.

Not a healthy business model for the whole of football but do Tesco or Sainsbury's share income with the local corner shop.

The problem is that clubs are businesses but at the same time much more than just businesses.
  • Options
    i'd make a 5th division, and have div 4 and 5 north and south.  That would reduce clubs costs and increase gates
    Or just combine League Two with the Conference and bring back the North / South divide

Four teams already come down from League One, two go into each League then you get one automatic team that goes up with one from the Play-Offs (so same system as the current Conference)

Relegation from this League Two North / South remains the same as the current Conference with again; four teams relegated and two up from the current Conference North / South
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    You need more regulation to go with it, if you just throw money at clubs it won't solve their problems and could make it worse - like Bury, they were reckless, give them more money they'll just be more reckless
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Not sure if mentioned, but Macclesfield also not paying salaries... Campbell has walked out. 

*EDIT just seen I was on p5 still and 6 is where it has been brought up!
  • Options
    Bury have now had their 5th consecutive match of the season called off.
  • Options
    Unfortunatly on August 23rd Bury will be kicked out of the football league, I cant see it being ressolved before bext Friday
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    That was their last game before the deadline of the 23rd to have everything sorted.
    I wonder if they’ll postpone next weekend (v Tranmere) too as it’s the day after the deadline which would be to late to arrange everything if the deadline goes to the wire.
  • Options
    Never been to see Charlton play at Bury. Looking increasingly likely I'll never get to see Charlton play at this version of Bury  :'(
  • Options
    Never been to see Charlton play at Bury. Looking increasingly likely I'll never get to see Charlton play at this version of Bury  :'(
    Went to Gigg Lane when we won 2-1 in the title winning year

Typical old English Ground that I guess will be sold off to property investors!!
  • Options
    Saw Marshall score the only goal and winner there season before last,