Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr.

Comments

• Options
    I thought he finished pretty high in our average player marks last season.
  • Options
    KBslittlesis probably looking after them for you 
  • Options
    I think it is fair to say that there is a pattern with "bigger moments" or games with greater pressure? Some players like to outperform when no expectation is placed on them. I think our Nabby falls under this bracket of player. 

- Doncaster semi final = penalty shootout miss with a highly predictable kick

- Playoff final = Hauled off after losing head from loss of early goal at HT

- Millwall game = Losing man and showing no aggression led to 2 goals at set pieces. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:

It's a doggy dog world out there and people will always look for escape goats.

Naby being a pacific example.

I'm on tender hooks to see how this one pans out.

Is this trolling on a meta-level? 
    Or is the reason @Big_Bad_World spends so much time on here rather than SpannerLife is that he's actually quite well-educated and knows these phrases are all wrong but still understandable. 

Onto Naby - I didn't think Millwall away was the right game for him. Has he made a mistake? Yes. Does that mean we should over-react and get rid as some have been saying? No. 

For all intensive purposes, your first paragraph is spot on :)
  • Options
    rananegra said:

It's a doggy dog world out there and people will always look for escape goats.

Naby being a pacific example.

I'm on tender hooks to see how this one pans out.

Onto Naby - I didn't think Millwall away was the right game for him. Has he made a mistake? Yes. Does that mean we should over-react and get rid as some have been saying? No. 

Rananegra, which player would you have had marking the 6'6" 15 stone Smith? 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Scoham said:
    Sorry Leuth but people have been saying for weeks that he was looking like a disaster waiting to happen. All you had to offer was that he looked to get the ball moving from the back and nothing he had done lead to goals conceded.

After watching Saturday’s performance, were the majority right or were you?
    Millwall away isn’t a game I’d have played Sarr in. Clearly Leuth overrates him, but neither is he a complete liability who should never play for us again. He’s had good games this season and his passing out from the back has given us something our other CBs don’t have.

He’ll play again and he’ll have good games as he had before. I’d leave him on the bench for now though and return to a back four.
    Sensible post. People seem to have forgotten that he was runner up in last season's Player of the Year, no mean feat. His performances have dipped since last season's playoffs though, which to me shows he has a major problem with nerves. Do we have a sports psychologist, because perhaps he'd benefit from seeing one?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Again, that is a really facile comment. He's played well until the last couple of games and shown he easily belongs at this level, and if he didn't have the odd brainfreeze he'd be borderline Premiership standard. There's so much to work with 
    I would have thought you may have stopped the trolling bearing in mind the criticism you've had this week.
    But you obviously revel it.
    I don't understand what you mean by trolling? I thought that's when you're aggressive and rude towards someone online, and Leuth doesn't seem to be like that.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Again, that is a really facile comment. He's played well until the last couple of games and shown he easily belongs at this level, and if he didn't have the odd brainfreeze he'd be borderline Premiership standard. There's so much to work with 
    I would have thought you may have stopped the trolling bearing in mind the criticism you've had this week.
    Defending a player Bowyer himself has praised within the last few weeks is 'trolling' is it? 
    It's not your defence, it's more the actual wording of your defence.

The vast majority of us want him to do well and have been and will continue, to back him the length and breadth of the country.

But you say "he easily belongs at this level, and if he didn't have the odd brain freeze he'd be borderline Premiership standard." 
    That isn't trolling is it? He might be wrong, but you're implying he's only saying it in order to wind everyone up. And even if he is, then that's different from trolling.
    That's just my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    Is Sarr a bit like Carl Tyler? Awesome in the Championship but shit in the premier. Where Sarr ain’t great in Championship but great in league 1
  • Options
    But if you look at Player Marks he was going really pretty well until the last two games.

Wonder how his Senegal debut is going - is it tonight? Tomorrow?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Leuth said:
    But if you look at Player Marks he was going really pretty well until the last two games.

They played yesterday - don’t know if he was involved . They won 2 -0 so I doubt he played  ;).

Next game is on Sunday. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Defending a player Bowyer himself has praised within the last few weeks is 'trolling' is it? 

The vast majority of us want him to do well and have been and will continue, to back him the length and breadth of the country.

But you say "he easily belongs at this level, and if he didn't have the odd brain freeze he'd be borderline Premiership standard." 
    That isn't trolling is it? He might be wrong, but you're implying he's only saying it in order to wind everyone up. And even if he is, then that's different from trolling.
    He is saying it to wind every one up.
    He listed the next few players he will "defend" when he's had enough of defending Naby.
    It's all a big game, his form of fun/entertainment.
    Anyway, we need to move on it's all rather sad.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

They played yesterday - don’t know if he was involved . They won 2 -0 so I doubt he played  ;).

Next game is on Sunday. 
     Sarr was on the bench, but has immediately adopted the no.4 shirt. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

He is saying it to wind every one up.
    He listed the next few players he will "defend" when he's had enough of defending Naby.
    It's all a big game, his form of fun/entertainment.
    Anyway, we need to move on it's all rather sad.
    Come on mate. You know better than that. Leuth has his view and he means it. The comment you refer to was him trying to make light of the fact that he has basically become Naby's PR company.

Whilst I don't completely agree with him he does make some good points. Naby hasn't suddenly become a bad player, he has strengths that our other defenders don't have and some games will suit him more than others. The reaction on here to his performance on Saturday is way OTT.
  • Options
    I will be defending Tomer Hemed though
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I will be defending Tomer Hemed though
    There you go.
    Game plan already in place
  • Options
    To be fair his (Hemed's) incredible goal-saving tackle vs Brentford is more or less the best thing a Charlton player has done all season!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

That's exactly what trolling is.

Leuth is an expert at it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That quiet sound you can hear on the wind... thats the sound of Leuth quietly sobbing into his dinner

Jokes aside that would be disappointing - He's certainly good enough to be an option ar CBs at the very least

Question is... Where would he go to get similar terms to what he's on now - Maybe if he had carried on from last season in similar form then he'd have teams higher in the Championship chasing him, the fact he's rotated more makes me doubtful
  • Options
    Is he on THAT much for a championship player?  I would assume he is one of the best payed players at the club but if his wages would be the problem (not that Bowyer wants to keep him or not) it doesn't sound positive. 
  • Options
    We can do much much better.
  • Options
     At his salary, I expect I'd agree. 

Would love to know what our intended pay structure is, but where would you see that elsewhere?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Would love to know what our intended pay structure is, but where would you see that elsewhere?
    At an estimated guess I would say the model is likely to be along the lines of - a few star players on 10-12k, first teamers 8-10k and fringe/squad players 6-8k. I could be wrong but would be surprised if that is miles out.
  • Options
    On his salary we can do better, but the question is, is that salary available to another player? I suspect those wages will be split between a couple of squad players, but personally I'd keep Naby over Pearce right now
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

I know I love a football manager stat, but I think it’s somewhat close. They have Naby as second highest earner on 7k p/w. 

Edit: think I quoted the wrong post there 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

At an estimated guess I would say the model is likely to be along the lines of - a few star players on 10-12k, first teamers 8-10k and fringe/squad players 6-8k. I could be wrong but would be surprised if that is miles out.
    I think Rotherham's average wage last season was about 4k a week. And by far the lowest in the league.

Rumour has it ours is even lower, but I think it includes all professional players and we think we have more "young professionals" who are on much less than that.

If your basing that all a 23 odd man squad we would be "surviving" at best IMO.