Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Banned after Accrington

Comments

• Options
    Didn't they let the no it's no buts 3 off with a warning when they went on the pitch 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    I think their hands are tied, have to be seen to follow the law, probably done very reluctantly (by certain staff, not all) and hopefully kept to the bare minimum ban, rock and hard place springs to mind.

This seems most likely.

Given Accrington were charged there would have been EFL eyes on the game so likely CAFC were charged with the pitch invasion.

We know Keohane loves the idea of banning fans so can imagine he was keen while other, more sensible, voices had no choice once the police and EFL got involved.
  • Options
    If the fans were on the pitch out of sheer jubilation it does seem like an overreaction. 

If any of them happened to have a history, home or away, of encroachment, abusive or threatening behaviour, it might be appropriate to deal with them more firmly that the others. 
  • Options
    Has there been no comment from the club?
  • Options
    If by law they have to ban people for this, the club can't really do much as the EFL will be watching us even more closely due to our ownership situation, this is something the EFL can enforce.

However, whatever way you look at it, it's ridiculous. It was a high pressure and emotional game and we scored a winner in the last minute, it's natural for people in the moment to go crazy and with that meant a few people entered the pitch, if that's what you can call it considering it was right in the corner and arguably more just off the pitch.

Players when celebrating sometimes go into the crowd, they get booked and nothing more happens. Fans lose their head for a moment and get banned from attending their club. In my opinion it's wrong. I am not saying players should be banned for doing similar, not at all, but come on have a bit of common sense and take the context into consideration, it's not like the were running on the pitch and being aggressive or stopping the game from being played.
  • Options
    This is a poor decision by the club . The bans should be overturned . The fans didn't interrupt play , and did they even go on the playing surface . Banned for celebrating a late goal with the players . Ridiculous .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not in the least bit surprised, Bielik saw that even by taking a foot to the balls it was well intentioned. 

If the club have done this because of pressure from the football league then I'm left just shaking my head. 

Then again the club are run by abhorrent pygmies, so why is anyone surprised. 
  • Options
    This is a poor decision by the club . The bans should be overturned . The fans didn't interrupt play , and did they even go on the playing surface . Banned for celebrating a late goal with the players . Ridiculous .
    One maybe does deserve a three match ban but to fair did get the ball(s)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Absolutely the right decision.

There's no place in the game for behaviour like that.

They weren't even Charlton fans.

It was West Ham looking to do over Accrington.

A likely story, young man.

I'm too long in the tooth for those kind of tales.

What about if I said it was our cup final?
  • Options
    suspect Roland didn't want to pay a fine if he said no to FL

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Who knew you can't run on the pitch?

If it had been away fans we'd all be saying right decision.

Exactly! You do not encroach on the playing area. The same goes for the players. If they climb over the barriers to celebrate with the fans (see the Cardiff guy this weekend) they get booked - or worse.

I know we all get caught up in the emotions of the game, that's what we go for - and especially against Accrington, scoring a last kick winner. But, the rules are the rules  - STAY OFF THE PITCH!

• Options
    What about all the fans who went onto the pitch when we achieved promotion away to Carlisle?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They tend to turn a blind eye to end of season pitch invasions. You can't just ban hundreds of supporters.
  • Options
    has this actually been confirmed?
  • Options
    What about all the fans who went onto the pitch when we achieved promotion away to Carlisle?
    Shhhh!  o:)
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I doubt it. Most would have forgotten about it 5 seconds after leaving the ground.
  • Options
    Honestly if you run on the pitch after beating Accrington Stanley 1-0 then you probably deserve everything you get...
    Personally i think it's class that we had a pitch invasion for a last minute winner against them!

Club had no other option, do nothing and it sets a precedent.
  • Options
    barely on the pitch tbf 
  • Options
    1905 said:
    addick05 said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly! You do not encroach on the playing area. The same goes for the players. If they climb over the barriers to celebrate with the fans (see the Cardiff guy this weekend) they get booked - or worse.

I know we all get caught up in the emotions of the game, that's what we go for - and especially against Accrington, scoring a last kick winner. But, the rules are the rules  - STAY OFF THE PITCH!

Rules are rules.  But you also expect the punishment to reflect the "crime".  On this occasion a letter to those involved, would have been ok.

Totally agree. They were wrong in coming on to the pitch/playing area but as you say, a written warning should have sufficed. By the way does anyone know how long the bans are?
  • Options
    Take it those saying it is right would be saying that those throwing pigs and crisp packets on the pitch or going on there after the Burnley game should also be banned? Would not surprise me.

Complete lack of common sense and lack of proportionality.  Go on there and threaten a player etc fair enough but celebrating a last minute winner in a tense match ffs.  Can see how damp squib bores are applauding this banning of fellow fans and the old suited morons that run the game insist on it.

The club is run by morons and is lucky it has any fans at all left.  The EFL need to pay a bit more attention as to who they approve to run English football institutions.  

Pathetic club at times with some reall dull followers.
    I think it was brilliant. But if you go on the pitch, you are removed and I think usually get a ban. Nobody is talking about anything other than that.

Also, we're relying on second and third hand information here. And it's worth noting that we don't know how long they've been banned for. If it's for life, completely agree, that's ridiculous. If it's until the end of the season, I would say yeah fair enough. 

Again, it's a brilliant moment. But contained within it is a great reason why it's not legal, you could injur a player, even if it's unintentional. I feel like you have the whole cause and effect right there. As with bad tackles, the idea that "nobody got hurt" is not usually the best way to uphold the law. 

Also, it's not clear what choice, if any, the club has in this. So for all the things we hate them for, it might be worth having a more thorough understanding of the situation. 

Again, if it's a lifetime ban or multi-year ban I'm with you, it's silly. But again, I just think the cause and effect here are pretty straightforward. 

• Options
    Harsh, regardless of whoever it was, but, if the club was under pressure from the Met and footballing authorities they had little choice I guess, the law is the law even if the law was brought in to combat disorder and not peacful celebration.

Shame a little descretion couldnt be shown in this instance, maybe it was as we dont know how severe the ban. 
  • Options
    Based on this persons twitter feed on the subject someone called Mark Anderson hass been banned for the rest of the season.