Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views; AFC Wimbledon v Charlton

Comments

• Options
    purdis said:
    Blucher said:

A pretty dismal first half in which Wimbledon dominated us, with relatively effortless defence and several incisive attacks, many of which were led by Scot Wagstaff, who  (without looking to damn the guy with faint praise) looked a yard faster than any of our players. Joe Pigott also played very well, together with his strike partner, and Patrick Bauer had a relatively torrid first first half.

In fairness, the same went for the rest of the team. Cullen was, uncharacteristically, caught in possession a couple of times in dangerous areas and Joe Aribo failed to impose himself on the game. Mark Marshall looked lively but, as has so often been the case, his final ball was poor.

Up top, Taylor barely touched the ball, save for missing what looked like an open(ish) goal following a burst through from Lapslie, although as I could only see about 70% of the pitch and I was up the other end, I may be talking out of my arse. What I can say with some conviction is that an out of position Jonny Williams barely touched the ball in the first half.

Overall, we were toothless offensively, vulnerable at the back, completely out-muscled by a physical, but fair, Wimbledon team and tactically outwitted.

This did little to suppress the downbeat mood on the away terrace, enhanced by a skip full of compost which had been placed just behind the away terrace - presumably courtesy of one of Wimbledon’s sponsors, ‘Reston Waste’. Great to see that the spirit of Harry Bassett’s Crazy Gang lives on. I looked over the wall to see it had a covering of grass cuttings but there can be no doubt from the smell what dwelt beneath.

In fact, a steaming pile of manure was a pretty apt metaphor for our first  half performance.

The second half was a different story and The Nabster’s free kick completely changed the dynamic. We put some real heat on the opposition for the next 15 minutes or so, following which the game evened up a bit and became a little more end-to-end. Towards the end, however, we started to turn the screw, with Fosu having an excellent effort just tipped around the post, Aribo stepping up to the plate and Williams putting over one tremendous cross which caused havoc in the Wimbledon box. In the end, Igor managed to get the ball in the onion bag and joy in the smelly, shallow-terraced away paddock was unconfined. 

The performance over the 90 minutes did little to dispel anxieties about our lack of firepower but a 7 point gap (and a better goal difference) over the 7th placed team is not to be sneezed at with only 12 games to go.

On to Donny.

Agree in the main but at least Cullen had the ball in the first half - Lapslie and Aribo were non existent.
    Looking forward to Bielik’s return as a midfield with Bielik at holding and Aribo, Cullen and Williams should be a formidable set up.
    We must not underestimate the chemistry of the relationship between Lyle and KAG and that is the potential stumbling block to us reaching the Promised Land.
    This win was crucial as we might just get back on track now.
    Which is why I thought Huddersfield should have bought the two of them at the start of the transfer window.
    You are not welcome on CL, Roland.
    From their point of view, not ours, obviously. 
    Agree AA, just being cheeky as usual.

If the udders had offered 3.5 million thinking about next season in the Championship then both Karlan and Lyle would have gone because Duchatelet would have accepted and Taylor said out loud that he wants to play at the highest level possible.

A scary thought about the recent window.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    If we get a free-kick on the left side of the box, it won't be the best angle for Sarr to take, so we will have to find someone else. Wonder if Bielik or Taylor would be any good?
  • Options
    I know football is a game of opinions but after checking out the scores on the doors have noticed that Williams has scores from 4 to 7.5 !  Fosu is the only other player who seems to get such polar opposite views.

