Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Emiliano Sala plane crash

Comments

• Options

Not sure they can leave the plane down there. It will become an environmental hazard for a start, although I think they already know what happened. The plane is likely to break up unless they get a decent cradle to lift it.

I've dived quite a few wrecks over the years. They've invariably seemed beneficial to the local marine ecosystem. What environmental hazards would a small aircraft pose?
  • Options

Not sure they can leave the plane down there. It will become an environmental hazard for a start, although I think they already know what happened. The plane is likely to break up unless they get a decent cradle to lift it.

I've dived quite a few wrecks over the years. They've invariably seemed beneficial to the local marine ecosystem. What environmental hazards would a small aircraft pose?
    Oil from the engine and other lubricants, anything else it was carrying.... I assume you visited wrecks that were years old...
  • Options
    The only other thread on a plane crash that I can recall was the Malaysian Airliner that disappeared?

Is the reason this one is being debated so much, simply because there was a footballer on board, rather than the crash itself?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

This incident has shown me how far away I am from the 21st century.

Idon't doubt the serenity and solomness of the ocassion.

I try to apply this to my life. If I was introduced to a new bloke at work on Friday, told he was starting Monday and taking my mates job; then found out he tragically died over the weekend, I would experience a passing trifling sense of sadness at best.
    It wouldn't be a testing or difficult situation for me.

Fair play to Cardiff for everything they did today and over the past week. Modern day society can show display grief so much differently than the older generation.

Not sure it is a generational thing, however I do guess in the world of social media where everyone is connected, and you can get more of a sense of what people are like through pictures, videos, stories etc, it is easier for incidents like this to resonant among people, and for them to share those thoughts.

That being said it is reassuring that there are people outside my friendship group that share a similar opinion to me in that they find peoples emotional reaction to this incident not in line with theirs. Of course the loss of Sala (and the pilot that no one seems to care about) must be absolutely horrific for his immediate family and friends, but when a poster on here, who probably never heard of Sala before the incident, says he has tears in his eyes because he reads his name in Arsenals match programme, I wonder why my feelings are so far apart from this.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm grumpy or emotionally dead to these sort of things. But I guess like cables said there is no right or wrong in that essence.
    I feel the same. It's similar to when Diana died. There was a woman at work who was literally in floods of tears over it. She'd never met Diana, never even seen her in the flesh and I couldn't recall this lady ever speaking about her but her death sparked this, in my view, bizarre show of grief.

Saying that, since becoming a parent I find any story involving death or injury to a young child an absolute tear-jerker so go figure!
    It certainly changes your outlook. A bit off topic I know, but this reminded me of a study designed to demonstrate the influence of parenthood on male thinking one of my classmates did when I was a psychology student. If I remember correctly it showed the strongest correlation of any study conducted by our group. People were asked to select their favourite picture from a range of animal photos. The photos were all either cute and cuddly cubs, pups and kits or rather ferocious looking adults. Women almost always selected cute animals, childless men almost always picked fierce ones. Fathers with you children tended to pick cuter photos but this lessened as their children grew older.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Rizzo said:

This incident has shown me how far away I am from the 21st century.

Idon't doubt the serenity and solomness of the ocassion.

I try to apply this to my life. If I was introduced to a new bloke at work on Friday, told he was starting Monday and taking my mates job; then found out he tragically died over the weekend, I would experience a passing trifling sense of sadness at best.
    It wouldn't be a testing or difficult situation for me.

Fair play to Cardiff for everything they did today and over the past week. Modern day society can show display grief so much differently than the older generation.

Not sure it is a generational thing, however I do guess in the world of social media where everyone is connected, and you can get more of a sense of what people are like through pictures, videos, stories etc, it is easier for incidents like this to resonant among people, and for them to share those thoughts.

That being said it is reassuring that there are people outside my friendship group that share a similar opinion to me in that they find peoples emotional reaction to this incident not in line with theirs. Of course the loss of Sala (and the pilot that no one seems to care about) must be absolutely horrific for his immediate family and friends, but when a poster on here, who probably never heard of Sala before the incident, says he has tears in his eyes because he reads his name in Arsenals match programme, I wonder why my feelings are so far apart from this.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm grumpy or emotionally dead to these sort of things. But I guess like cables said there is no right or wrong in that essence.
    I feel the same. It's similar to when Diana died. There was a woman at work who was literally in floods of tears over it. She'd never met Diana, never even seen her in the flesh and I couldn't recall this lady ever speaking about her but her death sparked this, in my view, bizarre show of grief.

Saying that, since becoming a parent I find any story involving death or injury to a young child an absolute tear-jerker so go figure!
    It certainly changes your outlook. A bit off topic I know, but this reminded me of a study designed to demonstrate the influence of parenthood on male thinking one of my classmates did when I was a psychology student. If I remember correctly it showed the strongest correlation of any study conducted by our group. People were asked to select their favourite picture from a range of animal photos. The photos were all either cute and cuddly cubs, pups and kits or rather ferocious looking adults. Women almost always selected cute animals, childless men almost always picked fierce ones. Fathers with you children tended to pick cuter photos but this lessened as their children grew older.
    Sorry to keep it off topic but they did a similar experiment with a crying baby doll. Women and men with children had an increase in stress levels when the doll was crying, but men without children were completely unmoved
  • Options
    I would be more nervous flying in a single engined plane over the sea. It stands to reason that over land it could find a field to make an emergency landing in if it developed engine issues. Also, with only one pilot, what if the pilot had a health issue? I suppose sometimes in life you take the risk and usually there is no drama.

