Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PC Keith Palmer

Comments

• Options
    Police have arrested someone regarding this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53040301
  • Options
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    Man arrested over urinating PC Keith Palmer memorial https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53040301
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    there have been many disgraceful scenes over the last few days and weeks:-
     - George Floyd being killed.
     - People trying to set fire to the Union Flag on The Cenotaph.
     - Statues being defaced and ripped down.
     - Someone urinating next to PC Palmer's memorial.

The problem is created when people draw a distinction between what illegal and scummy act is acceptable and what illegal and scummy act isn't. It's all unacceptable. If you disagree with something or someone, protest peacefully (as the majority are doing), make your case through the process of democracy. If you disagree with the democratic process, then that is your right, but you can't usurp it.  

Fortunately for our democracy, The far right, who are capitalising on the agitation of the far left to push their scummy agenda, are irrelevant at the ballot box. The far left, who are hijacking the principles of BLM to drive their marxist agenda, are equally so.  

apologies for using this thread to get that off my chest - I recognise that it might not be the most appropriate place. 

I hold quite a cynical view on this. Those who advocate trying to change things through the proper channels tend to have control over the proper channels, so can fashion "democracy" to their own personal liking.

Two of the most significant social changes came about outside of the process of democracy: suffrage, and civil rights. Sometimes the democratic process is ineffective: Bristol's councillors ignored repeated calls for the statue of Colston to be taken down, while the plaque saga was its own sorry affair that would take far too long for me to go into in proper detail on here (this article is well worth the read).

That said, when it comes to the statue of Colston being pulled down, people tend to overlook that it was a Bristolian solution to a problem Bristol had struggled with for years. And yet it spawned a far wider discussion over statues (in my opinion, certainly for the better) and meant more people looked to vandalism (obviously for the worse).

I think this particular act - [EDIT] the pulling down of Colston's statue - while illegal, was anything but scummy, but I might have misread your post and what you mean by "illegal and scummy".

Anyway, I suspect this discourse is best reserved for the House of Commoners and I'd be happy to continue talking over there.

--------

I have amended my post after my wording implied that urinating on a memorial was "anything but scummy", while I was talking about the removal of Colston's statue. My profuse apologies for the confusion.

To clarify, removal of statue - not scummy. Urination - absolutely vile and I am incredibly angry about it.
  • Options
    By the way the notion that a police officer is obliged to let a pregnant woman piddle in their helmet is an urban myth.
  • Options
    He’s been arrested.
    I wonder what the charge would be? 
    Being a cu@t obviously isn't against the law or quite alot of protesters in the last week or so would be locked up. 

Outraging public decency
  • Options
    Utterly disgraceful scenes. 

The “he didn’t realise what he was pissing on/next to” argument exposes how false the “leave statues of racists up to help educate people” argument of last week was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Why is he a racist ? 
    I don't know, maybe he's simply intellectually challenged. 

Anyway, there's nothing in the picture of his disgraceful action that suggests he's a racist.  That's a conclusion that could, possibly, be drawn from evidence he gives in a court case.  We shouldn't make assumptions. 

And, in order to ensure we don't make assumptions, here's a picture that was, apparently, taken the same day, showing him in far happier times. 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Why is he a racist ? 

Anyway, there's nothing in the picture of his disgraceful action that suggests he's a racist.  That's a conclusion that could, possibly, be drawn from evidence he gives in a court case.  We shouldn't make assumptions. 

And, in order to ensure we don't make assumptions, here's a picture that was, apparently, taken the same day, showing him in far happier times. 

The guy in the white shirt and black shorts in this picture is a different person from the one urinating on the memorial.

Different socks
  • Options
    And let's pretend that there was no PC Palmer memorial.

Pissing on the Palace of Westminster, one of our most famous historic buildings, yeah no problem.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    PaddyP17 said:

The problem is created when people draw a distinction between what illegal and scummy act is acceptable and what illegal and scummy act isn't. It's all unacceptable. If you disagree with something or someone, protest peacefully (as the majority are doing), make your case through the process of democracy. If you disagree with the democratic process, then that is your right, but you can't usurp it.  

Fortunately for our democracy, The far right, who are capitalising on the agitation of the far left to push their scummy agenda, are irrelevant at the ballot box. The far left, who are hijacking the principles of BLM to drive their marxist agenda, are equally so.  

apologies for using this thread to get that off my chest - I recognise that it might not be the most appropriate place. 

I hold quite a cynical view on this. Those who advocate trying to change things through the proper channels tend to have control over the proper channels, so can fashion "democracy" to their own personal liking.

Two of the most significant social changes came about outside of the process of democracy: suffrage, and civil rights. Sometimes the democratic process is ineffective: Bristol's councillors ignored repeated calls for the statue of Colston to be taken down, while the plaque saga was its own sorry affair that would take far too long for me to go into in proper detail on here (this article is well worth the read).

