Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Options
    Hildreth is picking a player for the sake of picking a player! If he is that good, why hasn’t he been picked before? 
    He’s played in the Ashes before, ask Ricky Ponting! 
    I don't understand that!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Hildreth is picking a player for the sake of picking a player! If he is that good, why hasn’t he been picked before? 
    I don't understand that!
    Hildreth caught Ponting as a sub fielder 
    Indeed he did. Ponting wasn't exactly happy with our use of sub fielders that series :)
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I don't understand that!
    Hildreth caught Ponting as a sub fielder 
    He's no Gary Pratt though!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I don't understand that!
    Not as clever as you think then are you!
  • Options
    Hildreth would be something of a short term solution - he's 35 in two weeks
  • Options
    We need to be playing guys who might be playing test cricket for the next 10 years.
  • Options
    James Hildreth has a batting average of 24.21 this season, I think Leuth is his agent
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I don't understand that!
    Not as clever as you think then are you!
    It's ok, Addick Addict took time to explain what you were referring to. 
  • Options
    Can we call on a concussion sub for Jason Roy? ahem cough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Can we call on a concussion sub for Jason Roy? ahem cough.
    Unless it's Steve Smith I don't think it'll help.
  • Options
    Hopefully Australia will bat for two more days and we will hang on for  a draw 
  • Options
    Nip four out quickly, then chase 300 like we did at Headingley in 2001
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Nip four out quickly, then chase 300 like we did at Headingley in 2001
    That would be brilliant. 
    Not with this team sadly 
  • Options
    Keep bowling non wicket maidens for 3 days and they'll never be comfortable enough to declare.  Simple, can't believe no one has ever thought of it.
  • Options
    Was out this afternoon so just caught up with the highlights on Sky. 

Labuchange was dropped twice & also caught off a no ball. When you only score 67 & are over 100 runs behind you dpnt give their best batsman  3 lives..!!!

All over now. We will have to chase 350+ & will probably be all over tomorrow.....latest sunday lunchtime.

As someone said earlier.....if that is the case & the Ashes are gone then the last 2 matches should be used to blood a few new players. 
  • Options
    Set my alarm for 5.15am for the 6th day in a row.... 🤦‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

England batsmen, we’re coming for you!!! 
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights, grim viewing. 

Don't know where we go, as the players just aren't there and all the ECB care about is their 100.

No idea who takes over, but Root needs to step down as Captain. He's clearly burnt out, and we need him to concentrate on his batting.
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights, grim viewing. 

Don't know where we go, as the players just aren't there and all the ECB care about is their 100.

No idea who takes over, but Root needs to step down as Captain. He's clearly burnt out, and we need him to concentrate on his batting.
    Agreed, been like it for a while. We can all see Roy isn't a test match opener, Denly isn't good enough and we don't have a good enough spinner, but who comes in? If the players aren't there, not much we can do. 

Maybe we should be happy, we are World Champions at least. 
  • Options
    Something needs to change quickly. We’ve got our tickets for Newlands and Port Elizabeth. Although actually, never seen us lose overseas (Oz 2011, SA 2015, St Lucia 2019) 

After his his performance and effort yesterday, could stokes be captain? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something needs to change quickly. We’ve got our tickets for Newlands and Port Elizabeth. Although actually, never seen us lose overseas (Oz 2011, SA 2015, St Lucia 2019) 

After his his performance and effort yesterday, could stokes be captain? 

I think Stokes would be worth a go,  Root needs to go back to 4 and just get back to batting, he is our best batsman.
  • Options
    No words for that display yesterday.

Serious period of introspection required. Winning would have papered over some serious cracks in this test side. 

Smith got lucky last summer in selecting Buttler and he managed to smash a few runs against weaker sides from down the order. Lightening hasn't struck twice.