• Options
    French club Nantes have demanded payment from Cardiff City over the £15m transfer of Emiliano Sala, BBC Wales has learned.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47146614

• Options
    clive said:

French club Nantes have demanded payment from Cardiff City over the £15m transfer of Emiliano Sala, BBC Wales has learned.

Classy.
  • Options
    split it imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    or...donate it to his family?
  • Options
    clive said:

Very poor from Nantes.

All this caring in public view they have been showing over the past few weeks then they go a do this before a body has even been recovered, showing that they only care about the money
  • Options
    Anyone know why Cardiff are disputing the payments now?
  • Options
    Surely this is a matter for the insurance companies to sort out.
  • Options
    Surely Cardiff would have insured him? And would it be £15m guaranteed upfront anyway?
  • Options

Surely this is a matter for the insurance companies to sort out.

I don't know the ins and outs of circumstances such as this, but it is very difficult to get a death certificate without a body, and equally difficult to make an insurance claim without a death certificate.

Not a straight forward process at all, made harder by the sums of money involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure where I stand on this. He is/was a Cardiff player, so technically they should pay the money. However, personally I believe the only people who should profit from this awful event is the players family. Hopefully common sense will prevail & the clubs will reach a suitable agreement
  • Options

clive said:

Very poor from Nantes.

All this caring in public view they have been showing over the past few weeks then they go a do this before a body has even been recovered, showing that they only care about the money
    Couldn't disagree more. Nantes shouldn't need to even ask for it in my opinion.

The transfer had been ratified and he was a Cardiff player at the time of the crash. Cardiff would have had insurance, not Nantes. If he was alive Cardiff would have paid.

Quite shameful that Cardiff would use his death to renege on an agreement. The same Cardiff who didn't pay £20k to organise a private jet for him.
    Shameful in the sense that they are threatening legal action before even the bodies have been recovered.

Not disputing the fact that Cardiff should pay the contracted fee and claim on the insurance. Unlikely the man from the Pru is rushing to Cardiff as we speak as, for the moment, Sala is just missing presumed dead.
  • Options

clive said:

Very poor from Nantes.

Couldn't disagree more. Nantes shouldn't need to even ask for it in my opinion.

The transfer had been ratified and he was a Cardiff player at the time of the crash. Cardiff would have had insurance, not Nantes. If he was alive Cardiff would have paid.

Quite shameful that Cardiff would use his death to renege on an agreement. The same Cardiff who didn't pay £20k to organise a private jet for him.
    ???

I remember reading that Cardiff offered travel but it was from France to Heathrow and then car from Heathrow to Cardiff and he wanted a quicker route so arranged the plan himself.

In regards to Cardiff not paying they have said they will pay but are waiting for all the reports(which probably means insurance havemt paid them yet as they are waiting on reports as well) Nantes are a top division team and I am sure they can wait a few weeks for all the reports to be out and his family get a bit of closure, no need to threaten Cardiff with court whilst its all still raw foe his family, I am sure they are not happy reading all this.
  • Options
    Was gonna pose this question when plane went missing, but wasn't the right time. At least I got my answer.....
  • Options

Was gonna pose this question when plane went missing, but wasn't the right time. At least I got my answer.....

Well.......if you were buying a house.....
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    No doubt Cardiff have to pay the initial fee but I’d assume it was loaded with appearance/goals scored related payments and as you can’t be sure they would have ever been triggered I’d doubt they are liable for them. Also, if it was 50% of the fee now and the rest over the length of the contract can they still make the staged payments in one, two, three years time?

It is a tad insensitive of Nantes to raise this so soon, especially threatening legal action, but I’m sure they have their own financial commitments that are relying on this payment. Also, Cardiff would have been due to pay the contracted part of the fee now so waiting on the insurance is not going to wash.

Just read the story, how can Cardiff say they are withholding payment until they are satisfied with the documentation? If they was something wrong with the documentation the transfer wouldn’t have gone ahead. You’d assume they got their lawyers to draw it up/look at it first. Unless their lawyer is Katrien of course ....
  • Options

My initia thought is that this is a storm on a teacup.

Nantes asking for the readies is the formal start of the process to get the insurance payout.

The insurance payout is nothing to do with Nantes though. He was Cardiff's player and their insurer will pay them what the player was insured for. And that will probably be more than they were expected to pay for the player.

Cardiff haven't stopped playing have they? They haven't stopped selling tickets or merchandise either. So why stall on the payment? And why leak this story unless Cardiff wanted to get the public on their side and make Nantes look like money grabbers? Unless, of course, the paperwork was either incorrectly or not completed in time, of course, which might negate Cardiff's insurance cover.

Whatever the reason this should have been kept between the clubs. It's bad enough that the lad lost his life without dragging financial settlements into the public domain as Cardiff have by leaking it to BBC Wales.