Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Bonkers Statement from Roland - the "The EFL must buy the club" one

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I  know the words 'Rod' and 'Liddle' are about as popular on here as the words 'Rampant' and 'Herpes' BUT RL has written a very good article in todays S Times. It's both perceptive and amusing as well as right on the money. The subject is Duchatelets letter in particular and barmy club owners in general .. 
    I know the S Times is hardly the newsread of choice for most, but if you can get hold of a copy of if someone who subscribes online can do a paste and copy, it's well worth a read r comment
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    One issue I see with the fans owning the ground and training ground is what happens if the club doesn't pay the rent or carry out the required maintenance?

Will we evict the club?

We would be hostages to the owners and they would know that.

Even a "friendly" separation of club and ground is, IMHO, a bad idea although still better than Duchatelet.
    Coming late to this, but I wonder if you could put the Valley in the hands of the fans by whatever legal means, and lease it back to the club effectively free and allow the tenant to retain all revenues on the basis they retain all associated costs of operation and improvement. In essence the ground would be held in trust, but operated to the sole benefit of the football club at the cost of the football club. 
    Possibly but when owner doesn't pay the rates or maintain the pitch, what then?

I'm afraid this question needs a good answer. Right now, I don't have one.
    Is a landlord responsible for a tenant's business rates? I think most of this could be handled in a lasting trust deed, which would be legally enforceable. 

I recognise the risk Henry's suggesting, and of course all of this is somewhat dependent on good owners, I'm simply suggesting it's another option we shouldn't rule out.

Ultimately you would aim to set up legally such that it wasn't in a future owner's interests not to do the basics. 
  • Options
    Yes the EFL should acquire the club and all of its assets if only to take us out of the hands of an owner who is clearly not fit and proper, and based upon this latest missive really appears to have issues normally dealt with by people in white coats.  The posting of that unusual CV on the website for an English Football Club really does sound like a cry for help.  Whoever is responsible for the regulation on the Brussels Stock Exchange of his company Melexis should also take note,
  • Options
    Seems to me the graffiti may have pushed Roland over the edge. He wants rid but no-one is matching his asking price
    What is needed is a nice man in a white coat to tell him to knock a zero off it and the it will all go away, we promise...……..
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Blucher said:
    Funny that The Guardian article features a picture of "Coventry" fans protesting at their game at The Valley when it is, in fact, Charlton fans that are wearing the t-shirts spelling "SISU OUT" .
    Easy mistake to make

@Addickted and @Live by the sword also pictured.

Henry Jnr just visible behind the Katrien Meire flag
    The NK flag was the one that the goons spent about half an hour trying to take off the lad.

I had 'hold' of it for about five minutes - it was quite hilarious as they were desperately trying to find it.

Yes, was the game four of Tony K's hired thugs cornered the lad outside the West stand.
  • Options
    Here's an idea for Roly that should fit in with his philosophy if I'm reading his CV correctly - in order for all the pain, suffering and torture that he has put Charlton through he should gift all 10,000 of us a one off basic income supplement of £7000 which would be funded by the transfer of the club lock stack and barrel into a trust for the benefit of all the recipients - RD would then meet his asking price and satisfy his political aims at the same time.  I'm sure the trust could come up with some arrangement for those who wanted to cash in their £7000 and spend it on vol au vents etc,
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Blucher said:
    Funny that The Guardian article features a picture of "Coventry" fans protesting at their game at The Valley when it is, in fact, Charlton fans that are wearing the t-shirts spelling "SISU OUT" .
    Easy mistake to make

@Addickted and @Live by the sword also pictured.

Henry Jnr just visible behind the Katrien Meire flag
    The NK flag was the one that the goons spent about half an hour trying to take off the lad.

I had 'hold' of it for about five minutes - it was quite hilarious as they were desperately trying to find it.

Yes, was the game four of Tony K's hired thugs cornered the lad outside the West stand.
    Funny how they didn't want to take it off me.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two trouble makers and a dog

Dora was by far the most eloquent of those gathered that day. I’ve heard a rumour that the EFL are considering headhunting her to be their new CEO when Harvey goes. Far too bright to be wasted on such an organisation. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    According to the minutes of last weeks FF, there is a FULL FF today/tonight. Are the people attending going to raise the RD statement with tonight's Club attendees? Will LDT be there or is this just the Valley based staff? 
    To add please see a few sentences taking from the minutes, and then compare to what RD said in his 'interview' where he said there are no negotiations ongoing!

LDT said there are still three parties interested in buying the club.

