Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Woolwich Ferry

Limited service today.

Comments

• edited February 11
    May I be the first to congratulate you.
    A couple of miles along the river walk is a cable car that also crosses the river.
    Go on, I dare you.

• May I be the first to congratulate you.
    A couple of miles along the river walk is a cable car that also crosses the river.
    Go on, I dare you.

Been there, rode it.
  • May I be the first to congratulate you.
    Go on, I dare you.

Sod off... Aint trying to get my car in one of those!!
  • iainment said:
    They're still having problems with docking. The drawbridge took ages to engage with the boat and then one of the gates decided not to open for a while. The boat looks good. There are separate ways on for cyclists and pedestrians. I think it was slower crossing but as it's so big I suppose the wait, for cars anyway, will be shorter. And now I can say I'm one of the first to ride Vera Lynn. ;-)
    They should have left it well alone. All in the name of progress.... 
  • Can you get any duty free?
  • Good job you cant see that passenger's face or reg/  
  • Ferryman said:
    Can you get any duty free?
    If you don’t know, how are we?
    Oh yea!
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:
    Good job you cant see that passenger's face or reg/  
    I chose mindfully.
  • clive said:
    Having read that try clicking onto the pop up news item regarding the raid on a brothel. There is a 30 sec videos showing about a dozen police officers in riot gear steaming into a flat above a shop.  A bit OTT ???
  • clive said:
    Having read that try clicking onto the pop up news item regarding the raid on a brothel. There is a 30 sec videos showing about a dozen police officers in riot gear steaming into a flat above a shop.  A bit OTT ???
    Does it show the address (asking for a friend)
  • edited April 30
    Has taken me 50 minutes to get across on the past two crossings, South to north. Single boat operating on both occasions, one a Thursday, and the other Saturday. 50 minutes is too long but I wasn't in a rush.

A few observations;
    1. People not pulling up to the vehicle in front. So a few more cars could always get onboard. It takes 30 minutes for a single boat to load up and return to take its next load, so thanks to these bad eggs that's a few more drivers waiting another 30 minutes to get across. There would need to be extra staff to police this.
    2.A few drivers keeping their engines running during the whole wait time. This ought to be stopped, or at least advised against with some notices.
    3. Theres a holding area - I hadn't known this, until I was directed into it on the Thursday crossing. It holds about 2 or 3 ferry loads of vehicles but you can't see it from the road so join the queue with no idea of knowing how long the wait might be. Some electronic boards indicating wait time would help.

Great service if it works well, and should be enhanced. Good luck to the staff in their dispute. We only have three other crossing points in the whole of the east side of London; Rotherhithe, Blackwell and Dartford, and this is the more industrial and  residential side of London. I couldn't imagine this situation being tolerated in the west.
  • Has taken me 50 minutes to get across on the past two crossings, South to north. Single boat operating on both occasions, one a Thursday, and the other Saturday. 50 minutes is too long but I wasn't in a rush.

A few observations;
    1. People not pulling up to the vehicle in front. So a few more cars could always get onboard. It takes 30 minutes for a single boat to load up and return to take its next load, so thanks to these bad eggs that's a few more drivers waiting another 30 minutes to get across. There would need to be extra staff to police this.
    2.A few drivers keeping their engines running during the whole wait time. This ought to be stopped, or at least advised against with some notices.
    3. Theres a holding area - I hadn't known this, until I was directed into it on the Thursday crossing. It holds about 2 or 3 ferry loads of vehicles but you can't see it from the road so join the queue with no idea of knowing how long the wait might be. Some electronic boards indicating wait time would help.

Great service if it works well, and should be enhanced. Good luck to the staff in their dispute. We only have three other crossing points in the whole of the end side of London; Rotherhithe, Blackwell and Dartford, and this is the more industrial and  residential side of London. I couldn't imagine this situation being tolerated in the west.
    50 mins? Christ.
    Does it go Woolwich to Gravesend now?
  • Why do the staff wear hard hats? serious question.
    What H&S fuckwit has decided this one? And safety glasses ???
  • ADVANCE WARNING There is planned strike action tomorrow on the Woolwich Ferry. If it goes ahead, drivers should use alternative routes and can plan their journey through our website. The Woolwich Foot Tunnel will remain open for foot passengers and cyclists.
    https://twitter.com/TfLTrafficNews
  • clive said:
    ADVANCE WARNING There is planned strike action tomorrow on the Woolwich Ferry. If it goes ahead, drivers should use alternative routes and can plan their journey through our website. The Woolwich Foot Tunnel will remain open for foot passengers and cyclists.
    https://twitter.com/TfLTrafficNews
    Thanks, was going to use it tomorrow.