I know the view is difficult at Kingstonian's old ground for away fans but why the big difference ?
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    If we get a free-kick on the left side of the box, it won't be the best angle for Sarr to take, so we will have to find someone else. Wonder if Bielik or Taylor would be any good?
    Taylor took one quite recently, it was awful and he hasn't taken one since. Williams should have a decent free kick on him surely, or Aribo?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Simonsen said:
    Taylor took one quite recently, it was awful and he hasn't taken one since. Williams should have a decent free kick on him surely, or Aribo?
    Still Sarr for me, because he could whip in a mean cross, or even go for a surprise top left hand corner job. Or mash a low hard screamer. 
  • Options
    wasn't there .. great that we got a last minute winner .. two tough games upcoming and they will be a real test of our present form, state of mind and durability
  • Options
    And whilst we are in the subject of delivering balls, why can’t one be driven in low and hard across the face of the goal once in a while instead of 10 yards behind the last man or straight into the goalkeepers hands ?
  • Options
    And whilst we are in the subject of delivering balls, why can’t one be driven in low and hard across the face of the goal once in a while instead of 10 yards behind the last man or straight into the goalkeepers hands ?
    We scored from these a few times with Taylor crossing it into Grant or sometimes the other way around
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Oh Naby baby ur the love of my life,oh Naby baby,I'd let u shag my mate's wife,oh Naby baby,please sign a new contract too...!!!
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I think it is our minds that think it is more difficult from the ‘wrong’ side. As my preference is to use my right foot I could see all options from a free kick anywhere across the penalty area. Just a thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Sarr would make a very good defensive midfielder, he's great on the ball and can certainly pick a pass, can get Pearce, Bauer & Sarr all in the side that way too
  • Options
    Vetokele's back!!! 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Did Igor’s goal go directly in from his header or did it come off a defenders leg or something? 

Watching on TV there’s something about it that doesn’t seem to travel right imo
    Wondering the same and have now watched it about 15 times. The way the keeper dives make our look like he's reacting to a touch or was expecting one that didn't come. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Did Igor’s goal go directly in from his header or did it come off a defenders leg or something? 

Watching on TV there’s something about it that doesn’t seem to travel right imo
    Wondering the same and have now watched it about 15 times. The way the keeper dives make our look like he's reacting to a touch or was expecting one that didn't come. 
    Igor heads it downwards, defender sticks his leg out. It flicks up off his boot, and loops over the keeper 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    First trip for me to AFC Wimbledon, proper old school ground and the almost flat terrace made getting in early so worthwhile. Loved being right by the pitch and just seeing the action from a different, intimate perspective for once.

First half was just concerning, we couldn't contain their pace on the wings and Waggy was all over us, going in 1-0 down at the break was a justified result I think but in all honesty, Bowyer has a knack for changing things at half time with tactics and we were a different team in the second half! 

Being down the front meant I saw everything with Bowyer's sending off, crazy to see it quite frankly but you can hear his reaction to the yellow card is clearly why he quickly saw a red. But it set the tone for the rest of the half, more fire in the squad and us in the crowd were pumped

And that's when Naby Sarr stepped up to take a free kick. We've all been told countless times about this lad's left foot, and I think we can all agree he's quickly becoming a favourite for everyone. The guy is just rock solid and playing some fantastic football every single week, but he stepped up for this free kick and I swear he knew it was in the back of the neck before he even kicked the ball, it was textbook, it was flawless. From then on in the 2nd half we had all the pressure bar the odd blips every now and then, but overall it was a fantastic second half, to score in the dying minutes with the messiest of messy goals was just a brilliant end to the day.

Loved our crowd, thought the atmosphere was brilliant and brought back many memories of the days of 1998 doing away games with a lot of unity amongst us all, we're not there yet but we're getting our Charlton back. 
  • Options
    Igor has a beautiful accent... Cant place it at all

• Options
    What happened to Josh Parker?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Illness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Illness. Should be ok for Doncaster 
  • Options
    I'd just like to add that we are in a situation where many of our players are better when not playing.
    Lapslie springs to mind this week.
    Last week many were saying we need Lapslie to give the midfield some energy and bite.
    Lapslie plays yesterday and added little in truth.
    I don't envy Bowyer he's given loads of players a chance this season, but they haven't established themselves.

Marshall, Fosu, Reeves, Pratley, Lapslie and Djiksteel spring to mind.
    Your having a laugh CE.
    Bowyer starts a player for a game he then sits on the bench for a couple  of games then starts him.
    Give some of these players a decent run in the team.
    Start fosu for 5 or 6 games if he doesn't produce then bin him
  • Options

Great result from the lads. Back to winning ways. What a goal from @nabysarr and winner from @IgorVetokele #cafc #coyr

• Options
    This team never gives up... Can you name the other six goals? #cafc

• Options
    Scoham said:
    purdis said:
    Blucher said:

A pretty dismal first half in which Wimbledon dominated us, with relatively effortless defence and several incisive attacks, many of which were led by Scot Wagstaff, who  (without looking to damn the guy with faint praise) looked a yard faster than any of our players. Joe Pigott also played very well, together with his strike partner, and Patrick Bauer had a relatively torrid first first half.