When asked why the Australians haven’t completed the deal yet LDT said he feels the Australian group is too complex. He said he still speaks with Australians every two to three days.

• Options
    According to the minutes of last weeks FF, there is a FULL FF today/tonight. Are the people attending going to raise the RD statement with tonight's Club attendees? Will LDT be there or is this just the Valley based staff? 
    To add please see a few sentences taking from the minutes, and then compare to what RD said in his 'interview' where he said there are no negotiations ongoing!

LDT said there are still three parties interested in buying the club.

When asked why the Australians haven’t completed the deal yet LDT said he feels the Australian group is too complex. He said he still speaks with Australians every two to three days.

Someone should simply ask who is lying LDT or Rolland.
  • Options
    Questions above around what happens if club stop paying bills, maintaining ground, etc On the flip side what would stop a club walking away from the stadium, etc

I'm no expert but any number of clauses could be inserted into a lease, which could ultimately result in termination. Could a club be required to surrender its registration in that event?

I guess the problem would be with the required restrictive clauses would anyone be willing to take the club on.

• Options
    Can I suggest we hurry up and get this concluded?  Because it's Monday lunchtime already, and there is a Fans Forum meeting this evening.  The Great Thinker will probably have come up with two or three gems to share with the FF tonight, through his mouthpiece LdT.  Probably on the lines of 

1. Hey, the cloob is located in Sparrows Lane. Can we sell some of these sparrows to pie-makers? Or, at least charge them rent. 

2. If the EFL won't buy the cloob, can we sell the cloob to UK Athletics?  Surely they need a "Charlton Athletic" to add to their collection of athletics? 

3. The EFL have lots of cloobs who are losing money.  So, if we aggregate their value, it is probably a negative number.  So, I propose to buy the EFL and get them to pay me £70m at the same time.  So the combined business will be known as Charlton Athletic Football League, and we will have 71 teams acting as nursery teams for us, and I can share the costs across the whole group and loan players whenever I want between whichever team I want and Thomas can pick the sides and we don't need Managers and I think I need another lie-down again... nurse!
  • Options
    razil said:
    Questions above around what happens if club stop paying bills, maintaining ground, etc On the flip side what would stop a club walking away from the stadium, etc

I'm no expert but any number of clauses could be inserted into a lease, which could ultimately result in termination. Could a club be required to surrender its registration in that event?

I guess the problem would be with the required restrictive clauses would anyone be willing to take the club on.

Yep. The key would be enabling the club to fully exploit the assets, whilst maintaining a responsibility for their upkeep - the two probably go hand in hand. May be unworkable, would be interested in views of those more knowledgeable. 
  • Options
    I thought Roland's envoy only worked Tuesday to Thursday.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I thought Roland's envoy only worked Tuesday to Thursday.
    (Excluding Thursday PM)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    He is dialling in tonight I believe
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Just a small difference with @Grapevine49 s excellent post, regarding the money. I always stated that buying a football club is for those with money they don't need, for example Roland Duchatalet. For the rest of us however, it's not so easy. I don't know how many people would be prepared to chip in 2500 quid, but I would not. For a start, it would go to Roland, something I wouldn't consider. This all looks like a desperate play, but here's the crunch, once the group of fans own the club, and pick an executive group to start taking decisions, how long would the next request for another 2,500 quid take? And the next? This is a money losing business. If RD ran us literally out of business, and lost his money, I would be happy to see what I could stump up to refloat the Addicks. Wimbledon and Dartford have both done so. But we would reappear way down the food chain, and costs would be much lower and more sustainable. Where we are now is very expensive, and while I applaud the sentiment, sorry but I think the numbers defeat us fans. besides, as I said, I'm not buying anything that Roland has so badly devalued. let him wake up and put a normal price on a tier 3 club.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Who’s going tonight? Need to DM one of them. 
  • Options
    razil said:
    Seriously?
    He will attend the meeting I presume he agreed to on the end of the telephone?
    I assume some kind of emergency prevents him being there in person.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    razil said:
    Seriously?
    He will attend the meeting I presume he agreed to on the end of the telephone?
    I assume some kind of emergency prevents him being there in person.

Yes, his nose has suddenly and inexplicably grown longer...
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gerard Murphy told me he was going.  But he's asked me to ask you to stop messaging him. 
    Funnily enough, he’s always asking about you ;-)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    It's a telephone conference call meeting, but I believe razil is "attending".
  • Options
    This is an article which begins to explore facial expressions that people reveal.
    Presumably easier to discern face to face than on skype, and impossible to discern only listening on the telephone.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4726785