Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Woolwich Ferry

13»

Comments

• Options
    From memory, it wasn't just £20m for the crap boats, but new berths had to be constructed and new ramps fitted as they are larger than the 3 boats they replaced.

I've tried to get on the new boats twice, but both times there was a fault and I couldn't do it.

I'm hoping third time lucky next month. I bloody hope so, or I'll be forced into the ulez zone with a no compliant van through the Blackwall Tunnel.
  • Options
    From memory, it wasn't just £20m for the crap boats, but new berths had to be constructed and new ramps fitted as they are larger than the 3 boats they replaced.

I've tried to get on the new boats twice, but both times there was a fault and I couldn't do it.

I'm hoping third time lucky next month. I bloody hope so, or I'll be forced into the ulez zone with a no compliant van through the Blackwall Tunnel.
    Isn’t the Woolwich ferry in the ULEZ zone?
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    That cafe in the overspill at Woolwich done a cracking bacon roll.
    Quite a pleasurable way to cross the Thames.
    That has long gone.
    I know. Just reminiscing. 
    Most stress free way of getting from Blackfen to Canning Town.
    Sit in the motor, bacon roll, cup of tea and the daily paper.
    May have taken longer, but a far pleasurable route.
  • Options

No, it is on the border, turn right [westbound] off the ferry ,Woolwich side, you are in the ULEZ zone, straight ahead or turn left [eastbound] you avoid the ULEZ zone.
  • Options
    clive said:

No, it is on the border, turn right [westbound] off the ferry ,Woolwich side, you are in the ULEZ zone, straight ahead or turn left [eastbound] you avoid the ULEZ zone.
    Until August this year and ulez covers all the way out to Bromley etc.

Give it another couple of years and ulez will cover everywhere but the Isles of Scilly. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Give it another couple of years and ulez will cover everywhere but the Isles of Scilly. 
    Thats one hell of a detour!
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    clive said:

Only if the Mayor gets his way (which he probably will). There's been loads of push back though and not only from the public, but borough councils that are getting eaten up by the new zone and who are refusing to let the infrastructure for the expansion be placed on their land.

The only people hit hard by all this are everyday working people, who can neither afford a car upgrade nor the £12.50(?) a day fee to go into the new zone to work / school / hospital / etc. Pretty sure some of the councils who aren't happy are claiming the air quality in their boroughs fall well within the limits of what is acceptable.

Hard to say too much though as this will be another topic that, if you disagree with, you’re obviously the opposite extreme. In this case, a climate change denying flat earther.

Even if the councils push back, TFL ‘own’ a lot of the major roads through those boroughs and can install them whatever. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    clive said:

the ferry cant even cross the fucking Thames never mind going all the way along the south coast of England. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Gribbo said:
    clive said:

Only if the Mayor gets his way (which he probably will). There's been loads of push back though and not only from the public, but borough councils that are getting eaten up by the new zone and who are refusing to let the infrastructure for the expansion be placed on their land.

The only people hit hard by all this are everyday working people, who can neither afford a car upgrade nor the £12.50(?) a day fee to go into the new zone to work / school / hospital / etc. Pretty sure some of the councils who aren't happy are claiming the air quality in their boroughs fall well within the limits of what is acceptable.

Hard to say too much though as this will be another topic that, if you disagree with, you’re obviously the opposite extreme. In this case, a climate change denying flat earther.

Even if the councils push back, TFL ‘own’ a lot of the major roads through those boroughs and can install them whatever. 
    Yeah I heard that, but the fact the councils are pushing back in the first place kind of tells us somethings not right.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    clive said:

the ferry cant even cross the fucking Thames never mind going all the way along the south coast of England. 
    They've both gone somewhere.

Chatham has been mentioned for modifications/repairs to be undertken.
  • Options
    I was chatting to people at work about going to uni and Freshers weeks etc as some of our kids were off to uni. One bloke at work who went to Greenwich uni glumly said that they weren't allowed a Freshers week as the previous year some students got out of hand and hijacked the Woolwich ferry,tied up the captain and drove the ferry up and down the Thames. I'm not sure how true that is but that does sound like a good Freshers night event!
  • Options
    StAlf198 said:
    I was chatting to people at work about going to uni and Freshers weeks etc as some of our kids were off to uni. One bloke at work who went to Greenwich uni glumly said that they weren't allowed a Freshers week as the previous year some students got out of hand and hijacked the Woolwich ferry,tied up the captain and drove the ferry up and down the Thames. I'm not sure how true that is but that does sound like a good Freshers night event!
    Great story but unlikely 
  • Options
    StAlf198 said:
    Sounds like BS to me however if true maybe we could arrange a freshers six months and get them to sail back and forth whilst carrying a few passengers 
  • Options
    Both in at Chatham Dock for repairs/modifications. 
  • Options
    Appropriately named Dame Vera Lynn - We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when.
  • Options
    Transport for London have announced that the Woolwich ferry is to close for up to six weeks from the 24th July.
    https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2023/06/16/woolwich-ferry-to-close-for-up-to-six-weeks/
  • Options
    clive said:

How silly is that.🙄
  • Options
    Got to be working to close it .