In fairness, the same went for the rest of the team. Cullen was, uncharacteristically, caught in possession a couple of times in dangerous areas and Joe Aribo failed to impose himself on the game. Mark Marshall looked lively but, as has so often been the case, his final ball was poor.

Up top, Taylor barely touched the ball, save for missing what looked like an open(ish) goal following a burst through from Lapslie, although as I could only see about 70% of the pitch and I was up the other end, I may be talking out of my arse. What I can say with some conviction is that an out of position Jonny Williams barely touched the ball in the first half.

Overall, we were toothless offensively, vulnerable at the back, completely out-muscled by a physical, but fair, Wimbledon team and tactically outwitted.

This did little to suppress the downbeat mood on the away terrace, enhanced by a skip full of compost which had been placed just behind the away terrace - presumably courtesy of one of Wimbledon’s sponsors, ‘Reston Waste’. Great to see that the spirit of Harry Bassett’s Crazy Gang lives on. I looked over the wall to see it had a covering of grass cuttings but there can be no doubt from the smell what dwelt beneath.

In fact, a steaming pile of manure was a pretty apt metaphor for our first  half performance.

The second half was a different story and The Nabster’s free kick completely changed the dynamic. We put some real heat on the opposition for the next 15 minutes or so, following which the game evened up a bit and became a little more end-to-end. Towards the end, however, we started to turn the screw, with Fosu having an excellent effort just tipped around the post, Aribo stepping up to the plate and Williams putting over one tremendous cross which caused havoc in the Wimbledon box. In the end, Igor managed to get the ball in the onion bag and joy in the smelly, shallow-terraced away paddock was unconfined. 

The performance over the 90 minutes did little to dispel anxieties about our lack of firepower but a 7 point gap (and a better goal difference) over the 7th placed team is not to be sneezed at with only 12 games to go.

On to Donny.

Agree in the main but at least Cullen had the ball in the first half - Lapslie and Aribo were non existent.
    Looking forward to Bielik’s return as a midfield with Bielik at holding and Aribo, Cullen and Williams should be a formidable set up.
    We must not underestimate the chemistry of the relationship between Lyle and KAG and that is the potential stumbling block to us reaching the Promised Land.
    This win was crucial as we might just get back on track now.
    The issue with that midfield is Aribo is the only one likely to score. Unless Igor can replace Grant’s goals we need more goalscoring midfielders in the team.
    I’m increasingly thinking our best midfield is not necessarily the same as our best midfielders. I like Cullen a lot, he’s very good, but do we need both him and Bielek in the same side? I would say definitely not at home. Cullen has the greater range of passing, but I think we have missed Bielek as he wins so many headers in front of the back 4 and can drive forwards with the ball better than Cullen.

Aribo has to start, his stretchy legs winning tackles and ability to go past players gives us something none of the others offer. And he scores goals. I also still think Fosu should play. He frustrates but the boy gets into scoring positions, and he plays well with Aribo - they’re on the same wave length with all their tricks and flicks. 

That leaves one spot, and I’d actually give it to Reeves. He’s another who can frustrate but he has some of Cullen’s range of passing and also is more likely to score goals. I think he’s better defensively than Williams who, I have to be honest, as skillful as he looks skipping past players 40 yards from goal has not really done a great deal in the way of end product since joining us. He just seems to have upset the balance a bit too, somehow. 

I think that 4 would give us the best balance and is the midfield that was playing when we were winning lots of games earlier in the season. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    sam3110 said:
    Simonsen said:
    Still Sarr for me, because he could whip in a mean cross, or even go for a surprise top left hand corner job. Or mash a low hard screamer. 
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c71927a7f5ce/bowyer-naby-will-be-on-free-kicks-again-next-week