Question marks over every position from 1-8. Except Root and Stokes, Burns has done enough to earn a bit more time, woakes is a very good player but feel he needs a rest after the world cup - just isn't looking the same player. Bairstow is probably in that group too but I would wanna send him a message that he's not undroppable and isn't good enough to dictate his role. No one is bigger than the team, you bat where is best for the team.

Burns
    Cawley
    Sibley
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Curran (or Jimmy if fit)
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach 

Broad or Jimmy to captain for now but I would like burns to do it in a year or so.
  • Options
    Yeah genuinely don’t understand why his names being touted on here. His time has long gone.
  • Options
    Lots were saying Root must bat at 3 and he can’t dictate playing at 4 but now everyone seems to want him back at 3. 

After we lose this match would be happy with the team Canters has posted for rest of series and winter tests. 

• Options

Serious period of introspection required. Winning would have papered over some serious cracks in this test side. 

Smith got lucky last summer in selecting Buttler and he managed to smash a few runs against weaker sides from down the order. Lightening hasn't struck twice.

Question marks over every position from 1-8. Except Root and Stokes, Burns has done enough to earn a bit more time, woakes is a very good player but feel he needs a rest after the world cup - just isn't looking the same player. Bairstow is probably in that group too but I would wanna send him a message that he's not undroppable and isn't good enough to dictate his role. No one is bigger than the team, you bat where is best for the team.

Burns
    Cawley
    Sibley
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Curran (or Jimmy if fit)
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach 

Broad or Jimmy to captain for now but I would like burns to do it in a year or so.
    i agree with the changes but i dont think whoever comes in can solve this issue. they dont have the right mentality for test match cricket. they need a red ball coach to start off with and to play more red ball cricket. that wont happen just like the triumphant world cup win wont be built on. the ECB are too bothered about this hundred bullshit. 
  • Options
    Can someone with more time and energy than me, have a look and see are there any openers in county cricket who don’t open on the shorter format ? 

Presumably because they don’t go flashing their bat around off stump. Maybe they are the sort of player we need to open   
  • Options

Burns
    Cawley
    Sibley
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Curran (or Jimmy if fit)
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach 

The only difference to my team is denly for Crawley. I would give denly the summer. If this team is picked (the selectors haven’t got the balls) then the young batsman should be given at least until the end of the winter unless they are in Roy sort of form.

i would also have sibley open and Crawley at 3 as sibley has more first class experience.

i don’t follow county cricket closely, what happened to duckett 
  • Options

Burns
    Cawley
    Sibley
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Curran (or Jimmy if fit)
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach 

Great post. 

I went through the team yesterday and came up with, what I though was, a good reason that none of them should be captain. 

Has there ever been such a confused selection of a batting lineup in test match history?  Regardless of if the top 7 are the best 7 in the country (quite obviously they aren't) only 2 of them are batting in the right place. 

3 or 4, if not more, have had their careers either ruined or hindered because they don't have a clue where they are batting or what their job is with the ball.  The man managment has been shocking.  Who ever the new coach is has to have some very harsh and honest 1-2-1s with the likes of Stokes, Bairstow and Ali as to how they see them selves as players, how they are seen as players and on what criteria they are going to be picked, or not picked, in the future.

I said go with the same team after Edgbaston but its got to change, and change fast.  The team I would pick for Old Trafford would be:

Burns
    Crawley
    Sibley
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes (c) 
    Bairstow (w) 
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad
    Leech

Woakes has to take the new ball BTW. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I follow cricket but not in the detail of some on here. What appears to have happened is our performance in the two forms of cricket have reversed in the last 4 years. As a consequence we can score quickly but not build patient innings in the long game. 

It's a bit like the bad old days of us playing 5 day plodders in the 1 day game. Now it's the reverse. I fear for test match cricket as new players understandably chase the money available in big bash and ipl. Sad times. Sigh. Back to the sunbed before cheering on the lads from afar this pm.
  • Options
    Great,

Graham Thorpe said England will not make wholesale changes to their side for the final two Tests.

"We've got to keep working with these players because these are the best players we have," he told TMS.