That said, when it comes to the statue of Colston being pulled down, people tend to overlook that it was a Bristolian solution to a problem Bristol had struggled with for years. And yet it spawned a far wider discussion over statues (in my opinion, certainly for the better) and meant more people looked to vandalism (obviously for the worse).

I think this particular act, while illegal, was anything but scummy, but I might have misread your post and what you mean by "illegal and scummy".

Anyway, I suspect this discourse is best reserved for the House of Commoners and I'd be happy to continue talking over there.
    @PaddyP17 Anything but scummy !!!!!!! I think you need to tap your moral compass to see if you can get it working again. The first part of your post was thought provoking and I have some real sympathy for but to suggest the act in question wasn’t vile and scummy is frankly astonishing.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Why is he a racist ? 

The guy in the white shirt and black shorts in this picture is a different person from the one urinating on the memorial.

Different socks
    That's why I used "apparently".  It was brought to Tobias Ellwood's attention, so I thought I might pass it on. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Why is he a racist ? 

Which one is Brit Ian? Or should it say Britain?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I think this particular act, while illegal, was anything but scummy, but I might have misread your post and what you mean by "illegal and scummy".

@PaddyP17 Anything but scummy !!!!!!! I think you need to tap your moral compass to see if you can get it working again. The first part of your post was thought provoking and I have some real sympathy for but to suggest the act in question wasn’t vile and scummy is frankly astonishing.
    Oh no no no no no, I mean the pulling down of the statue of Colston. I have phrased that terribly.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Why is he a racist ? 

Different socks
    But same “uniform” ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    PaddyP17 said:

Deliberately not on House of Commoners for exactly this reason!

I have to admit that your "reasonable cynicism" is reasonable and a good debate.

Perhaps scummy is the wrong word, but I certainly think pulling down statues does the genuine cause of BLM no favours. The real risk is that the principle of BLM is overtaken by the marxist position its "organised" structure advocates, which is far more dangerous.
  • Options

• Options
    A bit of perspective is needed here. I saw countless images of thugs, clearly and easily identifiable, repeatedly attacking policemen and police horses with fists, boots and glass bottles. I think priority should be given to identifying, arresting and jailing the violent thugs.

And to all the people saying it was a minority.....give me a break! From what I saw it seemed like approaching at least half of that mob were looking for a violent confrontation. 

What is is up with our riot police? And what is the point of those short little batons they were armed with? They are the laughing stock of the world this morning. Unable to control a few hundred drunken thugs for the entire day! 

• Options
    A bit of perspective is needed here. I saw countless images of thugs, clearly and easily identifiable, repeatedly attacking policemen and police horses with fists, boots and glass bottles. I think priority should be given to identifying, arresting and jailing the violent thugs.

And to all the people saying it was a minority.....give me a break! From what I saw it seemed like approaching at least half of that mob were looking for a violent confrontation. 

What is is up with our riot police? And what is the point of those short little batons they were armed with? They are the laughing stock of the world this morning. Unable to control a few hundred drunken thugs for the entire day! 

Yes, my Mrs pointed out that in India they would have dealt with with a lathi charge and they wouldn't be back for more.
  • Options
    'The media' and 'the left' are most certainly not one and the same thing.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    'The media' and 'the left' are most certainly not one and the same thing.
    The lefties say the media is right wing and the right wing say the media is full of lefties. The media just likes the most sensational story.
  • Options
    My opinion for what it’s worth, I don’t think he intentionally pissed on the memorial. If he did he’s made a terrible effort of it. He has behaved like a disrespectful, drunken idiot on a day that should not have been about that and he, like many of those who attended, has brought shame on himself and those associated with him and has handed the media/left a narrative on a plate. 

However, I think if the vile, racist (and they are that as they would certainly be if perpetrated by white individuals) mob attacks we saw yesterday had been white on black, that would be the main headline and the fury would be off the richter scale.

Where is the condemnation? The establishment/ Twitter voices and media have quite rightfully highlighted the disgraceful scenes from some of the far right yesterday - they were sickening - but unless or until the aforementioned start to treat and report on these events more objectively, it will continue to build resentment.

I read a decent sky news report yesterday, which did highlight some accurate facts - it was a minority of the far right and there were other groups involved. But you had to really search for it and it doesn’t appear to represent 99% of what I’m seeing today.

Happy to be proved wrong, as we all miss things.

I do find the one sided selective reporting of events concerning too.  Feel very uncomfortable with that and does not speak of balance and just fuels the idiots narrative.

Saw some horrific videos of violent mob attacks on individuals including one alleged throat slashing in Trafalgar square which does not seem to be garnering anywhere near the same attention as this prick pissing.  It should be equally reported and condemned by anyone decent.

As i said in my post above they are all mindless scum and need to all sort themselves out.

As Gary says too the fact this is all occurring in the middle of the worst pandemic the country has seen in over a century and potentially risking the lives of innocent people and the protraction of the virus is very wrong too.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!